Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
All the signs around here are worded so that the responsibility is on the one reading the sign. Something to the effect that it is illegal to carry except where permitted by law. Just a fear mongering attempt IMHO since it is legal to carry in those places but most will only see the illegal part. Really pisses me off!!!

if there is the possibility of making money, or damaging America, there will be an attorney ready to take up the challenge.
And there you have it!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have a few decades of random violence and mass shootings as precedence. I think one could make a case that the store is liable because it was a reasonably forseeable threat. And given the statistics over the past few decades, you could also make the case that any threat of liability for allowing someone to carry concealed in their business isn't backed up by any facts or statistics.

It would be a tough case, because the property owner or business owner also has the right to say what does and does not go on in their business.

Tough case, but one I'd love to see happen. Although I'd hate to have anyone hurt or killed just to see it happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Dutch
I think the basic argument comes from Heller, where the court confirmed the fundamental right to self defense. If an entity compromises your fundamental right to self defense, it would seem it has incurred an obligation.

Let me ask you this. If my employer has a no firearm policy, is my employer liable from the time I leave home to the time I get home?

Only if you are not able or allowed to carry to and from work (i.e. must park in company parking lot where you can't leave a firearm in the vehicle).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the basic argument comes from Heller, where the court confirmed the fundamental right to self defense. If an entity compromises your fundamental right to self defense, it would seem it has incurred an obligation.

Let me ask you this. If my employer has a no firearm policy, is my employer liable from the time I leave home to the time I get home?

Only if you are not able or allowed to carry to and from work (i.e. must park in company parking lot where you can't leave a firearm in the vehicle).

One of my Reps introduced a bill last month on the issue...

"This week in Harrisburg, an amendment has been filed by state Senator Rich Alloway (R-33) to House Bill 827. This amendment would amend employee parking lot protection language into HB 827 and could be voted on sometime this week in the Pennsylvania Senate. Thus, it is critical that you contact your state Senator TODAY in support of this amendment.

The Alloway amendment would prevent public and private employers from establishing, maintaining or enforcing a policy to prohibit employees who are concealed carry license holders from storing a handgun secured in their motor vehicle parked at their workplace.

There seems to be a plethora of businesses micromanaging the lawful contents of one�s private vehicle at the workplace. These policies are widespread across the Keystone State, and something needs to be done. These types of gun bans only serve to jeopardize the safety of employees commuting to and from the workplace, and the employer holds no liability if you fall victim to a violent crime during your commute. You shouldn�t have to be the next potential victim of violent crime because you decided to seek employment at a steel company or a department store that arbitrarily bans the storage of firearms in your privately-owned vehicle.

It�s important that you call AND e-mail your state Senator TODAY and urge him or her to vote for this pro-gun amendment to HB 827. Urge your state Senator to stop the banning of firearms inside one�s private motor vehicle. Tell them that 23 states around the country have employee protection parking lot laws, and that Pennsylvanians should have the same rights as nearly half the country!"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In Washington the no gun signs have no law to enforce them, it is more like a suggestion. See the sign, go in anyway and there is nothing they can do but ask you to leave. I think that would rule out any suing.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The answer to that question is yes! Under Washington State Law along with a number of other states under Workman's Compensation Laws the employer is liable for any injuries not only in the workplace but also sustained while in transit directly to and from the workplace.

There have been several cases where and employee has stopped at the local watering hole on the way home and was in an accident and the employer had to pay under Workman's Comp.

Yes I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but under that reasoning a president has been set.

Last edited by W7ACT; 07/08/14. Reason: To add last paragraph..

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
In Washington the no gun signs have no law to enforce them, it is more like a suggestion. See the sign, go in anyway and there is nothing they can do but ask you to leave. I think that would rule out any suing.
Yeah that may work for Washington, but most other states have a law on the books for businesses that post it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I understand that but what gets me is whenever the stats come out for states with good gun laws WA always ranks poorly.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.