Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Why have 1000 yard shooters gone from 30 caliber magnums to smaller rounds?

Because you don't have to kill a target.

Taken completely out of context. Congratulations, you have made a virtual career of the tactic.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bullsh**. The context is the 7-08 and elk.

Is the 7-08 a 1000 yard elk rifle?

Bonus points for talking about internet "tactics" and careers though.

PS, when you brought up 1000 yard shooting, you did it while talking about hunting:

I don't have a use for a 300 Mag, as I don't hunt T-Rex.

Why have 1000 yard shooters gone from 30 caliber magnums to smaller rounds?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Bullschit! We were discussing the downsizing in cartridges in competition. I'm sorry that reading comprehension is so difficult for you.

1000 yard elk shots should be phugging illegal, and if I saw you take such a shot in the field I would bend your rifle barrel over your frigging head.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bullschit! We were discussing the downsizing in cartridges in competition.

1000 yard elk shots should be phugging illegal, and if I saw you take such a shot in the field I would bend your rifle barrel over your frigging head.

Ah, so now you're the ethics police? Good to know.

When you brought up 1000 yard shots, it was in the context of hunting (see my post above).

And if you tried to bend my rifle over my head, you'd have to pull it out of your ass first, because that's where it'd be.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
See that little space between the sentences? That's called a paragraph break. It means a different subject is being discussed.

Like I said, if I ever saw you try that stupid schit in the field, you would be a hurting unit.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
GFY. Ethics police on the internet.

Is that above the pay grade of mall ninja?

PSS: When did I ever say I'd shoot an elk at 1000 yards, ass-wipe.

You need to chill. Then GFY.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What I'm getting at is not that one should use a 223. Or that competitive shooting is the same as shooting elk. What I'm saying is that folks don't shoot big guns as well as smaller ones. Will that make a difference on an elk? It does hundreds if not thousands of times every season.

What I am saying is guys that don't shoot big guns well won't shoot small guns well either.

Those guys would wound/miss just as many elk with a 243, 25-06 or 270. They refuse to shoot.

Dink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dink, most people will shoot a smaller round like the .308 family better than a magnum. That's just a fact.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grown men fighting about stupid schitt...again.
I know, I know.....GFM.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're right. it's stupid schitt. But I don't think you can call it grown men fighting, it's the internet.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're right. it's stupid schitt. But I don't think you can call it grown men fighting, it's the internet.

Pretty much.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dink is wrong.
7-08 is viable elk medicine.
Goat likes em in close.

Did I miss anything?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Elkmen
KRP
Actually Wayne Van Zwoll has done a little research on popular elk calibers. At RMEF gatherings he has in the past handed out forms and gathered cartridge sales data, from the manufactures. The last time I chatted with him (4) years back his data showed that the most popular elk cartridge was the 30:06 a close second and third were the 300 WM and the 7 mm Mag. Whether or not this is still the case I am not sure, but it is interesting info !

RMEF or any critter org banquet is not a representation of the average hunter, they are a representation of their board and lesser their members. And I have never seen statistics of a magnum breaking into the top 5 of centerfire sales. 7 mag may be 6 or 7, though taking away the 223 and 3030, it may be 4 or 5 in elk guns used currently.

3006/270/308 vs 7mag/300wm/338wm out in the field on an elk hunt... if you've been in many elk camps you know which group dominates.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
Why someone would shoot an elk in the arse is beyond me. Too much good eating wasted.

There are three reasons I can think of.

1. After the first shot(s), the elk is possibly ore even known to be wounded and the hunter follows a philosophy shared by many of shooting it until it is down and stays there. The only shot opportunity presented may be a bad angle or a full-on THS. Distasteful as some find taking such shots, losing some meat is better than losing the whole animal, which is an all too often occurrence.

2. The shot to the rear is the result of an animal moving but was not the intended placement.

3. The other is that some folks just can�t resist taking what may be the only shot opportunity they get. Apparently their philosophy is some meat is better than none.

At times I�ve been guilty of both #2 and #3 and would rather be guilty of #1 than lose a possibly wounded animal.

Back in the early 1980�s I took my first elk after first anchoring it with a 160g slug to the right rear hip, the only area where I had a clear shot. That was the only such shot I�ve taken intentionally but it did exactly what I wanted, slowing and stopping the bull so the cows cleared, giving me a clear broadside to the chest area a few seconds later. (7mm RM, 160g Grand Slam, ~100 yards.)

A few years back I took a quartering shot at a mulie buck. It stepped forward and turned just as the trigger broke. The bullet hit the right ham and proceeded to penetrate to the sternum. It was clearly a case of �enough gun� even though placement was far from what was intended. (7mm RM, 140g North Fork, ~150 yards.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Back to the original topic, if we can take a break from the cackling...

Me daughter shot an elk with that load last year. She loves the rifle and kills stuff dead. The first shot was 100 and the second shot at 150-200yds. We didn't find either bullet. It was really tough meat, too... I got a cow tag this year.

Admittedly I am a throwback compared to my hunting pard, so just speaking as to personal preferences here. I like more destruction in critter than we saw, but the elk was indeed very dead. Just saying that for all you "very dead" guys. And though am not a scientist, I wager velocity and weight in applicable bullet has something to do with tissue destruction. I don't care if critter dies any faster--just want to see an impact or happily gawk at a big wound channel. Would also posit at more extended ranges my destruction desires would not be abated. Further, it seems to me that at 800 yards an elk could take a dump, sniff it and walk off by the time the bullet arrived....but am biased, as do prefer to get much closer, just to say I did.

Back to cackling...after some trials and having read about it from some now dead gunwriters back in the last century, added a pound or two of weight to the mags on hand. It appears to be a reasonable solution to reducing recoil. In the hills, you get the abuse dosage either way...:)

And imho, Dink is just as right as he is wrong...some guys can't shoot very well period, particularly under pressure and time constraints...

Defend the Constitution
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shoot my Weatherby Super VarmintMaster in .223 much better than I shoot my Weatherby Accumark in .300 Wby Mag.

I'm not gay, either. Open minded, sure, but not active or anything.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You probably shoot the 223 a lot more than the 300. I have an accurate 300 Vanguard. Nice rifle but it's managed to work its way to the back of the safe.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You probably shoot the 223 a lot more than the 300. I have an accurate 300 Vanguard. Nice rifle but it's managed to work its way to the back of the safe.

Not at first, I bought the Accumark a dozen years ago, I've had the .223 for a year and a half, more rounds down the Accumark at this point.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Time will tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps one could ask the following hypothetical question.

You are going to get shot at one time.
There will be an ambulance team and a surgical hospital waiting to try to save you within seconds of the shooting.
Which caliber would you choose to get shot at with?
The 223 or a 338? Anyways the 7mm 08 would work good for elk.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.