Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The new DPMS SASS is advertised on Buds for about 1800
The Knights Armament SR25 is over 3500

What is the big deal with the Knights? Is the BCG and Trigger super duper? The barrel? What is the engineering difference? I don't understand or see it.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What makes a Knight's Armament SR-25 worth $3500? Not a damn thing. The ones he pawned off on 5th SF Group wouldn't shoot for schidt. Reed Knight is a crook.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
What makes a Knight's Armament SR-25 worth $3500? Not a damn thing. The ones he pawned off on 5th SF Group wouldn't shoot for schidt. Reed Knight is a crook.

No kidding...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Must be a lot of dumbasses buying them or he could not sport that price and sell a gun.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't like KAC at all. I shoot them at work because they are issued to us but when I shoot precision matches I don't use KAC. Their service is lousy and their is a lot I would change about the guns they field for us.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are very reliable and fairly accurate guns, thats why they come at a premium. They also sport the KAC name so that tacks on a few hundred extra alone. Are they $1000-$2000 better than everything else? No, I do not think so. LaRue, LMT, JP, and GA Precision all make rifles that are just as or more accurate for less money and all have awesome customer service.

Last edited by CBMJR; 07/04/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
KAC does a lot of trail blazing and makes one of two 308 AR's I'd trust my life with. They are not as accurate as some possibly but they do the job at any range the 308 is good for. They are not hobby guns and priced accordingly and so is LaRues version.

I suppose some will say their RRDPMS will out shoot it and I know of one AR-10t that did but for a battle rifle, I think I'd want acceptable accuracy and extreme reliability but I'm just a hunter and ain't gonna spend the money or carry the weight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
me neither, a DD 5.56 and spend the rest of the money on a fantastic optic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wasn't the SASS rifle they came up with kinda the first of its type?? other guns have came out that are better choices, but some people think there is value just in something that costs alot of money. Thant and they can say its the same gun as the seals shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do y'all have against a .5MOA 10lb rifle with a 25 round magazine that can shoot just as fast as you can pull the trigger? smile

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno but the KAC SR25 sure would look good with the $800 surefire flashlight. Har!

Funny thing. We complain about goverment waste without looking at our own spending habits.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
KAC does a lot of trail blazing and makes one of two 308 AR's I'd trust my life with.

What is the other? Did you know Reed Knight owns a tank?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CBMJR
They are very reliable and fairly accurate guns, thats why they come at a premium.

What is it engineering wise that makes one of these premium rifles more reliable? Better ejectors? Better BCG's?

The older DPMS uppers and lowers were 6066 aluminum if I got my numbers right, (the inferior alum.) and memory serves me but who ever had a cracked upper or lower?

Not being devil's advocate; I honestly want to know what makes one more reliable than another from an engineering technical perspective. Always grateful for the feedback.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not that all of this is necessary or even preferred, but some of the things I can name off the top of my head that make the KAC more expensive are:

They use better quality barrels with better chambers, better QC on bolts and extractor parts, better triggers, correct gas system lengths and port sizes, ambi controls, milspec vs. commercial receiver extensions, much better quality handguards, muzzle devices that serve as comps and suppressor mounts, SOPMOD stocks, and I am sure im missing other things but thats just some of what drives the price.

Last edited by CBMJR; 07/05/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Not that all of this is necessary or even preferred, but some of the things I can name off the top of my head that make the KAC more expensive are:

They use better quality barrels with better chambers, better QC on bolts and extractor parts, better triggers, correct gas system lengths and port sizes, ambi controls, milspec vs. commercial receiver extensions, much better quality handguards, muzzle devices that serve as comps and suppressor mounts, SOPMOD stocks, and I am sure im missing other things but thats just some of what drives the price.

Nothign against .5 moa and semi. But anyone can build one like that for less money.

Including the parts you mention. Any smith worth his salt uses top line parts. And you can get better barrels than Knights uses is my guess, but i don't know what barrel they do use. Rare to find anyone line maker that uses the best tubes. 100 bucks more than cheaper tubes and the line makers still prefer to pocket that 100.

As I've learned to say, if you don't want to do all the work yourself, making contacts and having one put together, and don't mind paying mucho for a name, then get after it.

I'd be surprised if I couldn't put together as good or better shooting gun for 1000 bucks less. Maybe even more savings that depending.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

I'd be surprised if I couldn't put together as good or better shooting gun for 1000 bucks less. Maybe even more savings that depending.

I did grin , and in my opinion, thats the way to go with .308 AR's. Mine has a Lilja barrel with an adjustable gas block, Geissele trigger, JP Bolt and JP SCS. All premium parts make up the heart of the rifle and still came in $1000-$1500 less than a KAC (two different style rifles though). I am not saying the KAC is worth every dollar they charge, just that they come at a premium for a reason.

Last edited by CBMJR; 07/05/14.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by TWR
KAC does a lot of trail blazing and makes one of two 308 AR's I'd trust my life with.

What is the other? Did you know Reed Knight owns a tank?

LMT would be the other one if I had an extra $2700.

I've heard he has a very impressive full auto collection as well but I don't know anything about him.

I know that the only SR25 I've handled was a fine weapon. It's not the most accurate gun around but under MOA and it runs and runs and runs. I know I prefer SOPMOD stocks and KAC designed and produced them for LMT. I know the bolt design KAC came up with will out live the current mil spec HP MPI'd bolt we've been using. I know their micro BUIS is the best one I've seen. I also know they are overpriced but what isn't? $1800 for a dpms is about twice what their worth as well.

There are companies who sit back and build copies.
And then there are those that improve the design on their own dime. I would not call them crooks.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I will add that I don't own any Knights products that I can recall nor would I pay their asking prices. But I do like some of their products.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do bolts wear out quicker on the 10s?

I've never worn one out on a 15 but do dump them after 3 barrels just in case, figuring thats anywhere from 12K rounds on up depending.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We have had this discussion in the same vein regards 5.56 caliber weapons. I have always believed that in a gun you would bet your life on, that you should select one within certain parameters. Others laugh and say "parts is parts" to quote our friend TWR.

If I need a gun for self preservation it would be a 5.56, should I need a .308 for that same purpose I guess I would join the rest of the dumbasses and get a Knight.

The jury is still out on the new DPMS, however for the money the MP10 is a hard gun to beat for a reliable weapon. Not sure if I would get the Ruger piston gun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.