Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let me address the coyote thing.

Coyotes have always been a problem at the farm. A neighbor was out on our property in 2002 and lost a full-grown lab. One minute he was there. . .

The coyote population has ebbed and flowed. Twice I've had to come to the rescue of my dogs. Lately they've been getting bolder. One took a run at a neighbor of mine and tried to clip him while he was walking between two sheds near the house. I've increased the DefCon as a result. We now go about armed.

The beagle has been mostly able to take care of herself. She grew up on this farm. We rescued her from a neighbor. She's your quintessential trailer slut, and like The Gambler, she knows when to hold up, knows when to fold up, etc. She's also had the collie to protect her for the past 8 years. She's getting up there too-- 12, give or take.

Coyotes, at least around this part of the world, hunt as a mated pair. They alternate making passes at the prey in order to get them disoriented. My son (16) has had some recent experience with them. He got caught out in the woods after dark and was pursued for a half-mile. He said the net effect was that it felt like he was hemmed in on all sides and didn't know which way to go. They've tried it with me, and I go at them with whatever I have at hand and bluster. The collie seems to wait until one makes a pass at the beagle and then pounces. The ferocity of the attack usually makes them break and run. I've seen the results of his handiwork. For a 15 second encounter the yote ended up with both front legs in bad shape--one useless-- and profuse bleeding at his neck. The collie came back with a small cut on his ear.

I don't mean for y'all to think I want to go hunt coyotes with my house pets, but I do know whatever dog I get will probably have to deal with a yote. I'd prefer they could survive.

Dang that last idea-- German Shorthair. Wow! That brings back fond memories of a dog we used to take pheasant hunting. Duke was a better than a human guide. I'd just never thought of them as a house pet.

Great ideas, all! Keep them coming.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have alot of the same needs in a new dog as you do & my next one will be a pure Texas Blue Lacey.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why ONE dog?

If you will be out on a farm a triplet of 'Danes would fun as all hell, less so for the 'yotes laugh

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Get a Brittany spaniel pup. You'll be hooked for life. Females are more bidible.

I had 2 of them and I can tell you they would not stand a chance with a coyote. Great dogs and I love them to death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Get a Brittany spaniel pup. You'll be hooked for life. Females are more bidible.

I had 2 of them and I can tell you they would not stand a chance with a coyote. Great dogs and I love them to death.

I guess I missed the part about being able to stand up to a coyote. I would think a coyote would high tail it out of Dodge if a dog started barking, notwithstanding my last male (Spud) would have tore a new azzhole in a coyote. He was the Rocky Marciano of Brittany Spaniels.

This was Spud (on the right). Lost him to cancer a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]

Here's a couple of puppies in which you might be interested.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by bea175
Airedale

+1 or a Catahoula.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I guess I missed the part about being able to stand up to a coyote. I would think a coyote would high tail it out of Dodge is a dog started barking.

They tore up a lab pretty badly about 1 mile from my house. I don't know how the dog made it back home but the surgery required to put him back together had to be in the thousands . I am packing when I walk my 2 Parson Russells anymore.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by bea175
Airedale

+1 or a Catahoula.

Airedale if he comes from hunting stock could be one formidable MOFo with a coyote but I would feel more comfortable with 2. grin

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Kurdish Kangal, Anatolian Shepherd or a good American Bulldog would destroy a coyote very quickly. How about a good, well bred Doberman?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black mouth cur, catahoula, Airedale.

Though I prolly would just go to the pound and pick one out that looked good enough.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smart and can handle himself?

Be hard to beat a Heeler.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
american bulldog / thread. More solid tempertment (overall) than my personal favorite pits. will absolutley destroy a coyote, or a couple of coyotes. Only problem may be disciplining your grand children. My buddys American bulldog pinned him in the corner when he started to whoopin' on his son lol.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
big male decker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

Dang that last idea-- German Shorthair. Wow! That brings back fond memories of a dog we used to take pheasant hunting. Duke was a better than a human guide. I'd just never thought of them as a house pet.

Great ideas, all! Keep them coming.

A short hair can be a good house dog, but they are a little light for coyote duty. A typical European versatile breed with some sharpness in them should do well. Most will do well as house dogs, especially in a farm setting.

This guy was about 70 lbs, and put the fear into more than a few coyotes. The breed is expected to take out foxes when the opportunity arises. His cousin is close to 100 lbs, and a pack of coyotes chewed his tail off this winter on a walk in the hills....

[Linked Image]

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
If you are keeping it outside, a Great Pyrenees. Love children, hate coyotes. Hate heat, love cold. All that I have ever had, blood trail deer on a leash with just a little encouragement. miles

^^^This^^^

Smart Dogs, too. And you won't have to worry about your Grandkids or the coyotes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Smart and can handle himself?

Be hard to beat a Heeler.

+1
Heeler's an excellent choice.
Especially if you like med sized dogs like I do.

Those Blue Lacy's are an interesting breed too.

Working or hunting dogs can usually handle themselves around predators and seldom disappoint in the companionship dept.
Just depends on what you want/need.
No point in having anything else unless you just like cleaning up dog chit. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

I lean to the Red Heeler's myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red or Blue, doesn't matter to me, I like em both.
One of the best breeds ever IMO

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/16/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 50/50 Airedale/Afghan Hound cross at the shelter. He is 27 inches at the shoulder, 80 lbs, and fast. A good personality and laid back. He's a great dog.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 06/16/14.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.