Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slg888
I lived in S Florida working at HOA community's for many yrs dealing w/ those bagel eatin' nosy c*cksuckers. Take the flag & move outta the HOA would be my suggestion.

And sell the house to negroid self medicators. That make a living off of selling their craft. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Make section 8 housing out of it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All "construction trash" - carpenters, electricians, painters etc. must be gone at 5pm. Just sayin'....

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
All "construction trash" - carpenters, electricians, painters etc. must be gone at 5pm. Just sayin'....
Back in my roofing days, we were on a job in Sun Valley, ID, home of rich nut cases. It was in a high dollar neighborhood and a number of new houses were under construction. The residents, who already had finished houses, were trying to prevent construction before 10am and after 3pm so their chi wouldn't be disturbed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've found the best way to have a neighborly environment is to not have any.

This.

I have a hard time with folks that move into a place with rules and then don't want to follow them though. Like folks buying a house next to the tracks and then call City Hall to complain about the noise... I mean you didn't see the when you tripped over them on the tour of the house... DUH.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
And that power is given to them by the people under them. When you sign on to an HOA, you give them the power to control you.

this is very true. even worse than that is when their "power" goes too far.

an example:

i had a one acre lot in a nice subdivision. i submitted my plans to the design review committee, which caused an uproar.

covenants called for; 35 foot setback, 1700 square foot minimum on main floor, no t-one eleven siding, no t-lock shingles.

my setback as set forth in my plan was 90 feet, 2400 square feet on the main floor, brick and color-lok for siding, and 50 year class 4 rated shingles--it met, and exceeded--all of the requirements, yet they didn't want to "give me the green light."

i took it to an attorney. the attorney said, "submit your plans to the committee. they have two weeks to review them. if they are negative, go ahead and build. if they want to go to court--let them--they will automatically lose, as you meet--and exceed--all of the covenant requirements. in this situation they are wrongly acting as "taste police", and not as the intended "design review committee." if you want to really spice the pot, the covenants mention only "earth colors" are permitted. want to make the place sky blue colored? the mining museum has rocks in it that are earth colored, bright blue in fact. too bad for them--it isn't what they meant, but it's what they said..."

wife and i were so put off by the nonsense that we sold the lot--and good riddance. (what was their real the issue? they wanted a "cut-up roofline" with curb appeal, while i wanted a continuous running length in the hip roofline. there was nothing whatsoever in the covenants about prohibiting a specific roofline, or pitch).

HOA can have some benefits, but they often become a fairly heavy load for the folks trying to live there, especially when "power hungry" pilgrims serve on their boards.

i'll take a pass....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
HOA's have been given WAY too much power. mad

If every family there that has a veteran in their family, or has served in the armed services would lay down some serious press about this, as well as stop sending in their HOA dues, I suspect they would revise the rules there, or grant him a variance.

He signed on. Didn't he read the rules? I wouldn't ever live in an HOA. I am all for him flying the flag but he's stuck with it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They're not stopping him from flying it. They just say it has to be on a pole. His display is good looking and very unobtrusive. The difference is ludicrous, true, but that's their rule.

This is just a battle of wills. Originally, the rules said his display is ok but they changed it. He had agreed to abide by whatever their rules say. They're playing hardball by changing the rules, he's playing hardball by ignoring it. Both sides are wrong about how it's being handled.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
And that power is given to them by the people under them. When you sign on to an HOA, you give them the power to control you.

this is very true. even worse than that is when their "power" goes too far.

an example:

i had a one acre lot in a nice subdivision. i submitted my plans to the design review committee, which caused an uproar.

covenants called for; 35 foot setback, 1700 square foot minimum on main floor, no t-one eleven siding, no t-lock shingles.

my setback as set forth in my plan was 90 feet, 2400 square feet on the main floor, brick and color-lok for siding, and 50 year class 4 rated shingles--it met, and exceeded--all of the requirements, yet they didn't want to "give me the green light."

i took it to an attorney. the attorney said, "submit your plans to the committee. they have two weeks to review them. if they are negative, go ahead and build. if they want to go to court--let them--they will automatically lose, as you meet--and exceed--all of the covenant requirements. in this situation they are wrongly acting as "taste police", and not as the intended "design review committee." if you want to really spice the pot, the covenants mention only "earth colors" are permitted. want to make the place sky blue colored? the mining museum has rocks in it that are earth colored, bright blue in fact. too bad for them--it isn't what they meant, but it's what they said..."

wife and i were so put off by the nonsense that we sold the lot--and good riddance. (what was their real the issue? they wanted a "cut-up roofline" with curb appeal, while i wanted a continuous running length in the hip roofline. there was nothing whatsoever in the covenants about prohibiting a specific roofline, or pitch).

HOA can have some benefits, but they often become a fairly heavy load for the folks trying to live there, especially when "power hungry" pilgrims serve on their boards.

i'll take a pass....

In the City that I have to work for, we have a design committee in a historic district.

They would not allow a building remodel plans submitted. Not historical. While the owner had pics of the old building at some period in time. And other buildings in that district had the same features as the design had. To intentionally try to match existing.

He was told no go. He asked what needed to change. They told him just change the plans and resubmit. He asked for a meeting with them. Nope. He asked who they were so he could ask HOW to redesign. Nope.

Then he lost his cool. I'm building inspector so I have to enforce. I'm with him the whole way personally. I"d have gone to an attorney.

In the end the committee got a few things but the council overruled them on a few things.

Its ridiculous when you follow whats printed. And have proof. Even though he did initially ignore some of the rules, he did do his best in the end to abide by them. And its even worse when you have to appease a committee that often has personal feelings involved rather than just go by their rules. AND they won't meet or talk to you or your architect. Guess the dumb *(_&(_*& don't realize how much it costs to redraw every time....

Personally I'd have packed my stuff, and built a new building outside the city limits.

But thats why I live outside the city limits and would refuse to move in if required by my job( which I"m surprised its not- they require my boss too.. which was beyond stupid also)

Of course its no surprise to many that know me, that I feel govt is way to big as is. And they are amazed that I work for govt, but I was in a bind and its a long story and at least it barely helps pay our bills.

HOA can be beyond stupid. And even worse than .gov.

I remember the old days, when we were in one, Dad was president for years, and it was all about houses falling down, waist high weeds on vacant lots, fences falling over, houses not painted and such.
Things that sort of really mattered and boiled down to common sense anyway, and life safety of sorts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I lived in S Florida working at HOA community's for many yrs dealing w/ those bagel eatin' nosy c*cksuckers. Take the flag & move outta the HOA would be my suggestion.

You know EXACTLY the ones I know down there. My mom was in one of those for 30 some odd years. She died last year and I just received a letter that the house is being auctioned off. I wouldn't want the first thing to deal with those SOB's.

Just visiting I almost punched out 2 old bastards. Living there for a month and I know I'd be in jail.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's the other thing, folks here always seem to assume that people 'sign' up for it, not 100% the case. Guessing some folks have never heard of inheritance.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
Why would anybody in their right mind live in a HOA to begin with?

I moved to a neighborhood with an HOA because I was running low on bullets for the neighbors dogs in Bandera County Texas. Hell, I musta killed sixty a year. Now I call the HOA and LEO, problem solved.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Before Dad died, my parents lived in a retirement mobile home park which is essentially an HOA. There were residents who spent most of their time just walking around the park looking for infractions, no matter how minor.
When Mom sold it, she wasn't allowed to post a for sale sign in the yard. She was limited to an almost invisible sign in a window.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's the other thing, folks here always seem to assume that people 'sign' up for it, not 100% the case. Guessing some folks have never heard of inheritance.

For sale.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
Why would anybody in their right mind live in a HOA to begin with?

I moved to a neighborhood with an HOA because I was running low on bullets for the neighbors dogs in Bandera County Texas. Hell, I musta killed sixty a year. Now I call the HOA and LEO, problem solved.

azzhole.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hate HOAs. I lived under one in the Fort Lauderdale area for four years in a relatively small community. Never again. Because one of the members had a psychotic fear of dogs (literally), they were constantly harassing me with made up crap. Claimed my back fence was flimsy, when it was solid as a rock. When they threatened me with fines for it, I had my sister (an attorney) write them a cease and desist letter on law firm letterhead. They stopped with that particular tact, and switched to petitioning that I get rid of my two dogs (a Doberman and a Pitbull). Finally, I moved.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Because they are retired Yankees from big cities that are accustomed to being told what to do.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty HOAs south of your imaginary Mason-Dixon Line. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Because they are retired Yankees from big cities that are accustomed to being told what to do.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty HOAs south of your imaginary Mason-Dixon Line. smile
That's where Yankees retire to.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
" IRVIN ...IRVIN .....CALL THE ASSOCIATION, THE NEIGHBORS WINDOW BLINDS ARE CROOKED"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
" IRVIN ...IRVIN .....CALL THE ASSOCIATION, THE NEIGHBORS WINDOW BLINDS ARE CROOKED"
That's it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 84 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.