Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by srwshooter
2 differents that i see is . you don't have to practice shooting much with the xbow and i don't have to remove the shooting rails from my ladder stands anymore. xbow is a PITA to carry around the woods compared to a small compound.

With modern compounds being so forgiving, one doesn't have to practice all that much to be pretty deadly.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
2 differents that i see is . you don't have to practice shooting much with the xbow and i don't have to remove the shooting rails from my ladder stands anymore. xbow is a PITA to carry around the woods compared to a small compound.

With modern compounds being so forgiving, one doesn't have to practice all that much to be pretty deadly.

That's a lot of the problem, with that mind set....

Guys not practicing enough to make it 2nd nature when drawing down on an animal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The reason some people are against xbows during bow season is because vertical bow users hate the thought of others hunting during "their" season.

It passed here in NC a couple of years ago and even though many claimed it would happen.....the herd hasn't been decimated and thousands of people didn't hit the woods shooting at 100yds injuring every deer they see.

Its legal and as long as you pay for your license and don't break any game laws I could care less what anyone uses. Hunting already has enough black eyes from the liberals that hunters shouldn't give them anymore ammo to use by fighting amongst themselves and posting negative "stories" or terrible pics......jmo

Last edited by remington; 06/23/14.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by aalf
Comparing them to a compound is still not a valid comparison. Drawing a bow vs bringing a crossbow to the the shoulder ain't the same.

I don't have a problem allowing them in archery seasons with a medical or age requirement, just not a wholesale free for all.

Thinking that you just love the allowed use of center fire rifles during "Primitive Arms season"?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I agree. With my recurve and instinctive it took daily practice, when I had time for that it was really enjoyable.

With a compound, unless you are having to maintain muscle to draw, it really isn't any different than a rifle and I rarely shot my compound more than a handful of shots the week before season to verify zero. I don't shoot past 15 steps generally.. maybe 16 or 17 max. I wouldn't even if I shot every day due to deer moving before the arrow arrives and my ethics.

Some folks need lots of practice. Some have shot so much in their lives they understand the process and can do as well not touching a gun or bow in months, as most can do shooting weekly or daily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stroke took my left arm away for rifle shooting. I can, however, shoot off a table which gets me out in the woods but portability is a big issue but I have worked around that by setting up designated hunting spots.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I bought a crossbow and now hope to use those spots during the warmer archery season as I honestly can't take the cold anymore.

I will limit my shots to 35 yards if the opportunity is presented.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You really can't form a valid opinion until you've hunted quite a bit with both IMO. I have and was sort of surprised at how they are the same for me. Actually, I think they both have pros over each other, so it's a wash.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me start by saying that I do archery hunt, but I do not consider myself an archery enthusiast. I like rifles, they are my preferred tool, but that long September OTC archery season sure is convenient. And I'm generally going to be talking about elk hunting here.

In states like Colorado, I do not want to see crossbows in archery season. Primitive arms seasons are supposed to be recreational seasons. Rifles are for recreation too, but that's where the bulk of the desired harvest comes from. Archery has increased in popularity in many parts of Colorado to the point where it has a detrimental effect on both the ability to achieve a desired harvest by the rifle hunters at a much higher success rate and created far more pressure on the game and other hunters looking for a recreational hunt. In many units, the OTC archery license is now almost as popular as 2nd season OTC rifle.

With that in mind, I have a few problems with allowing crossbows during archery season, and I'm not even talking about scoped crossbows. Crossbows have a significant advantage in western hunting situations where stalking and impromptu set ups are more important than eastern style stand hunts. One must get in range of game AND then draw a bow while within range of game. This is one of the major difficulties in archery hunting and crossbows can negate it by being drawn ahead of time or shot from the prone position. It's hard enough maintaining the primitive spirit of these primitive hunts (archery AND muzzleloader) and I personally do not want to see crossbows allowed during archery season.

Additionally, I think you will likely see more of the Wyoming affect in that people who were otherwise rifle hunters, and did not want to take up the skills that archery requires, further try to take advantage of a 5 week season in September.

One other point I wanted to make: I do not like seeing those with shoulder issues being issued crossbow permits for archery season. I think that accommodation is abused for starters, but I also think that MANY (but not all) of those who ask for the accommodation permit could stay with rifles. They just want in on the longer September season, and I don't blame them.

If crossbow enthusiasts want to insist on hunting in September in Colorado, I think there are two potential compromises that I could be ok with.

1: shorten archery season and give crossbow hunters their own season, but do not increase the total number of days being hunted in September or even early October. I want to maintain the two week break between archery and rifle season. This compromise of course will never happen. By the same token, muzzleloaders should be given their own season too if this were to happen.

2: limit archery season and allow crossbow hunters to participate (still no scopes!). This is supposed to be a quality, low pressure recreational hunt, not a management tool like the rifle seasons. Limiting archery season similar to the way muzzleloader hunting is limited would increase the quality of the hunt(more bugling, less pressure) and reduce the number of displaced animals onto private lands or refuge type areas, allowing the rifle hunters more success in later seasons as well. Of course, this won't happen either, but you asked for opinions.

Oh yeah and the increased wounding loss by archers disgusts me. I've talked to several people who have shot and lost upwards of 3 elk or deer before finally "tagging" a third or fourth. Also know of several rifle hunters that have found broadheads in the elk that they shoot. I'm not ok with this.

Last edited by exbiologist; 06/23/14. Reason: added "not", as in do NOT want to see crossbows in archery season

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
>>increased wounding loss by archers<<

Could you provide some data on this?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, only anecdotal

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lost does not mean dead, anyone that has been around arrows a while understands that.

Wounding wise the rates have to be higher by gun due to higher numbers of gun hunters here anyway.

The scope thing is nuts. Folks use em as a crutch but they don't extend range like folks think they do. You just learn how to use irons again. An early bow of mine was sighted to 90 yards and could generally hit or scare an orange size target at that range. No scope of course. No I didn't not shoot at game at 90.

Some assumptions taken in your post IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Exbiologist nailed most of my opinions on the subject.

However, my experiences with archery in general come exclusively from Pa. Most, but not all, here in Pa. hunt with a bow not for the challenge but because it is an easier time frame to hunt. The Bucks haven't been hassled all that much, their testosterone is peaking and the weather is nice. Take those elements away and archery sales would go in the tank.

Used to be you had to have a medical reason to use a crossbow. One could usually get around it by BSing a physician or by having a physician friend, but most didn't. So why did it change?

Follow the money to find your answer. The bow companies lobbied the politicians hard and the politicians backed the game commission into a corner to make the change.

Lugging a crossbow thru the woods? Once again I can only speak for Pa but haven't seen a bow hunter still hunting in Pa for quite some time. When I do see them on their feet they are heading to a climber or permanent blind. Get up in a tree and I see little difference between a crossbow and a rifle with the exception of range limitation, if one practices and becomes proficient.

Have friends who use a crossbow and they all are wearing scopes. Wonder why, but you can dismiss because it makes the shot harder.

Finally Pa has around 800,000 hunters the majority of which hunt Deer with a rifle. The archers and crossbow people have a season which last year started on October 5th and ended November 16th. The rifle people get 2 weeks and by that time more than a few Bucks are gone due to the number of archers who also get to hunt with a rifle if they are not successful.

We have locations where rifles shouldn't be used due to population density and I see no problem in letting the archers and crossbow people hunt there.

You want the older crew who have a hard time taking the cold during rifle season to have fun? Why not let them hunt with a rifle for two weeks in October. The total number of hunters over 70 out in the wood is a pittance. There doing so wouldn't change the Deer dynamics one bit. Nope they get nothing and the young and quick get a 6 week prime time archery season. Reason being there just isn't any money to be made off of it.

Archers want a challenge? Then agree to making a choice. Bow, crossbow or rifle, but not all three. I'm thinking archery sales would take a hit.

Last edited by battue; 06/23/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's all the reason I need to support the use of crossbows in archery season.

My wife's first crossbow kill, 2 full archery seasons in the making. First ever shot at a live animal.

Horton Vision 175 Reverse limb x-bow, 2" rage broadhead.

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats to the wife, but making each of us feel good isn't game management. Somebody out there most surely would like to take one with a grenade.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by battue
Congrats to the wife, but making each of us feel good isn't game management. Somebody out there most surely would like to take one with a grenade.

Well a grenade would be waste of game, but if the deer can stand the harvest why is it any of anyones business what one person likes to use?

And I used to be an elitist bow snob that hated crossbows... and then realized I was only a joke, it mattered only to the numbers needed to be taken and what some folks deemed as enjoying vs others.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which is why I made the point to qualify my thoughts with regard to Pa.

The Pa GC has made a war on Does and it has been successful. They will tell you it was to bring the herd in balance with the habitat and no doubt we had too many at one time. Some will tell you the insurance companies put pressure on the politicians in that at one time 30-40,000 cars were running into them yearly. Don't know if there is any truth to it.

Anyway, if you have to hunt public land, which we have more than a little, then for the most part you will not see a lot of Deer. Although the numbers are swinging upward, and we are killing more big Bucks than ever before. A point that some will argue, but I know what I've seen.

Why is the herd slowly increasing? Reason is most have quit hunting seriously because they don't see Deer. Had a Game Warden tell me that the Commission presently estimates the average hunter will get one Buck every 5years. Those who are good at the game and spend the time will still do well.

Here there is more going on than will the herd stand the harvest. And that is a number determined by how big a herd does the GC and politicians want. Not necessarily what the land will carry.

Kids are falling by the wayside in big numbers. They don't see enough to keep up interest and Dad isn't all that enthusiastic about going himself.

Texas and Pa are Venus and Mars when it comes to the dynamics of the Deer hunt.

Not knocking the archery hunter as far as Pa goes. However, it isn't for the challenge that most throw arrows here. Facts are it is nicer weather, they get to hunt the rut and there is less competition. Combined with the fact if they are not successful they can still pick up the rifle. My point is make them choose. Throw arrows or bullets. I don't care what they use to launch the arrows.

Last edited by battue; 06/23/14.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Guys not practicing enough to make it 2nd nature when drawing down on an animal.

Well am I wrong?

Honestly, it just doesn't take as much practice with these modern bows to be pretty danged deadly at reasonable distances. Not saying that one shouldn't practice, but a guy sure doesn't have to shoot every day like a longbow shooter really ought to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Had a post RE the 70 year olds, let em do whatever they want with whatever in whatever season as far as I'm concerned. Could be an any deer tag too. Just like youth. Let em shoot if they want to.

But I got a fire page and had to put out a truck trailer that was on fire all by myself, and I'm so worn out, humidity is bad here... I have no clue where that post went, figureed I'd send it when I got back home...

I don't have an issue with choosing one weapon or another either in many ways. Just depends on the dynamics of the herd like you say.

Here its you get to shoot 1-5 deer or more, just depends. Season can go from Sept to almost March IIRC. And whatever the harvest goal is, we don't much care what you do it with, as long as it gets done. I could happily choose bow only if I was still capable of drawing one with my shoulder. And harvest all my deer that way. I used to do it that way. All season long bow only.

Unfortunately I don't have that much free time any more.

Bottom line, if its needing to be thinned, why do we worry so much about who uses what?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Well am I wrong?

Honestly, it just doesn't take as much practice with these modern bows to be pretty danged deadly at reasonable distances. Not saying that one shouldn't practice, but a guy sure doesn't have to shoot every day like a longbow shooter really ought to.

And once you've hunted some, it doesn't take much to know when to do things. Aalf is a rifle shooter, competitively, he shoudl know, shooting of any kind is almost all a mental game. Once you figure that out it transfers to almost any shooting sport.

Compounds are gravy easy. Have been since I was a kid. Front sight, rear sight, release. Get it tuned and sight it in and learn the form required. The shot is nothing really.

Knowing when to draw is key. And as I learned with a crossbow, so is raising the heavy crossbow to a shooitng position.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well am I wrong?

No you're not...I was agreeing with you.

I was referring to the mental aspect being as big a part of making the shot as well. A well practiced hunter minimizes that, as they go into a zone, where you don't think about anything but hitting the spot. CB shooting takes that mental part away too.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.