Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Birdman: A coule of questions...I see a helmet mounted on your bike. Are you making good use of it? Also, I wonder if you'd considered an orange flag.

This is a great adventure to read. Just want to see you complete your goal in one piece. Stay safe. smile

CF

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Birdy, the best thing for dehydration I know of is PediaLite. It's used for babies that are dehydrated. My wife was having troubles with dehydration and we had to go to the emergency room for IV fluids a couple of times. My grandson who was a college wrestler at the time told us that the wrestlers used Pedialite to rehydrate after dehydrating to make weight. He said to mix it with water and it worked better for dehydration.

We tried it and it works fine, no more trips to the ER...

It also has sugar in it...

You can also buy it in powder form in little Koolaid like packages.

Last edited by Porkypine; 06/28/14.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
IF you have any interest in responding, I've wondered if you've drawn any Law Enforcement interest during your trip? I'd think any white man on a bicycle in southwest Arkansas might have drawn their interest.

None at all that I could tell. Look at the pics below, I'm so strangely dressed in straw hat and loose fitted clothing whatever profile I might fit ain't threatening. People tend to assume I'm poor tho. A nice Black lady in Linden TX offered to buy me a fountain drink and an engineer at a place I stopped in at Texarkana brung me out two cold bottles of water.

Only guy who recognized me right off for what I was was a 25 year-old in downtown Little Rock who tours on bikes a lot, tho' averaging a 100 miles per day in his case. Camped out along the way all the time, never been bothered.

Day 11: 77 miles.

On a Saturday, Little Rock weren't no big deal. Rolled out of Malvern maybe 7:00am. Came up 67 to Benton. Point of interest, just south of Benton on old 67, a bald eagle nest, said eagles already having done breeding for the year, enough to depart the nest anyway...

[Linked Image]

'nother point of interest, the crowd that hangs out at Rooster's barber shop on Main St. in Benton grin

Stopped by to ask directions, which became an extended conversation.

[Linked Image]

Later in the day, this friendly couple brung me a glass of ice water when I passed by their domicile....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More conversation followed, turns out all sorts of folks are generally happy to meet some guy bicycling across the US. But not everyone as it turns out, like the boyfriend of that young lady who asked me to keep her updated about my progress fer example (I guess I oughta be flattered grin )

Anyways, here the footbridge over the Arkansas in downtown Little Rock, the Clinton Presidential library being the grey building in the corner of the pic....

[Linked Image]

..and the river itself, looking downstream....

[Linked Image]

Got a might confused for a bit in North Little Rock, ended up going to Jacksonville by a longer back road, but made good time to Cabot. Where the thunderstorms closed in....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/IMG_2737_zpsc5d7c50b.jpg[/img]

I ended up riding in heavy rain for about twenty or thirty minutes, enough to know I can do it easily in the warm rain down here. Pitching a tent while keeping other stuff dry in that would have been problematic. I'll be needing some large trash bags to use as dry bags. I would not have ordinarily been riding at that hour alongside traffic in fading light under those conditions, but I was committed to make it to Beebe.

Anyways Miles took it upon himself to locate me and deliver me safely to a motel in Beebe, then we went to this absolutely tremendous restaurant in Searcy. One of the best I've been in with prices very reasonable for the quality and quantity of the food. Once again I am stunned by the generosity of a fellow 'Fire member. Thanks Miles.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Interested in where you got the hat. I'd like to have something like it when I go fishing. All I see for sale around here are ball caps.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Walmart garden center I think. Common as dirt around San Antonio.

Hmm, computer touchpad acting strange this morning, probly the tropical humidity. I'll pick up a mouse when I get chance.

Nothing in my bags got wet, but everything is damp if that makes sense.

Anyways I'm fixing to go primitive here right quick, and updates will become less frequent, or not at all if the notebook dies.

All else fails I'll just text folks here with my location.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher update: 6pm, McDonalds, Newport AR. 55 mile day.

Some days ya got it and some days ya don't. Woke up slow this morning, dawdling on purpose because I didn't want to get rained on again. Made my phone calls to check in with the home front, ate, browsed the 'net. Then went and read the newspaper and ate at the Waffle House across the street.

All of that and it was 10:30 before I rolled out, just not feeling into it. Couldn't get on the main divided highway and its broad shoulder, bicycles are verboten, so I had to take backroads.

Standing water all over the place, water almost up to the road bed in several places. Arkansas might possibly have more frogs than any other state in the union, it was a frog and toad party in the ditches all day long.

The eight mile stretch of 367 between Kensett and Bald Knob kicked my mass.... two lanes, no shoulder, heavy traffic the whole way. I had to pick my way carefully in low gear, getting of the road frequently.

This is a poor area and predominantly White. I stopped in at a convenience store at one point to take a break and a woman called to me from a parked pick-up while the guy was gone in the store. Thirties, pretty but fading, a meth expression, smoking a cigarette. Maybe a stripper once...

"You should be out of here before sundown" she said I can tell you ain't from around here, the Cops here are bad, run your past and lock you up for anything, even take you kids from school" she said pleasantly.

So I was fairly whupped by the time I got to Bald Knob, twenty miles along. Much to my gratification 367 the other side of Bald Knob was night and day different. Perfect; quiet, wide smooth shoulders. About 4pm the clouds broke and the sun came out, and that promised tailwind kicked in.

Water almost over the road north of Bald Knob, such that I was worried I might have to turn around. No worries, the road climbed shortly and there were hills. In the tiny town of Bradley a lady selling firework in a roadside booth called out and offered me some water, I explained my journey.

"You ain't going through Illinois are you?"[/quote] she said [I]"Those people are mean".

Also notable in Possum Grape; a junkyard full of spectacular rusted classic cars. I got pics I'll post 'em when I get time again.

Ten miles short of Newport I finally hit the flats I had been expecting, a wide open expanse of flooded fields.

Going to pitch a tent in Jacksonport State Park tonight. With an early start I might could possibly be in Missouri this time tomorrow cool

Birdwatcher

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keep it up Birdie - Enjoy the read -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
this is great! enjoying your travels as i read from lower alabama. keep safe out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Concern was expressed a bit back about my headgear. Suffice to say that I have more'n 200,000 miles on motorcycles. Which is relevant because IMHO bicyles per hour of operation are far more hazardous than motorcycles.

I am very much aware of the danger of scrambling my brains by bouncing my head off of the asphalt. I more than anyone hope this thread doesn't come to an abrupt end for that reason.

I should be understood however that what I am wearing is far from some sort of fashion or image statement. In this climate, in this time of year, I regard it as survival gear, pure and simple. Prob'ly 25 years of fieldwork in South Texas talking here.

Not interested in starting a campfire debate. It is what it is.

Anyways.....

Birdwatcher Update: Day 13. Wendy's. Pocahontas AR. 12:30pm.

The power of flat terrain, no chip seal, good roads and a tailwind. 55 miles so far, including stopping for an hour en route and its just noontime cool This just might turn out to be the elusive 100 mile day I dunno.

Rolled into my campsite ($15 :cool) on the bank of the rain-swollen White River in Jacksonport State Park at dusk. Had the REI Quarter dome deployed in about two minutes as the mosquito numbers began to build.

Opened tent door, threw in inflatable pillow, cotton sheet, flashlight and book and myself. Spent about ten minutes whapping about twenty mosquitos inside tent.

Kudos to REI for building such a fine product. I lay in comfort all night while the frustrated mosquito hordes outside sang me to sleep. Almost all night anyhow. Right before going to bed I had wolfed down a 24oz cup of oatmeal and granola, chased down by a half gallon of whole milk so natch at some point in the night I had to pee.

Already disrobed and not anxious to step outside, I opened up the tent flap zipper maybe two inches, just enough to get the job done, and peed out onto the grass as fast as I could. Pulled back in, zipped the flap lay back down and.... two of the little bastards had still got me. I whapped 'em against the top of the tent and they left two bloody red streaks, they already had made contact and taken a blood meal in maybe thirty seconds flat.

Sunrise and a fresh breeze and the mosquito horde abated somewhat. I discovered to my chagrin that my Arkansas highway map had not made it back onto the bike at McDonalds the evening before.

No worries I thought, I'll just get another at the next gas station. In fact I felt so confident I even tossed my Rand McNally Road Atlas to save weight even though I had already torn out all the non-relevant states. It is apparent by now that the best thing is just to carry a highway map of each state as needed.

55 miles and six or seven gas stations later, it has also become apparent that there ain't a road map to be had in this state north of Searcy crazy

Fortunately my way is simple, straight up 62/67.

OK, Corning AR (80 mile day)for sure today, Poplar Bluff MO possible (55 miles from here for a 108 mile day) if the wind and my legs hold out.

Birdwatcher

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Concern was expressed a bit back about my headgear. Suffice to say that I have more'n 200,000 miles on motorcycles. Which is relevant because IMHO bicyles per hour of operation are far more hazardous than motorcycles.

I am very much aware of the danger of scrambling my brains by bouncing my head off of the asphalt. I more than anyone hope this thread doesn't come to an abrupt end for that reason.

I should be understood however that what I am wearing is far from some sort of fashion or image statement. In this climate, in this time of year, I regard it as survival gear, pure and simple. Prob'ly 25 years of fieldwork in South Texas talking here.

Not interested in starting a campfire debate. It is what it is.

Anyways.....

Birdwatcher Update: Day 13. Wendy's. Pocahontas AR. 12:30pm.

The power of flat terrain, no chip seal, good roads and a tailwind. 55 miles so far, including stopping for an hour en route and its just noontime cool This just might turn out to be the elusive 100 mile day I dunno.

Rolled into my campsite ($15 :cool) on the bank of the rain-swollen White River in Jacksonport State Park at dusk. Had the REI Quarter dome deployed in about two minutes as the mosquito numbers began to build.

Opened tent door, threw in inflatable pillow, cotton sheet, flashlight and book and myself. Spent about ten minutes whapping about twenty mosquitos inside tent.

Kudos to REI for building such a fine product. I lay in comfort all night while the frustrated mosquito hordes outside sang me to sleep. Almost all night anyhow. Right before going to bed I had wolfed down a 24oz cup of oatmeal and granola, chased down by a half gallon of whole milk so natch at some point in the night I had to pee.

Already disrobed and not anxious to step outside, I opened up the tent flap zipper maybe two inches, just enough to get the job done, and peed out onto the grass as fast as I could. Pulled back in, zipped the flap lay back down and.... two of the little bastards had still got me. I whapped 'em against the top of the tent and they left two bloody red streaks, they already had made contact and taken a blood meal in maybe thirty seconds flat.

Sunrise and a fresh breeze and the mosquito horde abated somewhat. I discovered to my chagrin that my Arkansas highway map had not made it back onto the bike at McDonalds the evening before.

No worries I thought, I'll just get another at the next gas station. In fact I felt so confident I even tossed my Rand McNally Road Atlas to save weight even though I had already torn out all the non-relevant states. It is apparent by now that the best thing is just to carry a highway map of each state as needed.

55 miles and six or seven gas stations later, it has also become apparent that there ain't a road map to be had in this state north of Searcy crazy

Fortunately my way is simple, straight up 62/67.

OK, Corning AR (80 mile day)for sure today, Poplar Bluff MO possible (55 miles from here for a 108 mile day) if the wind and my legs hold out.

Birdwatcher

Loving the travelogue.

Lucky that you got the correct order on this one:

Pulled back in, zipped the flap

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice job Bird man!

Color me jealous! Looks like a hell of a journey!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you are a better guy than me in many ways, but one thing stands out, so to speak.
I would pee in the tent before i stuck my pecker out the window with all those skeeters around. Ain't no way.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
you are a better guy than me in many ways, but one thing stands out, so to speak.
I would pee in the tent before i stuck my pecker out the window with all those skeeters around. Ain't no way.

Me either, I'd have saved that milk jug for such use.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Pee jug is an essential item on long Alaska river trips where the mosquito is the state bird and the no-see-um ran a close second.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike if you see a state road crew working, they should have a road map to give you. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I'd have trouble getting mine outside the tent.

A group of us at a bench rest match once was bemoaning the woes of being 'peckerly challenged' when one of the group, a rather heavy fellow said, "My pore li'l ol' pecker ain't hardly no bigger around than a beer bottle but thank the Lord it's long." I've been afraid to use that for fear somebody would pull a knife and say, "Prove it"! blush

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fear not, I used to tell 'em in Africa that all White men had two penises, which is why we were so smart grin

Anyhoo...

Day 12 Pics.

The road north out of Beebe AR....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There was a lot of this, a lot of flooded lawns. That area does not drain well.

[Linked Image]

�...and the graveyards of the rusted automobiles...� Possum Grape AR

[Linked Image]

Rice fields south of Newport.

[Linked Image]

Rice silos in Newport.

[Linked Image]

The rain-swollen White River from my campsite.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/IMG_2758_zps87529683.jpg[/img]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like you're having a ball - in spite of the work -
Be safe Mike, and may you have a safe trip.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 13. 80 miles.

Turns out Jacksonport, on the White River, was a big deal once upon a time.

[Linked Image]

Founded in 1839 as a trading post. It must have been a feat to wrestle paddlewheelers up that river.

Leaving Jacksonport the first thing I came across was this cropduster. I am always impressed by the virtuosity of these guys and the rock-steady maneuverability of those planes. Breeze to my back, I had a good vantage point, the guy seeing me taking photos closed by turning on a dime and flying right overhead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then up 367, 10-15 mph wind at my back, good road, seems like I flew all the way to Pocahontas.

[Linked Image]

On the way, Walnut Ridge, where a sign on the highway said �where the Rock n' Roll highway meets Abbey Road�???

Looked like a typically depressed Northern Arkansas agricultural town going in.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/IMG_2792_zpsf68005b6.jpg[/img]

But then stuff like this....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/IMG_2793_zps0b89d376.jpg[/img]

A bit sad really, turns out the Beatles flew in and out of Walnut Ridge in 1964, and I missed seeing the life-sized Abbey Road sculpture....

http://cityofwalnutridge.com/dedication-set-for-beatles-sculpture/

And really, like the Beatles I shoulda run north out of Pocahantas to Missouri, sounds like its pretty up there.

Always hard to know how far you're gonna get on these things, the haul to Corning, largely crosswise to the wind, was a bear. The road shoulder not nearly as good. I did stop to salt up along the way at this old gas station....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/IMG_2798_zps0ef30d19.jpg[/img]

Rolled into Corning at 5pm and I was ready to quit for the day. Cereal and chocolate milk didn't help. Um... I was facing �personal chafing� issues from those two mosquito bites the night before.

I'm only about 7 miles from Cape Girardeau MO where I cross the Mississippi so Missouri should be a one night proposition. If I can pull 70 miles a day I can be in historic Vincennes IN for the 4th.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
If I can pull 70 miles a day I can be in historic Vincennes IN for the 4th.

Birdwatcher

its the small things in life that make it worthwhile.

Last edited by fluffy; 07/01/14.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.