Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
BT, my place is where the counties of Stephens, Grady and Garvin meet. We have 1300 acres there. Hogs have pretty much gone nocturnal now but occasionally we'll catch one at daybreak or dusk.
BT, my place is where the counties of Stephens, Grady and Garvin meet. We have 1300 acres there. Hogs have pretty much gone nocturnal now but occasionally we'll catch one at daybreak or dusk.
cox city area?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by rost495
Geez, never knew we had so many pansy azzes around.

I've killed more than a few hogs, maybe not as many as you have very possibly there brick, but couple hundred for sure.

Been the very rare one we didn't clean. They eat very well too if not big and not stinky when you walk up to them.

Guess some of its what you grew up with too probably. I know city folks that don't like to clean a deer too.

Odors.... well if you want the bad ones, get to go on a call where they haven't seen the neighbor in 2 days... and guess who gets to gear up and shovel em into a body bag.... or try skinning a cat or yote thats been hit a bit far back and they decided to drive around and show folks first before bringing it by the taxidermy shop so you can then skin it and perform miracles.

I will give ya this though, puke gets me. You puke, I"ll puke. And on CPR runs, the reciever usually will eventually puke so we can suction it up and keep going. I've been known to toss the cookies over my shoulder while doing compressions and keep going.

So I can dang sure understand how a simplistic smell can bother some folks but not others.

Never seen anything pass up eating a hog.

Javelina OTOH... are totally different at times. Though Cara Cara will generally work on them if anything. And have seen mountain lions pack one off a few times, by the tracks and trail
You're misunderstanding my posts. I have a strong stomach. Puke doesn't bother me nor does handling funky, dead, decaying critters. Handling funky, dead critters and then eating them does.

Ah, got it. WOn't clean em cause you won't eat em due to diet.

Makes sense now.

I don't agree, but that doesn't matter one bit.

Keyboards and minds... how can we get on 2 different skews so often...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ah, got it. WOn't clean em cause you won't eat em due to diet.
No, won't clean them because their stench ruins pork for me. I like pork. I don't have a problem with cleaning a hog. I don't like having to clean hogs AND eat them. If I was Jewish or Muslim, I'd clean them and give them away. If I was a high enough roller, I'd hire a gun bearer and various other lackeys to do the dirty work. Since it's just me, I'll shoot and photograph.

I don't agree, but that doesn't matter one bit.
Yeah, well, whatever. Talk is cheap. No one ever seems to have the time or manage to show up after they've shot their mouths off about "wasting" feral hogs.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
... I will give ya this though, puke gets me. You puke, I"ll puke. And on CPR runs, the reciever usually will eventually puke so we can suction it up and keep going. I've been known to toss the cookies over my shoulder while doing compressions and keep going. ...

LMAO ! Spent 15 years bouncing around in the back of a buggy. Never tossed my cookies while on a run... Came close several times... SEVERAL partners who had to break off and fill a towel while I continued patient care...

Worst thing for me in the wild game department is a rumen shot deer. I've had to back up and clear my throat a couple times. As much as I have a hankerin to try some wild pork, if they smell worse than a gut shot deer, I just might have to pass as well... I ain't seen one around here in the day light yet. But, they have started showing up on a few game cameras. And they did a number in the church cemetery last fall that looked a whole lot like the picture that Brick posted up above.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've been in the cleaning business for almost 30 years and have cleaned up some incredibly nasty scenes. A few murders, lots of suicides, dead bodies, sewer back ups, skunks, rats that died in some unreal places, human feces, urine and vomit etc. The WORST ever was a massive sewer back up in a frat house.

I will not go into details but suffice to say THAT took the top prize. PM me if you really want to know.........grin.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Ha! The "story". I love it............

The best part of the hunt!
Here's the story:

I hunt a valley in the Kiamichi Mountains of southeast Oklahoma. This area is mostly small family farms with various hardwoods and odd areas cleared for hay and cattle. A small creek runs south through our property and on across several other properties before emptying into a larger creek. Feral hogs stay along the creek and venture out into the hay meadows and pastures as well as wallow at the various ponds on the farms. (We have five ponds, two of which are well-shaded and close to the creek.) The hogs have been hitting the largest hay meadow on the south edge of our property with increasing intensity for a few years now and this is where I've shot most of the hogs over the past year.

I left the house at 5:45 A.M. on Saturday and headed east to our "back" pond, which put me on the north edge of that hay meadow. (This was where I shot a sow in 2012 and shot the group of hogs in March.) The wind was light and out of the south and the air was hazy from the previous evening's rain shower. I settled into a dry creek bed between the pond and hay meadow that gave me a little cover and a good view of the meadow as well as the neighbor's pasture south of that. I glassed the area over with my binoculars for about 30 minutes and decided I'd head south and check areas on two neighbors' properties where I'd seen recent hog activity.

I hopped the fence and moved across the first hay meadow (which was thoroughly demolished by hogs earlier this year)

[Linked Image]

and then across a dry creek bed and into the next pasture. This pasture has also been hit pretty hard by hogs in the past few months and it's also on the verge of being overgrown with persimmon trees. (The neighbor told me he brush hogs them every three years and they're due for another brush hogging now.) These persimmon trees range anywhere from waist to chest high, with a few standing a shade over 6 feet. And they cover what amounts to the center two-thirds of the pasture.

At any rate, i picked my way through the persimmon "jungle" and could hear cows bawling nearby to my south. I stepped out of the persimmons and amid the haze I saw....cows? HOGS! About a dozen larger-than-average hogs 50 yards to my southwest feeding on the persimmon trees. I dropped down to one knee and shot the dominant black sow. I hit her a little far back and she broke into a run and started heading east towards the brush and up the mountain. A light-colored boar ran with her. I racked another round in the chamber and shot at him but missed. The remainder of the sounder ran in the opposite direction towards the creek and the cover there.

I started to look for the sow and then saw the remaining hogs regrouping in the blackjacks about 100 yards north of me. I turned to get in a better shooting position and shot the new lead sow. She went down in a heap and began squealing while the remainder broke and ran north and west back towards the creek. My second shot caught another sow running. (The .223 made a fairly substantial exit wound on her neck.) I stopped to reload and then snapped the photos I posted previously -- 6:27 A.M. and 6:28 A.M. I'd left the house less than 45 minutes earlier.

I started to search for the first sow and then caught sight of the light-colored boar back up in the woods about 100 yards southeast of where I'd last seen him. I only saw him for about half-a-second as he was running through the trees and couldn't get a shot. I decided to continue south towards other areas where I'd seen hog activity and hope the boar might come out there.

I reached the south edge of this property and was in the process of crossing a fence to the next neighbor's property when I saw a group of hogs about 70 yards to my south trotting to the east up the mountain. These were much smaller than the first bunch I'd encountered (the adults were about half the size of the first group) and much darker in color. I could tell by their movement that they had likely heard me and was only in a position to shoot one, so I went ahead and shot. I saw this animal go down and I went ahead and started crossing the fence. As I was on the fence -- quite literally -- the damned hog managed to get back on its feet and started hobbling and grunting to catch up with the others. I was in a tough spot: I had a barb from the top strand poking at my "manhood." I could either let go of the strand and hope for the best and try and finish the hog from where I was standing or protect myself and hope that the hog either ran out of gas or offered me another chance to shoot. I opted for the latter. I managed to cross the fence, but didn't see the hog where I expected to see it. Rather than search for anything, I decided to go back to the house for more ammunition. (I usually carry a full magazine of six rounds plus two MTM wallets of nine rounds each. I managed to make it out of the house with only one of the wallets.)

I checked the progress of the buzzards throughout that day as well as into the next morning before I went home and noticed they were working on something back in the brush in the vicinity of where I'd shot the two "lost" hogs. I generally cut the buzzards a wide berth while they're working, because they're apt to crap or puke on you if you're harassing them.

The rest of the weekend was uneventful, but I'll be back in about two weeks to keep up the pressure.

Sounds like quite a hunt. I bet you take a few more rounds next time! Thanks for the read.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Shootin, Bricktop!
We are litteraly overrun with hogs here in N.Tx in Stonewall County at the Ranch. Best day I've had at pig shooting is 7 pigs out of one large group of 35 with my .300 Whisper AR-15. Of course I've never been accused of not bringing enough ammo along. Usually have a 20rd mag in my gun and another 20 rounder in my back pocket.
Ever once in a while, when shooting a big group of them, they get confused and run at you instead of running away. And I once killed two sows with the same arrow that were standing side by side under the feeder.

I don't mind field dressing them in cooler weather, but it does get a little smelly for me when it's hot weather. But ours eat mostly corn from our feeders which we run year round here at the Ranch.

I've probably field dressed at least a 100 conservatively, in the last 15 years. We field dress any sow under 250 lbs and of course any shoat, which we usually BBQ whole on the spit.

On the really big boars, I drag them off with the 4-wheeler to the edge of one of our cotton fields, so we can shoot coyotes off of them at night.
They don't last more than a couple of days, though as the other hogs will eat the hide, entrails, bones and all. Hell, they will even eat the blood soaked dirt !
Looks like you ran a Hoover vacuum over the kill sight when the other hogs clean em up.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You or anybody you know ever trap some of these hogs and finish them on clean feed and water for 30-60 days.?

Just wondering if that would make them fit to eat.?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got some friends that do that & claim they are better eating that way.

We eat the ones we kill, mostly make sausage out of them. They make pretty good pork chops, too.
But like I said, ours are mostly corn fed from our feeders. That and all the wheat fields on the neighboring ranches that surround us. Only ones we don't eat are the really big boars.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/17/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
cox city area?

Wow! good call. I actually began school at Cox City. Small country school, my teacher taught grades 1-3 in one room. Our place is just down the creek (Rush Creek) from Cox City.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
You or anybody you know ever trap some of these hogs and finish them on clean feed and water for 30-60 days.?

We do it quite often. Got my trap out now. Generally leave it wired open during the week and trap on weekends. Let em get used to it. Son Traps them all the time. He's the ones who is really trapping on my place now. I don't want anything else that eats!!

But I have no issues eating the wild ones. Ate some this past weekend. Shoot small ones. Easier to handle and to me they don't smell bad. You know up to 40-50 pounders.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/18/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Something else that's kinda funny I'll share. My oldest son's FIL generally has "pet" pigs always around his feed barn. They are wild and do not really mind folks, to a point. They stay out in the woods close to his corn crib. When he goes to feed the cows he'll dump some corn out for the pigs. They come out and eat. When they need a pig, he takes his 22 out and shoots one! Pretty simple!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

It's not as much their diet as their nature: ALL hogs have a certain "funk" to them, even farm-raised domestic hogs. The last time I cleaned any hogs (about a year ago), I noticed that even the commercial pork from the grocery store had that same faint putrid odor. And for the armchair internet self-appointed "experts," it doesn't make a damned bit of difference of their size, age or sex. They stink. And they're a lot of work to prepare. More than a deer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They stink to your nose. Thats all we know for sure.

And no they are not more work than a deer. At least for folks that have done a few in their day.

Its opinions, we all have azzholes too. Me included.

But everything has an odor. Whats offensive to one is not to another.

FWIW the wild ones for some of us are totally "fit" to eat.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And no they are not more work than a deer. At least for folks that have done a few in their day.
As soon as you've "done a few," let me know. I don't have time for any of your amateur hour boollshe-it. Or really any of your normal paper as$h0le ramblings.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some of the biggest deer in the south come from that county. Think the hogs have hurt them at all?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Some of the biggest deer in the south come from that county. Think the hogs have hurt them at all?
Don't know. I've been wondering that, too. We had a good group of fawns last year and we seem to have another good group this year. I was also surprised to see a group of turkeys just before 7:00 in the A.M. this past Sunday. (They've been scarce in that area for awhile.)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
As soon as you've "done a few," let me know. I don't have time for any of your amateur hour boollshe-it. Or really any of your normal paper as$h0le ramblings.

You ain't nothing but a big pansy ass puzzy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You ain't nothing but a big pansy ass puzzy.
Yawn. Talk is cheap. Come back when you get some experience, Junior.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Give me a holler when you stop buying your meat at the grocery store.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.