Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mac84;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that Father's Day was a fine one for you and your family.

I've had two of the Nylon 66's - a detachable magazine model back in the early '80's and now one of the ones with the magazine tube in the butt stock which was made in the '70's if memory serves.

As mentioned by other posters the scope mounting system leaves something to be desired as the barrel floats forward of the nylon receiver and the scope mounting system clamps onto a light stamped metal shield that bolts over that nylon receiver.

What I've found them to be useful for is teaching smaller stature shooters to shoot off hand because of their light weight.

Indeed a semi-auto likely isn't always the first choice for a brand new shooter, but under controlled conditions they've proven to be a lot of fun for a few new shooters over the years.

The two I've had weren't fussy about what .22 ammo I fed them either and honestly I can't recall a single jam or malfunction in the tube feed one and not that many in the detachable magazine one.

Hopefully that was some use to you or someone else out there tonight sir. All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Mac84
Does anyone have one or have experience with one?

One of the best little 22 autos ever made. Just don't take it apart!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
now one of the ones with the magazine tube in the butt stock which was made in the '70's if memory serves.

Mine has the tube in the butt stock and I bought it in the summer of 1966, used, for $25. It has killed a passel of stuff from snakes, frogs, turtles, rabbits, squirrels and a few domestic pigs and beef. I have treated it badly and it has never failed to perform. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Miles have you completely randomed a Nylon 66? Trigger assembly and all? Removal of bbl ain't bad.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Light as a feather, good walking around gun.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Light as a feather, good walking around gun.

Yes, they sure are light. I know a couple of guys that did a lot of trapping in the '70s early 80s and they both carried Nylon 66's. They worked well for trap line work.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my dad bought one in the late 60's for the kids to use.
My older brother has it now,and it still looks and shoots like always.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I have been pretty far into it. Lots of little pins holding springs. Hammer will go in backwards too, and shoot once. No repeat though. miles

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No left hand shooter will enjoy shooting one. It peppers the shooters face with hot powder particles. I kept my Nylon 66 for about a month and said no more. After I ditched it I got a Ruger 10/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RC

These were designed for the light slender 22 scopes of the day, not big 1" tube scopes. Put a 3/4" or 7/8" period scope on it, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I have a Weaver B4 on mine and have for 40 years. It works fine. The optics aren't what we expect these days, but the 66 was from a different time.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by milespatton
Yeah, I have been pretty far into it. Lots of little pins holding springs. Hammer will go in backwards too, and shoot once. No repeat though. miles

Yeah! I was gonna say. You prolly don't make much of a habit of going that far into one! LOL. I never took you for a masochist!! smile

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/15/14.

Founder

WS

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Being a poor waif as a kid, all I could do was dream of one and could finally afford a cheap single shot Win 61A, but I got one my wife found in a garage sale (like new) a year ago for $175 when the good bastid wouldn't come down anymore on a broke gun he said was good and when I got home I found it wouldn't work due to a 22 short hung up in it and found it worked fine after clearing the action and since I figured I was too old to wear it out on squirrels in east texas while I live in west Texas I sold it at the first Midland gun show that came along for $450 and thanked God for my first good gun investment.

Thank you God for chrome 66 nylon Remmies and the dummies who feed them 22 shorts, which is what finally allowed me to own the 22 of my dreams, if only for a little while.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/15/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Had a 77 (clip model). Very accurate - never put a scope on it. Killed probably 200 grouse with it in the 3 years I had it. Had it apart many times-no problem.

Sleeps with the fishes now in the bottom of the Tanana River below Manley Hot Springs Alaska after a kid ran out of gas with my boat just above a log jam.. Lost my Marlin 336, too.

I miss both those rifles!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bought ten of them at one time NIB at a department store closing sale. payed 590.00 for 10,wish i'd had sense enough to set on them 25-30yrs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got three that shoot great. Gave 2 to my sons. Great 4-wheeler rifles..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Remington Mohawk 10C, which is much the same. Many year of perfect service. As others have mentioned, do not try to take the dang thing apart though. I learned the expensive way. smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah! I was gonna say. You prolly don't make much of a habit of going that far into one!

I really can't remember about the trigger but knowing me, I probably did, but not for a long time. I did have about everything else out just a few days ago. I did not take the safety apart this time but I have before, and have a homemade part in there after I lost one. grin miles

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Nylon 66 family of rifles has developed a bit of interest with certain collectors. Of note, the Nylon 76 (lever action) is the only lever gun Remington has ever built.
I bought my first one in 1971 and cannot tell you the thousands or rounds sent down range after turtles, frogs, snakes and whatnot. I've even shot dragonflys (on the wing) with it, to which I can guarantee is the fastest way to burn through a brick of ammo. Mine has been abused but I'll never get rid of it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine has been abused but I'll never get rid of it.

Same here. They used to advertise how tough they were so I did some testing. They were right. When I worked on a minnow farm, mine rode in a topless jeep between the seats, and stay there day and night. Dust, minnow feed, rain and it never jammed unless you got a bad shell. I can't even start to guess now many rounds went through it. We killed frogs by the five gallon bucket full, and was always shooting snakes and turtles along with fish eating birds. I never cleaned it until later when I went to work elsewhere. Bluing was shot so I painted it a flat black. I would like to have a new one just like it. Mine is the Seneca green and I don't think they made as many of those. miles

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great little 22. Clean them when they get gummy and keep the barrel wedge bolt and receiver cover bolts tight. They were originally advertised by some guy shooting 100,000 two inch square wooden blocks in a couple of days using 4 Nylon 66's. Seem to remember he missed 4-6 blocks out of 100,000. The blocks were thrown into the air and I don't think he had a misfire. Must have been a lot better ammo back then. I still have one and wore out another. Have seen some at gun shows going for $300-$450.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 13,615 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,119
Posts18,542,217
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.