Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,I'd put a Leupold 6x 42mm on it and kill deer,elk,bear or whatever else you hunt up there.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tcp
The 2.5-8 Leupold is a great scope, however, in mounting it on a pre '64 Model 70, its tube length means many mounts such as Leupold DD's or any standard Weaver mount will not let you get the scope mounted so that the eye relief is perfect, in my experience.

You can make it work with Leupold DD's or Weaver style bases but you end up having very little "wiggle room" to account for awkward shooting positions or heavy clothing. Talleys let you reverse the front ring and let you take advantage of the scope's generous eye box at all powers.

I have un corrected vision and a pretty average build, but I am sure people with different eyes and body sizes may feel differently.

You may want to take a better look at the mounts and rings (see pic) I have on this old girl. I am using the extended rear so I can push the scope forward because of the ER. Talleys just don't look right to me on these pre 64's..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

However, I think it would be more handy with a slimmer and lighter piece of glass on it. I've got the Leupold DD's ready. What do you guys think???

If only obviously. No need in putting on or carrying around any more than you need. Extra xxxx's always take away from slim and handy. You need 8x for hunting? Straight 3x-Leupold said it is closer to 3.4-, 4x, 1.5-5s are really nice on a FWT or a 6x36 if you don't. Used to think the 2.5-8 was special. Found out for here in Pa I don't need it most of the time. Leupold QR's solve the problem for when I think I may.

Hardly even know they are there. What do you need?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can tell you this, all of those scopes are way too light on the x's for me and my eyesight. 8 is also a little weak as I'm usually running a minimum of a 3-9x40 on my rifles. This is not going to be my long range hammer, so I figured a 2.5-8x36 should be worth looing at. I also considered a 2-7x33....This rifle will also weigh 7 3/4 pounds with the 2.5-8x36, which makes it just about the perfect weight. Pretty light by my standards and I carry a rifle all season vs. stand hunting, which I've never done.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Which comes first; what works, carries and balances best or looks superb?

The way I see it, it's best to have both... wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Battue, For sure every year added age wise seems to bring less and less walk and spot, I used to call it indian hunting and it was by far my favorite way to hunt, I also used to love the creek and river bottoms,now I hate the chore of getting the deer out of the deepwoods. Back in the 70's I loved the super cold and windy days as I would walk and jump shoot em, if the wind was just right you could get to within 15-20 yards before he would jump and run, killed my biggest and oldest buck that way, first thing I would do is turn that 3x9 down to 4x. Boy time and age changes a lot of things.. very best WinPoor

I started out with a 3-9x40 and am used to keeping it set on 3-5 when in the thick stuff and instinctively turn it up to 9 when the need arises.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd go Leupie 6x36 with or without dots.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From seeing your groups do you seriously think they are too light on the x's for your eyes to miss the basketball size vitals of Deer and Elk? And it will not be used for long range. It's your hunt and rifle, but I'm not buying in on the theory.

Of course if you never try you will never know.

Last edited by battue; 06/18/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue, I'm sure just about any scope will work seriously. I do know from personal experience that I don't like the lower powered scopes. I've had the leupld 4x, and 1.5-5 and didn't care for them. I do a lot of target shooting too and like the versatility of the higher powered scopes. I appreciate your input, but I know my likes and dislikes in some scopes. I've never personally tried the 2.5-8x36, but it gets rave reviews so I figured it would be a good compromise. You mention the target pic, that was shot with the scope on 14x. I also don't have a problem shooting that same power offhand at 100 yards. No problemo...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love that scope, you can fix the eye relief problem by using extension rings on a model 70. I recently had a very souring experience with Luepold customer. So I will not be investing any more of my money with them for the foreseeable future. To be clear I think leupold makes a good product, as long as it works. If it doesn't their current philosophy is deny there is a problem until you send it back for the forth or fifth time. Maybe in the furture that will change, but when I can buy other scope of arguably the same of better light transmission and clarity for less. I'm going to give those ones a try, I am currently trying Vortex and Nikon. Conversely I can spend a bit more and get into a Swarovski for about 650-750 and I know they will stand behind their product, plus they have better glass. Any way I'll get off my soap box now, sorry for the rant. Still a great scope and I'd mount that thing no problem. In my opinion it a the best compromise between power, weight and small profile.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

BW, is that what you are going to put on your new 308 fwt. Nice rifle by the way!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
I love that scope, you can fix the eye relief problem by using extension rings on a model 70. I recently had a very souring experience with Luepold customer. So I will not be investing any more of my money with them for the foreseeable future. To be clear I think leupold makes a good product, as long as it works. If it doesn't their current philosophy is deny there is a problem until you send it back for the forth or fifth time. Maybe in the furture that will change, but when I can buy other scope of arguably the same of better light transmission and clarity for less. I'm going to give those ones a try, I am currently trying Vortex and Nikon. Conversely I can spend a bit more and get into a Swarovski for about 650-750 and I know they will stand behind their product, plus they have better glass. Any way I'll get off my soap box now, sorry for the rant. Still a great scope and I'd mount that thing no problem. In my opinion it a the best compromise between power, weight and small profile.

Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated. I've ran into problems with Leupold scopes myself. The last one to take a chit was a VX 3 3.5-10x40 with CDS. I figured I'd give them one last try, since they are a local company. ...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Vortex is local, unless you live in the Oregon, then you are very local smile If your ever looking for good scopes cheap. Try www.samplelist.com it is through SWFA.com, but they are used or demo products. Sold at a discount, good deals to be had.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Like I said it's your hunt and rifle. Although you asked regarding the 2.5-8 specifically I threw some other options onto the table that were slimmer and lighter.

16x offhand would have me bobbing and weaving like a great fighter.

Have fun.

Last edited by battue; 06/18/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That 2.5-8 will shoot very long if you need it to.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I found out long ago, the Zeiss Diavari 3-9 is superior to the 2.5-8 Leupold in both size and clarity. They are worth looking for and they make a Model 70 look good...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks shrappy. I knew you liked the old Zeiss and I've been keeping an eye on ebay and gunshows for just the right one. I also kicked around the idea of buying the old redfield 2-7 you had for sale a while back. I like the suggestion of the Diavari as it's definitely a power range I can live with and a nice piece of glass to boot. Does anyone know how many oz's these are?? Those are good looking rifles too, by the way..

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, sometime last month I bought and old post 64 with the red W grip cap in .225 win, it had the very first fixed 8x AO I had ever seen or shot, eye box is great, just perfect for my eyes. I cannot see the scope being to much nor overpowered.I started looking around for another for my fwt.I have only found one but my ad did yield a couple 10X that I like as well on varmint guns. very best winpoor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My M70 7x57 will be shipped out this Monday per Cabelas and I'll have the Leupold 2.5-8X with DD rings and 2 piece DD mounts by tomorrow. When the rifle arrives I'll take some pics for all to drool over...especially ingwe.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

BW, is that what you are going to put on your new 308 fwt. Nice rifle by the way!!

Yes that is where I will start or a Weaver 6x38. I just gravitated there due to the simplicity and fewer internal parts.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/19/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the feedback guys.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.