-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I once liked the 270... Until i found out from some of the more experienced here on the Fire that they were queer.

I hate it too as my 270s did a fine job for me.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Me too, I remember reading JOC writing the factory .280 ammo was loaded down in pressure for use in the semi autos. He also mentioned the .280 didn't seem to be very popular compared to his favorite .270.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by OceanBlue
Me too, I remember reading JOC writing the factory .280 ammo was loaded down in pressure for use in the semi autos. He also mentioned the .280 didn't seem to be very popular compared to his favorite .270.
JOC wrote in the book "The Hunting Rifle" paraphrasing here,"what one can do,so can the other."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by agazain
The .280 Remington is what the .270 is hoping to be. JOC even said so, and Carmichael backs that up. (Really doesn't matter unless you want to load 7mm bullets.)

Would you share that O'Connor quote with us, please?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I seriously doubt there will ever be a quote to that effect. Jack did say the 270, 280 and 284 were for all practical purposes ballistically about the same.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Despite what others say about the .270 being "queer" I still own and use them. wink

Not that theres anything wrong with that��..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe

Not that theres anything wrong with that��..
Does this mean you're finally coming out....

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have read JOC was having a custom .280 built when he died..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
He did,IIRC it was a Ruger M77 .280. Al Beisen was working on it when O'Connor died.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He did,IIRC it was a Ruger M77 .280. Al Beisen was working on it when O'Connor died.

The thought of hunting with that is probably what killed him.
RIP.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No doubt JOC was getting pretty well paid to advertise for winchester. The 270 for all practical purposes broke all the rules in that there were no real 27 cal no military endorsement. The 280 really makes more sense and should have been an easy sale and has struggled for years no doubt because of the foot hold of the 270
Ill bet the real reason they are showing up of late is their owners are dying off and this younger generation are all over the short mag.. I had a guy at work sell me his grandfathers win 71 in favor of a tuppaware 300 wsm

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I doubt Winchester paid JOC a dime....he was a relative unknown when he bought his first 270 (M54),and started writing about the cartridge.He really did not become a factor in its popularity until a good many years later.

In the context of the time, the 270 may have made more sense.

If you neck a 30/06 case to 7mm you essentially have a 7x64 Brenneke, a cartridge that had been in existence for 12-15 years before the 270 came out.Winchester wanted a lighter bullet,lower recoiling,and higher velocity offering for the M54 than the 30/06, but still compatible with the M54 receiver. Chambering for another 7mm just like the 7x64 would not fill the bill from a marketing standpoint and made no sense if you wanted a proprietary cartridge for a new rifle.

And why offer another cartridge, the bullets for which were very close to what was offered in the 30/06 and offered no advantage over either one? Besides, the M54 got chambered for the 7x57 as well.

I think Winchester guessed right....the 270 Winchester was likely the most popular bolt action cartridge with non military origins of the 20th century.It still has not blinked in popularity except among target shooters.Hunters still buy it in droves.

Unlike the cartridges having military origins and rifles and ammo subsidized by the American taxpayer, the 270 earned its spurs in the game fields and in the rough and tumble of the capitalist system. If it did not work, it simply would not have survived. Period.

I think the OP is reading too much into seeing a lot of 270's on the used gun rack; they have always been "common" because the cartridge is enormously popular,like Mule Deer said.I see as many 30/06's on the used racks. Even today,the cartridge continually ranks in the top ten in ammo sales and die sales and rifle sales.....to the chagrin of many 280 owners.What's funny is that I never see many CF pets on the racks nor in the hunting fields....I see plenty of 270's in both places. smile

I won't comment on the wisdom of the younger generation. They helped give us Barrack Obama.This throws their judgement on any subject into question. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The .270Win. just makes sense for 99% of North American big game. After we have so many flings with "new & improved" cartridges many realize they didn't provide any real benefit. So we go back to what worked all along, is widely available and has tolerable recoil.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I doubt Winchester paid JOC a dime....he was a relative unknown when he bought his first 270 (M54),and started writing about the cartridge.He really did not become a factor in its popularity until a good many years later.

If you neck a 30/06 case to 7mm you essentially have a 7x64 Brenneke, a cartridge that had been in existence for 12-15 years before the 270 came out.Winchester wanted a lighter bullet,lower recoiling,and higher velocity offering for the M54 than the 30/06, but still compatible with the M54 receiver. Chambering for another 7mm just like the 7x64 would not fill the bill from a marketing standpoint and made no sense if you wanted a proprietary cartridge for a new rifle.

And why offer another cartridge, the bullets for which were very close to what was offered in the 30/06 and offered no advantage over either one? Besides, the M54 got chambered for the 7x57 as well.

I think Winchester guessed right....the 270 Winchester was likely the most popular bolt action cartridge with non military origins of the 20th century.It still has not blinked in popularity except among target shooters.Hunters still buy it in droves.

Unlike the cartridges having military origins and rifles and ammo subsidized by the American taxpayer, the 270 earned its spurs in the game fields and in the rough and tumble of the capitalist system. If it did not work, it simply would not have survived. Period.

I think the OP is reading too much into seeing a lot of 270's on the used gun rack; they have always been "common" because the cartridge is enormously popular,like Mule Deer said.I see as many 30/06's on the used racks. Even today,the cartridge continually ranks in the top ten in ammo sales and die sales and rifle sales.....to the chagrin of many 280 owners.What's funny is that I never see many CF pets on the racks nor in the hunting fields....I see plenty of 270's in both places. smile

I won't comment on the wisdom of the younger generation. They helped give us Barrack Obama.This throws their judgement on any subject into question. smile

+1 Excellent post.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kitch

+1 Excellent post.

Indeed. Especially the line about Barry the Fibber

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great analysis and very well written!

I've made many a .270 convert by simple loaning mine out for a while.

Easy recoil, flat shooting, kills well because it's easy to hit with, ammo is inexpensive and sold everywhere. What's NOT to like??

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think seeing so many .270's on the rack is just a cycle.. I love to check out used gunshops... Sometimes they are loaded with 7mm mags.. Other times you can't pick up one to save your life.. I don't often look for used .270's, but there always seem to be a few on the racks.. Of course what I see most on the racks no matter where I check is 06's..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I agree with much of this about the .270, in particular, the speculation that Winchester wanted something different from a marketing standpoint that would shoot lighter weight bullets at higher velocities. I think this line of thought is illustrated by the choice of a 1:10 twist. Also another speculation, if you are going with 1:10 twist for lighter bullets, don't go with an existing caliber for which heavier bullets are made that won't stabilize in your new cartridge (i.e .284) so go with a non-standard caliber.

Regardless of why they did it, it is a great cartridge that has only gotten better since 1925.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.