Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Hi guys...Yesterday I purchased my first pre-64 M70, $950.00 OTD. It's a standard weight .270, all factory original. I'm planning on installing a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 on it with Leupold Dual Dovetail base & rings.
Any of you guys know what ring height I need to order? I believe this rifle has the "low comb" stock with folding Lyman rear sight.

Serial number 1256xx. Any added info on this serial number is welcomed.
Thanks!

Last edited by Fenton; 06/15/14.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First off, congrats on your purchase. The pre 64's are great rifles. I commend you on your choice in rings and bases, it's hard to beat the ruggedness and looks of the Leupold dual dovetail set-up. My suggestion is to run the lows, as these work very well for my rifles and 3-9x40 scopes. However, it is also dependent on where you position the Leupold on the rifle. I've had problems with leupolds in the past because of their long eye relief. For me, they usually require an extended rear base. Maybe someone here can chime in with a picture or 2 of their pre 64's with your exact set-up. Your rifle's serial # indicates it was made in '49 (maybe a late transition).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fenton, just to give you an idea of how the lows look on the pre 64's with 3-9x40 scopes. Keep in mind these are Burris FFII 3-9x40's and not Leupolds:

338 Alaskan with Leupold DD's lows:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

270 fwt with DD lows and Burris FFII 3-9x40:
[Linked Image]

Same same with XTR 270 fwt:

[Linked Image]
To be honest, this has been the winning combination for me. The scopes have been bullet proof and forgiving when mounting and we know how the DD's are for strength. Accuracy has been excellent with no shift in POI.

If you want to mount a scope with a bigger ocular and objective, I'd suggest the mediums. 270 fwt with Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 and medium DD's:
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those rings and mounts sure look good. Sort of reminds me on Conetrol rings/mounts. I may have to get a pair of those myself!

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kitch, the nice thing about these are their simplicity, ruggedness and of course good looks. I like keeping things simple too grin

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like keeping things simple too

Here, here! My problem with Leupold's rings and mounts is I don't ever know if I've gone far enough or too far with turning the Dovetail rings.

Last edited by Kitch; 06/15/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just square them up and then check with an alignment tool.

BSA MAGA
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
bsa

Thank you for the info and pictures. I got the scope and bases w/ low rings on the way from Optics Planet.

Can you tell me any of the specs on my 1949 rifle, serial number 1256xx?

Thanks again...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What specs do you seek?

I have a '49 in .300 Magnum with the same scope but on a Redfield 1pc base situation. I'm not wild about it but the base was on it when I acquired it so left it.
The rings are low as indicated. S/N on mine is 123453.

I have often wondered who has 123456. That would be one neat S/N.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
BKinSD,
Maybe "specs" was the wrong word. I was wondering where my gun fit in? Would it be considered a "Transition" gun? Front sight is part of the barrel, not sweated on. Solid bolt ball (no hole). Underside of the barrel is stamped "270 49". Fold down rear sight. Three position safety lever pushes forward to Fire.

Was 1949 considered a good year for the standard weight M70 .270 from a quality/accuracy standpoint?

Still learnin'...thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fenton, you wanted some specs. Your rifle was made in the later part of 1949 (probably October). It is considered the first of the type III rifles. This was the last major change in the pre 64 action "types". It has the tapered tang (not the clover leaf), 3 position safety, drilled holes in both front and rear bridges of the receiver. Originally it came with a low comb stock, your rear sight should be a 22G with a 3C elevator instead of the "fold down" style. An original rifle would also have the steel butt plate. Your rifle (if original) should have the integral front ramp and is most likely the #2 version. Your stock should be American black walnut that was finished with a lightly sprayed on stain and waxless lacquer. It should also have the large panels that have the 18 LPI checkering. 1949 is a great year to have according to a lot of Model 70 collectors because it was made before 1952. They started trying to cut some corners in the post 52 produced rifles. They were very subtle changes, but to the collectors they were signs of things to come...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fenton, just to give you an idea of how the lows look on the pre 64's with 3-9x40 scopes. Keep in mind these are Burris FFII 3-9x40's and not Leupolds:

[Linked Image][/URL]

What McM stock is that and do you love it?

Last edited by Paradiddle; 06/19/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Love is an awful strong word, lets just say I really like it laugh. It is a Mcmillan hunters compact.

BSA MAGA
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
bsa

Thank you for your detailed reply, that is exactly the type of information I was hoping to find. According to your info, it appears my rifle is all original except for the rear sight. I'll have to see if I can locate/buy a 22G w/ 3C elevator just to bring the rifle back to "period correct". It's gonna get a scope as my older eyes aren't sharp enough for hunting with open sights any longer, but if the only thing keeping this rifle from being original or at least period correct is that sight, I'd like to make that change.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide such detailed info, much appreciated.
Fenton

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem fenton. The 2 most likely reasons guys replace the longer 22G with the Lyman 16B:

1. Sold it to make money ($120.00+) vs. $25.00 for flip up Lyman 16B.

2. Allows the use of a longer scope.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 50 invisible), 9,811 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,364
Posts18,546,951
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.