Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I read this in Fair Chase magazine this evening.

"When someone boasts of killing from afar, I'm tempted to console him: "Cheer up; you'll get closer next time." '
-Wayne van Zwoll

GB1

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I read this in Fair Chase magazine this evening.

"When someone boasts of killing from afar, I'm tempted to console him: "Cheer up; you'll get closer next time." '
-Wayne van Zwoll

Now that's a signature line...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've met Don on several instances and he is indeed a great individual and he knows his stuff. The PH school John speaks about is without question, the most rigorous in the industry and I'll also add that besides being an accomplished PH and author, he is a rifle and bullet loonie as well!

Well I don't personally know the fellow and I'll take you word he is a swell fella, but if he is stymied by a 400yd shot I would not consider him much of an authority on rifles nor bullets. cool

I don't know him either. Maybe he could be both a hunter and a rifleman?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been wondering who this Don Heath fella is for awhile now...

Link to a different article by Heath:

Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I've met Don on several instances and he is indeed a great individual and he knows his stuff. The PH school John speaks about is without question, the most rigorous in the industry and I'll also add that besides being an accomplished PH and author, he is a rifle and bullet loonie as well!

Well I don't personally know the fellow and I'll take you word he is a swell fella, but if he is stymied by a 400yd shot I would not consider him much of an authority on rifles nor bullets. cool

Not if he can not reliably make a 400yd shot in good conditions.

Just the way it is. shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

As much as I get annoyed by the attacks on long range stuff around here this is just as ignorant.

There are different sorts of hunting, rifles, and bullets one needs to be an expert in different places.

Similarly there are different styles/methods of hunting one can engage in... Some near opposites, even in identical areas for identical species, and all may be called "authorities".

That is to say, you're just as ridiculous sounding calling this guy's credentials into question because he doesn't agree with you on this as others here are for doing the same thing to you.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not necessarily. A new hunter should practice killing targets first, anyway.

Thanks Jordan that is exactly what I was getting at.

Trying as I did illustrated the difficulty of wring three points that are truly universal like that. So many qualifiers...

I'd say that from what I've seen of the average hunter he did a good job.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Where did he say that? The piece wasn't written for him; he wrote it for others. If you think his generalizations untrue generally then you haven't been around average hunters much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Not if he can not reliably make a 400yd shot in good conditions.

Just the way it is. shocked"

This may come as a shock, but some folks have no interest in making 400yd shots(even if they can), as they prefer having excellent hunting/stalking skills, as opposed to simply being a good shot. This however, does not mean they aren't also a good shot. They've just made a choice to, and enjoy, getting in close, before shooting.

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This has gotten way out of hand- but at least we aren't calling him names yet.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
This has gotten way out of hand- but at least we aren't calling him names yet.

Wait a bit...

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
This just appeared in the latest SUCCESSFUL HUNTER. Written by a very well respected and experienced African PH. Finally, someone willing to state the obvious.

1. "Modern premium bullets make the 270 Winchester into the all-around plains game cartridge."

2. "If something is more than 350 yards away, I contend no one has any ethical business shooting unless the game is wounded."

3. Too many clients are arriving overgunned and under practiced.

I am not familiar with the guy. Is he usually right about 60% of the time? grin

A little defensiveness showing, John? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I haven't exactly adhered to the good advice in the brief quotation in every respect, I surely understand the whys and wherefores and can appreciate them. It seems #2 is the biggest stumbling block for those who take issue with the fellow's opinions. I suspect most people who have taken shots at longer distances on game animals know quite well, even if they don't like to admit it publicly, that there have been instances where things have, or could have, gone badly very easily. Second shot challenges are not simplified as distances are extended. As advice goes, it's really pretty hard to fault I think.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Heath article linked to above, was blunt and brutal. While the rigors of American hunting are not as "tough" as Africa, one wonders if there is anything out there that is suitable for the dark continent. Everything he wrote referenced back to older models or newer ones tuned properly by talented gunsmiths.
Very interesting read.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
While the rigors of American hunting are not as "tough" as Africa.....

As with most generalizations, this one has lots of room for error.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So there were no riflemen before long range became all the rage?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I will say this, I don't think that well-heeled sportsmen hunting in Africa are necessarily a good representation of the typical American hunter. Maybe it is just a regional thing but virtually every hunter I know practices for a 300-400 yd shot and expects to have to take one. You can usually get closer but for someone to blatantly state that it is unethical to shoot beyond 350 yards turns me off. Maybe shooting elephants and buffalo beyond 350 yards is unethical but where do we draw the line? Is it unethical to shoot an unwounded woodchuck at 500 yards? Maybe African game is afforded higher life status than American game.

I don't doubt that many shooters show up over gunned and under practiced however.

I don't know a damned thing about anything in Africa.

But in the mountains of west or central Idaho, a working man had better be prepared to take a 400 yd shot, or else be content with a freezer which spends many years void of game.

If you push that 150 gr Partition to 2900 fps from the 270, it is down to 2150 fps at 400 yds. Similar to a 30-30 at 50 yds. Sure, it will kill an elk.

But I consider it valuable insurance that my STW is still pushing a 160 to 2600 fps at 400 yds.

I thought Denis' post was great and well thought out. I'm in agreement with both of you guys. Of course, I grew up not too far away (northern Nevada) from you and learned/practiced shooting longrange from an early age. Every ethical hunter should know where to draw the line as far as range limitations are concerned. To say it's "unethical" to shoot past 350 yards, is plain and simple BS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Ross made his living as a writer and if you happened to read his articles over the years you saw many contradictions as he also wrote glowing things about various magnum rifles and seemed particularly fond of the 340 Wby.

Don Heath, "Ganyana", on the other hand not only reports on his extensive experience, but also addresses documented experiences of many others.

I have read Ross's articles since the 80's and I never saw a contradiction, rather I saw a change as bullets changed over the course of time. I believe he stated "I have to rethink my position"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

:::SIGH:::

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB, How's this? smirk

This just appeared in the latest SUCCESSFUL HUNTER. Written by a very well respected and experienced African PH. Finally, someone willing to state the obvious.

1. "Modern premium bullets make the 270 Winchester into the all-around plains game cartridge."

2. "If something is more than 350 yards away, I contend no one has any ethical business shooting unless the game is wounded."

3. Too many clients are arriving overgunned and under practiced.

I concur

I am a huge 270 fan and have never ever thought the 270 was lacking for plains game. I guess I read too many JOC stories and have seen too much game properly put in the freezer with it.

I (personally) am not a fan of long range hunting. I challenge myself to get close. That is what I prefer, some prefer to challenge themselves with their equipment and stretch the limits. I also think that there is a unspoken downside of LR hunting that results in unrecovered and wounded animals.

I learned early on circa 1982, that magnumitis is not good. When a gentleman carrying a 7mm Rem Mag scoffed at our 270's and proceeded to wound deer, while our tags slowly got punched.
Was it the cartridges fault? not per say, but the perception of instant death and recoil quite possibly could have been factors in not becoming proficient with his rifle.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Where did he say that? The piece wasn't written for him; he wrote it for others. If you think his generalizations untrue generally then you haven't been around average hunters much.

It was right there in the OP. The part where he said "I contend no one" would be construed by any sane person familiar with the English language to include himself.

To call that unequivocal statement a "generalization" is a misstatement on your part to try and bolster a failing argument. If you "feel" that the average guy should not shoot past 350yds I won't argue with you, as you are entitled to your feelings.

On the other hand if somebody wants to throw out ridiculous unequivocal statements I have been known to offer up my opinion, which might be in the form of an unequivocal statement. shocked

Originally Posted by smokepole

So there were no riflemen before long range became all the rage?

Reach has always been "all the rage".

All the major developments in rifles have come as an effort to extend the reach of the rifleman. I suspect there were a few who felt rifling was a fad and the 75 yd reach of their smoothbore was plenty.

To be, unequivocally, stymied by a 400yd shot is the mark of a duffer.

That would be my opinion in the form of an unequivocal statement some might find ridicules or possibly somewhat inflammatory. cool

While I am picking on the quotes could someone explain which "modern" bullets transformed the .270 Win and what happens when we shoot "less modern" bullets in the .270 Win.

By less modern I am referring to the kinds of bullets Jack O'Connor used on plains game in Africa or when my Dad was killing elk back in the 70s with the .270 Win.

I as sort of unaware that the .270 Win was previously unable to humanly kill plains game sized critters before "modern bullets".

I think I was a tad generous with the 60%. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.