Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just held a Backountry at the store. Wasn't that impressed. Actually felt rather cheap. I know that really doesn't mean a thing, but it was my first impression. Action had a gritty feeling to it. Does it share the same stock with the Mark V?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
If you want to save some money; find a used basic 6 lug MK V, black bead blasted. You can find them for under $600 sometimes. A stainless will probably come in about $100 more.They come in about 6.5lbs; then put it in a McMillan stock; Edge if you want lighter. You will have no more, maybe less, invested than a new Backcountry and a lot less than a ULW. Makes a nice package.

[Linked Image]

Cruiser1 You have ,(for me),The best all around rifle I have EVER seen here on the fire or any where else.
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by STS45
I'm getting ready to get my dad his first new hunting rifle in over 20 years. He is a diehard Weatherby fan so that is all he wants
I've been getting conflicting reports - some say both rifles shoot great, others say Weatherby's are the biggest waste of money.

First off, if he's dead set on Weatherby, get the Ultralight. Second, your last statement that Weatherbys are a waste of money is true. However Weatherby doesn't make the Back Country, and they are a good, accurate and dependable rifle. I would not assign any of those qualities to a Mark V�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would not assign any of those qualities to a Mark V�..

I would but mine is a Deluxe and not the UL.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Cruiser1 You have ,(for me),The best all around rifle I have EVER seen here on the fire or any where else.
AMRA"

Thanks AMRA; it is, IMO, about the perfect Southern whitetail rifle. I have a safe full of VERY nice Sako's and enjoy taking them afield; but when I am hunting on the ground or from a treestand; I always grab this 7lb 7mm-08 Mark V. To the OP; no problems with the 3 Mark V's I have owned. And they produce results.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
"Cruiser1 You have ,(for me),The best all around rifle I have EVER seen here on the fire or any where else.
AMRA"

Thanks AMRA; it is, IMO, about the perfect Southern whitetail rifle. I have a safe full of VERY nice Sako's and enjoy taking them afield; but when I am hunting on the ground or from a treestand; I always grab this 7lb 7mm-08 Mark V. To the OP; no problems with the 3 Mark V's I have owned. And they produce results.

[Linked Image]

Nice Buck!
I have tried to find one like yours for YEARS no luck.
I finally bought a WBY Mark V ULW 5 3/4 lbs 30-06 from Wes 7x57
here on the FIRE and sent it to Hired Gun here on the FIRE
to have the externals Cerakoted and the internals Micro-Slicked
What size Zeiss and ret is on your 7mm-08 WBY?
P.S. I have a Sako A-7 Tecomate 300 WSM coming!

Last edited by AMRA; 06/19/14.

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's a 2.5-10x42 Victory Diavari #8 reticle, Lutotec coatings. This is my cerakotedBlue Titanium Mark V 270 Wby mag in a McMillan that started our as a black bead blasted synthetic model that I picked up dirt cheap; it go's to the pipeline and cutovers. As I stated; I have ZERO issues with Mark V's and I really did not plan to be a Weatherby guy, love my Sako's, but they just found me and these 2 rifle's cover any situation where I hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 06/19/14.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
FWIW, my Wby ULW in 7mm Wby shoots under MOA with several factory loads: 160gr CorBon TSX; Nosler 160gr AB; and Nosler 150gr NP.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
FWIW, my Wby ULW in 7mm Wby shoots under MOA with several factory loads: 160gr CorBon TSX; Nosler 160gr AB; and Nosler 150gr NP.

Love that cartridge in that rifle. Looking to pick one up for use as my top end rifle/cartridge combo. The ULW's I own and have owned have been among the smoothest cycling actions I have ever had and a dream when trying to chamber a second shot from the shoulder. A main reason why I own only Weatherby's and Kimbers right now and they've been more accurate than a hunter really needs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had several Mark V's, including 4-5 Ultralights, and some Vanguards (but not the Back Country). All of mine, both Vanguard and Mark V have shot several loads under MOA and in some cases well under. I sold my Weatherby Ultralights a few years ago to buy Another brand of high-end quality light weight rifles, which have now gone to other owners and are not missed, but I regret selling the Weatherby Ultralights and I don't often regret selling a gun.

I would go Weatherby Mark V Ultralight for sure if that is what he likes. The 6-lug guns in particular are great.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have had several Mark V's, including 4-5 Ultralights, and some Vanguards (but not the Back Country). All of mine, both Vanguard and Mark V have shot several loads under MOA and in some cases well under. I sold my Weatherby Ultralights a few years ago to buy Another brand of high-end quality light weight rifles, which have now gone to other owners and are not missed, but I regret selling the Weatherby Ultralights and I don't often regret selling a gun.

I would go Weatherby Mark V Ultralight for sure if that is what he likes. The 6-lug guns in particular are great.

What calibers were your ULs? I have always liked the idea of one in .257 or .270 WBYs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That I can remember, I had two in .270 win, a 7-08, a .284 (rechambered 7-08) and a 7mm Weatherby. The second .270 was my favorite. It had the later coated barrel and tan stock and it was a tack driver. I also really liked the 7mm Weatherby. With factory 160 Trophy Bonded Tipped ammo, it got about 3200 and shot into 3/4" like clockwork. I didn't like the .284 much. All purchased for under $1000, some well under.

I now have a couple of Mark V Deluxes, in .257 and .300, which are tack drivers, and an older, really clean Japanese .270 Weatherby with the Weatherby number 1 24" barrel. Somebody put it into a B&C stock and with the light barrel it weighs close to the same as an Ultralight and shoots into about 3/8".

I would love to pick up another Ultralight in .270 Win, but haven't found the right deal.

S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So I'm going to go with the Ultralight. Now I just have to find one.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Put a want to buy add in the classifieds. What cartridge you have in mind?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Believe he said 30-06.

Last edited by john843; 06/29/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So I'm going to go with the Ultralight. Now I just have to find one.

I've killed three bulls, an antelope, and a bunch of bucks with mine but I've never been happy with how I shoot it at distance. If I decide to let her go I'll let you know.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So what if any differences are their between the new ultralights with the tan stock and the older ones with the grey stock?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got the same as GRF mentioned in the 25-06
and would mirror his remarks. Very accurate with good handloads and a pleasure to carry around. 100 grain TSSX shoot lights out. Use it for everything from coyotes to elk so far with nary a problem.

Last edited by troutslayer; 07/01/14.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what if any differences are their between the new ultralights with the tan stock and the older ones with the grey stock?

Nothing. WBY just changed the color of the B&C STOCK from gray
to tan and blackened the stainless barrel.

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had two ULW. First was in a 7 rem mag that still felt to heavy and didn't like how it shot. That one went down the road.

I picked up a second in 30-06, the smaller 6 lug action. Much more balanced and much lighter. It took a little work, bedding, trigger, re-crowning (slight nick), and of course trigger. It's good for three shots but starts to open up a bit after that. Let it cool and it's back on.

It is a little harder to shoot because it is so light. Really need to think about form and follow through. If you jerk the trigger it'll show. But overall I like it a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.