Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I would say the design is really solid. By reducing the diameter of the barrel extension and the bolt carrier group DPMS has brought the feeding stack of cartridges 0.040 closer to the bore centerline.

This reduces the feed angle and this thing really does feed slick.

Add the dual ejectors and the elastomer extractor spring and I think the design is inherently more reliable than the old style.

is the mass of the bolt carrier significantly decreased? I will have to go try the buffer springs in the one at my gunshop if its not gone already. I like the 16 inch SS barreled model but I would change out the cheese grater forearm.

The MP10 has gone bang every single time, shoots into an 1 to 11/2 with factory barrel, is 10 pounds or just over with scope, 20 round Pmag and 20 rounds, LT104 mount and sling.

I kind of would like to know how the factory DPMS SS barrels shoot before I dive into the DPMS water.

As far as cratered primers, not sure I care, I hand load but never go over book max.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I kind of would like to know how the factory DPMS SS barrels shoot before I dive into the DPMS water.

The SASS barrels are tack-drivers, those are not factory DPMS barrels. The SS barrel on the Recon I don't know.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm getting the Recon and will share my thoughts after I received it and fired some ammo through it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Comparing both DPMS hunter models it isn't. Looks like average weight savings is about 6-8oz when configured the same way.

The hunter models are not a direct comparison due to different barrel profiles.

The only real comparison is with the 24" bull barrel model.

The weight loss on the SASS is well over 2 lbs but again there are other ways that the Gen II was lightened on that model.

I shot another 100rnds through my Gen II last night and it functioned perfectly with LC M80. The 149gr FMJ chronoed 2800fps in the 20 inch barrel. Doing a 20 rnd mag dump with the 7.62 will really find holes in your recoil management. laugh

One pretty serious design problem with the Gen II is the short shell defector. If you shoot this thing off your left side you will get hit in the face with brass. It is possible that upping the gas would change the ejection pattern on my gun but that does not change the fact that the shell defector is totally inadequate for its intended purpose.

I wonder if they tried to design the defector to minimize damage to the brass but forgot the the deflectors primary purpose of making the rifle safe for use from the left side.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I'm getting the Recon and will share my thoughts after I received it and fired some ammo through it.

That is the model that I am interested in.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
john, can you list all the things they have done to save weight. It would sure be nice if the ar 10's had a standardized setup. I also very much prefer the midwest industries rails I like the gen 2 ss model the best though. The heavy weight for the ar 10's are what got to build a grendel instead. The grendel has turned out to get an oddball and right now its gathering dust in this extreme component shortage. I just can't shoot the thing. it needs the right bullets and the right power for it to do its thing right now I can't get either. a lighter 308 would be better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, I get to thinking about a 6.8 every once in a while as well...but slap my head and say...but you could have had a .308. I like the recon G2 but the cheese grater would have to go at once.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Do you know the actual weight savings on the new design? Meaning, the weight saved by the new receivers and bolt vs. old style with same barrel profile, handguard, stock, etc...?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would buy a 6mm HAGAR if the brass ever became readily available but Hornady can't keep up with the stuff they already make so it'll likely never happen.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, I get to thinking about a 6.8 every once in a while as well...but slap my head and say...but you could have had a .308. I like the recon G2 but the cheese grater would have to go at once.

You talking about the rail?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes sir, the rail, like the stainless barrel and other equipment but have no use for a cheese grater fore end.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Did you get the recon? Pictures? How did it go????

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
hopefully this thread improves dpms reputation so it's not embarrassing to own one anymore. has anyone figured out if it will kill anything yet?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I checked out the dpms hunter gen 2 the other day. YES I think its a game changer. I actually want one. It feels very ar 15 like. even though the free float tube is plain on the hunter model. for a 308 semi I don't need all the doohickeys on the rail. maybe a midwest gen 2 ss rail would be better at a slight weight penalty.

I also thought the trigger was halfway decent too. it was a 2 stage affair. it would be really cool being able to get some custom barrels for it. I would also like to see some wildcats developed for it. a 6mm creedmore would be cool as well as others.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by djones
hopefully this thread improves dpms reputation so it's not embarrassing to own one anymore. has anyone figured out if it will kill anything yet?

[Linked Image]

Been missing you over on THF, good to see you're still thinning the population.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
many here are considering letting DPMS back into the circle of trust... whistle

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
many here are considering letting DPMS back into the circle of trust... whistle
that's more than a game changer. that would redefine the entire sport!

Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
Been missing you over on THF, good to see you're still thinning the population.
you're not missing much. haven't put a smack down on a large number in quite a while. just a few small groups now and then.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The firing pin hole referred to is cratered/ champfered or oversize , like in firing pin rattles. Would it not be easier in either case to match the firing pin to the hole or get a bolt that meets your expectations??? Bushing the bolt seems like a lot of unnecessary execise.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have read a lot on the DPMS Gen II, everyone refers to primer cratering, I have not read a post regards a pierced primer as of yet. If you pierce a primer and it flows into the firing pin hole, I guess it could jam the pin resulting in an inoperable rifle. Looks like from most posts of targets the gun is on average a 1.5 MOA rifle, (some posted targets with .3 inch diameter bullet holes claim better but the eye does not lie). The real attraction is that it handles like a 5.56 AR. Some have gone so far as to claim it obsoletes the 5.56 SPR and will marginalize the 6.8 and 6.5 grendal in a gas gun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/90761/DPMS+RFLRG2REC+GII+Recon+20%2B1+308WIN7.62NATO+16%22

Recon G2, Buds Gun Shop...$1389.00 Cash.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/77868/DPMS+RFLRREC+Recon+AR-10+LR-308+SA+308+Win+16%22+19%2B1+Magpul+M

This is the old style for.....$1180.00

Nice to know that the guns are available.

Y'all seeing any better prices???

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 70 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.