Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by JGRaider

This one works in SA and Namibia. I've used this exact one in both places.

I don't disagree, that is similar to the ones I purchased. However, having a three pack does you no good if you only one outlet. I found every place I was at only had room for one plug space per outlet. That is why an extension cord or a power strip would be handy.

I think next year I will find a way to pack a small power strip and use it...I also found only one outlet in the room.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of electrical appliances' compatibility to 220. My wife took a small hair dryer. It is quite old, but it does require a switch to be turned. She didn't do that and it nearly burned out before she asked me to look at it. A coin to turn the switch and it worked without problem, although it only had one speed.

Back home on 110W, the different speeds are available again. No harm, no foul!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I really appreciate the information. I'm going to get one of those plus a power strip.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes a power strip is handy as most rooms only have one outlet

Piss!!! We got cold a couple nights and with no heat I wished I had an electric blanket

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Marlin - remind me to tell you about the safari package I bid on at the NRA banquet - it's all your fault!!!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Oh, and best of luck. I'm looking forward to a trip of a lifetime and I hope you have the same!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Yes a power strip is handy as most rooms only have one outlet

Piss!!! We got cold a couple nights and with no heat I wished I had an electric blanket

Apparently South Africans have no comprehension of insulating a building or central heat. Nights can get pretty cool, especially if it rained. Seemed to be especially cold then. The electric blankets were nice to warm the bed, but too warm to sleep with. Because of only one outlet, the CPAP won, but the space heater lost. Used the heater to take the edge off the room temp. It was never too cold, but some evenings I wondered how cold it was going to get.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went to Zimbabwe in 12, South Africa in 13 and back to South Africa on July 21 this year. The above posts cover things well, but.....
Layers of clothes are important, its darn cool in the morning
You need two pairs of pants and shorts, one to wear and the one that's being washed for tmw
A light jacket is a must
I take a 12V to 110V power converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and charge my cameras and I phone that way
I use the spray that you apply to clothes ahead of time to keep ticks away. Its mentioned above and is sold at Cabelas. I sprayed my clothes yesterday. And I put regular repellant on daily ti ankles, neck and arms.
I take diarrhea medicine and Aleve but have never needed them.
Obviously take what ever meds you take routinely
Pack valuable stuff like binoculars, cameras and range finders in your carry on, that way it won't get stolen

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I went to Zimbabwe in 12, South Africa in 13 and back to South Africa on July 21 this year. The above posts cover things well, but.....
Layers of clothes are important, its darn cool in the morning
You need two pairs of pants and shorts, one to wear and the one that's being washed for tmw
A light jacket is a must
I take a 12V to 110V power converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and charge my cameras and I phone that way
I use the spray that you apply to clothes ahead of time to keep ticks away. Its mentioned above and is sold at Cabelas. I sprayed my clothes yesterday. And I put regular repellant on daily ti ankles, neck and arms.
I take diarrhea medicine and Aleve but have never needed them.
Obviously take what ever meds you take routinely
Pack valuable stuff like binoculars, cameras and range finders in your carry on, that way it won't get stolen

I packed my binoculars, rangefinders, etc in my rifle case (Tuffpak).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We visited our Dr with a list of medicines we had him write a prescription for

Out of our hunt party and all of the PH's we medicated nearly everyone at least 1X or another.......jet-lag.....sore upset stomach.....diarrhea

Vactruim for a bad case of sick......thank god none of this was needed

Ambium for the plane ride and to put you down if needed

Be prepared.......you're a long way from Walgreend

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The electric blankets were nice to warm the bed, but too warm to sleep with. Because of only one outlet, the CPAP won, but the space heater lost. Used the heater to take the edge off the room temp. It was never too cold, but some evenings I wondered how cold it was going to get. [/quote]

Speaking of CPAP where did you get distilled water or did you bring a gallon with you? Don't want to forget that. cry

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just used bottled water on the trip. Easier than carting around a gallon jug.

BTW, if in a restaurant or store and order water, you have to specify "still", "sparkling" or "tap" water. That was the only language barrier I had in town. smile

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Went and sighted my rifle in today. Using 210 grain NP's. Should handle anything I can afford to shoot. Including the Zebra, wildebeast and kudu, or the warthog. Other two don't need anything close to that.

I know what tap water is, I know what sparkling water is, what's "still" water?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still water is regular bottled water. Not from the tap.

Eric

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
No wonder you make the big bucks. smile Thanks. Stay safe, ya hear!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lol, yeah right!!!

I'm looking forward to getting out of here for a bit, especially now that we're into the really HOT season.

I spent a good part of yesterday going through details of my upcoming hunt and studying shot placement for the animals. If you haven't seen it africahunting.com has a cool shot placement guide that shows you where the sweet spot is for each animal. I plan to load up on biltong.... I love that stuff! I need to figure out whether you can carry it back through the airport.

Eric

Last edited by EricM; 07/05/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy it at the duty free in the Johannesburg airport but you will lose it in ATL....get a bottle of Amarula though.........good stuff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Eric: you can't bring biltong back to the states, so enjoy it there!

The USDA employs 'Biltong Beagles' to detect the stuff in your luggage.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't really enjoy biltong. Not to my taste I guess. I found I was up 5 times a night. I don't handle salt very well anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I absolutely LOVE biltong. I'm heading back to Djibouti so maybe there's an opportunity to bring back a load..?

I also am a fan of amarula. You can buy it stateside at BevMo! smile

Eric

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.