Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
They say a wink is just as good as a nod to a blind horse.

An off- handed shot at a target of opportunity is better than one not taken. And as the pics prove ,sometimes a plan comes together.

Good on ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yup -gitter done Mike..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Hog panel works. It keeps the shoats out. They go right through the 6 x 6 wire mesh panels and hoover the corn right up. Three foot would be good enough to keep hogs out. Forty or so inches will do if you've got cows. I run tee posts into the ground and run a stand of barbed wire along the bottom and the top. Stretch the bottom tight to keep hogs from digging under. Top is for insurance if you got cows. If you got elk, buffalo or a big Brahma bull, you're SOL. If you've got horses you need a pen also as they can reach up and tongue the spinner plate. Four horses will empty a 350 pound feeder in two weeks.
GWB

Do you get by with a circular pen with cattle around or do you have to make square corners with guy wire anchors?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
That's a big'un.

I've hunted the Texas hill country for 15 years now. Seen only two rattlers on the four leases I've been on
However we had a place in east Texas between 1961 and 2007 Four acre lake and a mile of frontage on Peach Creek. Moccasins, rattlers, coral snakes, and copperheads were the poisonous varieties. Tons of cotton-mouth moccasins. One thing about them (moccasins) is that many times, especially on the water, when you got near them you could smell a rotten-egg/putrifaction smell. You knew then you were getting too close.
Over the years it seemed I developed almost a sixth sense when it came to snakes. I'd be walking along a path hunting squirrels. Don't know whether ya'll still hunt or not. My grandfather taught me to walk a few steps, then stop for five minutes or so, then walk a few more steps then stop again for an interval. Slip along quiet and slow, especially under white oaks with a canopy. Many times you would see them moving before they would see you, or you'd hear them cutting acorns or pine cones. I'd use my grandfather's Winchester 63. Nailed many a squirrel. Any how back to snakes. I'd be slipping along looking up and the next thing I'd know I'd get a feeling and either jump back or take a leap forward. Almost always would be a snake that I'd have stepped on in the pathway. Can't tell ya' how many times that happened.

Best,

GWB

I do the same with a 63 in the switch cane and palmetto bottoms and pin oak bottoms and pine and post oak and white/red oak hills around Piney Creek in Polk Co. There are very few rattlers but a fair bit of moccasins and copperheads.

It's nice to still hunt down a trail by the creek in the switch cane after the pin oaks drop acorns. A startled cat squirrel will notice something amiss and jump up on a trunk. Then it's time to try a head shot before it's gone.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rev/MC: just now saw this thread. You guys are about two hrs south of me. Are you in cattle country? Pigs roam up here too, even in populated areas of Orange Park where I live. Nice to see open country in Florida. Again, thanks for sharing.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Are you in cattle country?

Yep. Millionaires to the east of us, cows to the west. Y'all are having problems with bears up there now, aren't you?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by eyeball

Do you get by with a circular pen with cattle around or do you have to make square corners with guy wire anchors?

One guy in particular does a round pen at his two locations and has not had a problem with cows getting in .

As hog panel is 16'in length I generally make my pens 31' x 31' square, overlapping a foot and space the T-posts about 6' apart or so. Yes, I usually brace from the inside corner with a diagonal T-post.

[Linked Image]

Work great for keeping hogs out, or in,

[Linked Image]

depending on whether one is supplemental feeding the deer or intent on trapping hogs.

Best,

GWB

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks GW

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by eyeball

It's nice to still hunt down a trail by the creek in the switch cane after the pin oaks drop acorns. A startled cat squirrel will notice something amiss and jump up on a trunk. Then it's time to try a head shot before it's gone.

Fox squirrels are easy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Catching a cat squirrel sitting still long enough to get a shot with a 22 can be a whole 'nuther ball game.

Polk County, Texas? Our place was north of SH-105 just east of Cut-n-Shoot.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/24/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep! even have some hogs in the neighborhood!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm sure y'all have seen this, but check out the point of impact at 3:40. CNS, DRT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuM8Ks2rRM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats whats gonna happen to couple pigs in FL. when I introduce them to the 223ai�.. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dats whats gonna happen to couple pigs in FL. when I introduce them to the 223ai�.. grin

Either that or run like a little girl like the fellows in this clip! Actually, I think Elk was right: you're way smarter than that, even if Mule Deer accuses you of being an Irishman.

http://www.nzblokes.co.nz/hunter-becomes-hunted-video/

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Run�hell�under those circumstances I can FLY! laugh

And I am Irish�..50% of me anyway�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ain't that the truth! What's the sober half?

I'm going to go out and check feeders this week. We have a little TS brewing just off the coast, so it'll bring a bit of rain and barometric pressure drop. I'll be interested to see how the pigs react. Might even get in a little Winchester action.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mike,
I mentioned it on another thread, but I�ve access to a tract that is about 300 yds. wide and a mile deep (40 acres)that is adjacent to the Brazoria National Wildlife Preserve near Danbury Texas. About 28 miles from my house.

It used to be an old tree farm that was abandoned.

Has an irrigation canal that bisects it.

[Linked Image]

Great area for geese, ducks, snipe, and dove. Probably nutria in the canal.

Tons of small game.

[Linked Image]

I could have shot a dozen cottontails, but just wasn�t in a killing mood.

Did put a few rounds through a 28 Ga. CZ Ringneck I recently acquired.

[Linked Image]

First time I went there was early in the year. One of the first things I noticed was a hog highway.

[Linked Image]

Evidence of coyote, and suspect there will be bobcat also.

[Linked Image]

Got a feeder and a game camera set up about 10 days ago.

[Linked Image]

Probably will go back and check the game cam later this week. Whet my appetite. Will wait at least a month before I take any hogs though. Want them piggies to get it in their noggin's that this is where the groceries are before I start popping them.

I�m calling this my �Honey Hole�. Will be able to get there in 45 minutes. Should help assuage the symptoms of SDD (shooting deficit disorder).

Best,

GWB

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That looks great! And that game trail is definitely a thoroughfare. Post some pictures once the pigs have cleared the brush from under and around the feeder...in about a week!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm working on my lease this weekend. Most concerned about a protein feeder for the deer and fixing blinds, but I'll also put out some feed for pigs, and then hopefully thin the pig herd.

Who knows, I may actually put the 1907 to work, too...

[Linked Image]

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sweet!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sometimes I get stuck on stupid... "apologies to Corbett" ??

Corbett WMA?

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,658
Posts18,493,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.