Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There are a number of quality boots out there and the most important thing is fit and comfort - get that right and the rest will follow. It will take a trip to a retailer tho, or a possibly a number of parcels in the mail.
Insulation is not necessary, thats what good sox are for.
Goretex boots are waterproof, BUT they all have one big hole, right where your foot goes in! Goretex is excellent for wet grass, shallow stream crossings etc, but do it enough times and moisture will go through. The problem with Goretex boots is they take longer to dry. The best way to dry them is to pack them with newspaper each night.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as insulated versus non insulated, I prefer a little insualtion but not much. My feet get cold in a true lightweight non insulated model if its below 35-40 degrees and I'm still. If I have a leather boot I can get down to 25-30 while still but not much more. My Crispis have a light amount of insulation in them without being overkill. I can get down to about 20-25 degrees if not moving with good socks on and lower than that if moving around some. I can wear them up to 65-70 degrees and still be comfortable without overheating. To me, that's exactly what I want.

I had the same problemas you as far as not being able to try things on at the store. I ordered boots from Lathrop and Sons, Crispi USA direct, Cabelas, Kennetrek, Zappos, Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry.com. I tried on 12-14 different pairs of boots and used them around the house and climbed the stairs and tried to figure out what worked best for me. All of those palces had great customer service and allowed me to return the boots I didn't like. I ended up keeping the Crispi's for now and have been very pleased. Don't hesitate to order and return, that's what they make credit cards for!

Lee

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was under the impression with good quality boots they could rebuild them. It sounds like they last some of you guys a season or two and then you buy a new set. Do you just keep two sets and rebuild the one your not wearing? I am finally going this weekend to get a pair and though my requirements are different than the OP I would like to know about good quality boots in general.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having done a Kodiak goat hunt, I'd say throw in a pair of Kahtoola crampons. That grass is really slippery when wet!
As has been said, the boots need to fit right. I've had/have Aku (4, 2 insul. and 2 non), La Sportiva (2), the Asolo 520 TPS, Danner Acadias, Scarpa, and a few more I've probable forgotten. My favorite for that type of hunt are the Lowa Hunters. I just bought my second pair. My first pair still have life left in them, but since my older boy is wearing my size boot now, I thought he could use one of the pair this season.

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm slow jumping in, but I will suggest Russell Moccasins http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

These are custom boots with NO breakin. I have two pairs, one purchased ion 1990. That pair is on its third set of air bob soles. That is the high country hunter, which looks like the grand slam sheep hunter. They have a new website and apparently new models. This boot has 3 layers of leather on the foot, and I have NEVER had wet feet in them, even while wading. I bought the other pair because I had a serious ankle injury and need ankle support, which they now offer in their boots. Expensive, and it takes time to get them, but well worth the time and $. They will make anything you want, so have at it!

Fred

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You need to try on a bunch of boots and get what fits you. It took me over a year but I found Salewa Rapace boots fit well...they are also the lightest mountain boots you will find. I don't get cold feet with good socks if I keep dry until -15 C or so. No insulation for me until well into October.

http://www.salewa.us/footwear/mountaineering

Last edited by North61; 07/15/14.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 9 invisible), 13,954 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,001
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.