Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The purpose of the more open grip, is to increase the distance between your knuckles and the trigger guard, and to put your shooting hand into a more horizontal position,

Rap your knuckles on the trigger guard a few times during recoil, and the physics become quite clear.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I dig closed grips and palm swells. Goes to show opinions vary. Big fan of the Gamescout stocks.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nah, vertical sucks offhand.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Haven't noticed an issue. I shoot a lot of AR so maybe I am used to it though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall
IMO it boils down to personal preference and hand size. P P may boil down to hand size and comfort.

Personally I can't stand palm swells. I love the Rem M R and Win 70 XTR featherweights.

What's your preference?

I agree with jwall. However, I also like the grip on the Mcmillan hunters compact. I also have pretty damn big mitts, so go figure. I also don't mind the length of the hunters compact forend. 16 bore brought that up, and that has never given me any issues?? I also don't like palm swells or a raised cheek piece (no that's not a montecarlo).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by blgoode
It is a standard fill. I'm worried that the 20" barrel length would under balance the overall stock but maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

The hunters compact is designed with a shorter barrel in mind as the forend is shorter than a standard stock...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. Next year restocking the 20" may be a project to starts I I'm trying to explore options now.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you haven't seen utah708's thread on the rifle stock template you need to check it out. Most of the rifles he pictures are Winchester model 70's. There are also kimbers and some pre 64's thrown in for good measure wink

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5534487/1

BSA MAGA
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what got me getting an itch to restock my current FN M70 Conpact smile

It is an evil thread but tons of information you wouldn't pick up on with out that template.

Here is my 7mm-08
[Linked Image]

30-06
[Linked Image]

The 30-06 is in need of a scope swap so that is a priority first.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like guns with a palm swell as well as guns with a more open grip, but I like my Glock 20 so that might say something. I think this is why I don't mind my ew model 70 stock that many seem to deplore.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just curious as to what is the advantage if a more open grip such as in the McMillsn a Compact vs the McMillan Featherweight for the Winchester M70.

All I have is the stock featherweight rifle and one in the Sako Hunter style and they both have similarly closed grips.

Until I can try and locate a rifle with a more open grip to handle I thought if ask here.

I personally prefer an open slim grip when standing/hunting from foot, and a tight thicker grip when sitting in a vehicle or from a bench.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jumping topic a little or it may be related.....out of curiosity, how may of you are thumb wrappers on your grip and how many leave your thumb on the same side of the grip as your trigger finger or in line with the bolt...and do you prefer the open or closed grip?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wrap and like an open grip....but not too "open". Some designs look like they're in a wind tunnel,and the transition of the grip into the comb is so gradual, it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins.

Don't care for those at all. A Bridges McMillan is an example, and so is the synthetic stock on Dakotas.

I like enough downturn in the grip that the heel of the hand finds someplace to "stop" instead of sliding around all over the place, looking for the trigger.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/06/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More of a wrap here. I also find on many rifles that the forward end of the comp is often to close. I have moved it back on some wood stocked rifles.

The forward edge of the comp catches the meaty part just below my thumb, which keeps my hand from getting a good wrap and causes the lower two fingers to begin to loose purchase.

I shoot with a high elbow hold so that my trigger arm is a little higher then being parallel to the ground.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I like enough downturn in the grip that the heel of the hand finds someplace to "stop" instead of sliding around all over the place, looking for the trigger.

That's it, the really open grips leaves me feeling for the back of the grip and I end up with my fingers touching my palm, not unlike a straight grip stock on some older side x side doubles.
Maybe faster to shoulder, but for a rifle I want a firm grasp in my hands.

I like the grips on the Winchester XTR, and featherweights as well as the Rem 700's and I like the palm swell of a Tikka T3.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's what got me getting an itch to restock my current FN M70 Conpact smile

It is an evil thread but tons of information you wouldn't pick up on with out that template.

Here is my 7mm-08
[Linked Image]

30-06
[Linked Image]

The 30-06 is in need of a scope swap so that is a priority first.

blgoode. To me, the grip on the newer Winchester model 70's (like the one in your picture) are just too fat. I say this even though I have pretty big hands. The slimmer more "open" grip on the McMillan hunters compact is more comfortable and more controllable when shooting offhand as some of these guys have already pointed out. I personally like the grip on the older New Haven featherweights as jmr40 also pointed out in a previous post. I don't know why they changed the ergonomics of these stocks as most people I talk to think the newer stocks are just fatter all the way around. Here's an older XTR fwt for an example. Sorry I haven't had it on the template yet, but you still get the idea:

[Linked Image]

Here is a newer FN FWT similar to yours (although it is not the compact model):
[Linked Image]

Here is the hunters compact on an FN EW:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

As the grip opens more and more it requires the shooter to raise the elbow further and further in order to have a firm grip on the wrist. A straight stock would be the extreme example.

I'm so used to a little more closed than normal with shotguns, that it feels normal on rifles.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue, most (if not all) of my shotguns have slim grips. Even my old sterlingworth has a long slender grip. I feel like it gives more control on a quick shot.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And high elbow raises the shoulder, which for me lines everything up perfectly. Many of my rifles have too low of a comb if I keep my elbow down.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct.

In my case, I'm pretty much the average guy they make stocks for, so they do fine.

Naturally I don't get a playback when things are happening quick, but I'm sure I don't have the elbow positioned high.

BSA: Used a straight stocked shotgun for Ruffed Grouse for a short period of time. Never could get it consistently and unconsciously mounted right. Probably due to the fact for the most part I wasn't always on flat ground or had the opportunity to set my feet just so.

I'm sure it works well for the driven shoots in England-which is where the style originated-I'm not sure the same applies to the Grouse woods in Pa.

Last edited by battue; 06/06/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.