Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
I heard that Boddington killed a buffalo with a 300 gr. Game king�

And that Anna Nicole married for love�..

Didn't she? I'm SO naive...but he did kill an eland with it!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
105 Amax blew up on a deer shoulder with no penetration to vitals at ~150 yards, fired from 6mm Remington.

Local friend had a similar thing happen with 162 Amax fired from a 280 on a deer. No penetration to vitals.

Several others on the 'Fire have noted failures to penetrate from Amaxs as well.

Too many good game bullets out there to deal with a maybe bullet for hunting. I'll sure use 'em for other stuff, but not big game.

Billy,

I'm glad you relayed your findings. I haven't had any bullet failures, but haven't killed that many animals. I know of 3 bullet failures in the past year and none were match bullets.

My co-worker shot a doe last year with a 140gr NAB from a 7RM. Knocked it to the ground. When he went to recover the deer, it jumped up and ran. Scared the crap out of him as he thought it was dead shocked . Luckily he was able to shoot it as it was running away. First shot blew-up like you described with no penetration to vitals.

His dad had the same experience with an antelope last year. Same 140gr Accubond, same rifle. Maybe a bad batch from Nosler? They are huge fans of the SST, go figure! You can't give them any amount of Accubonds now.

Also last year, my buddy shot a moose with a 150gr Scirocco (factory Rem Premier). He said the bull went down under a tree and just laid there. Buddy thought it was going to die when his daughter said, "It's getting away!". Dropped it with his 7RM. The first bullet hit bone and then veered off at an extreme angle not hitting anything vital. Basically stunned the bull, like the doe in the first example. Now you can't give him any amount of premium/bonded bullets. He's going back to Core-Lokts and will probably never change.

All the shots above were broadside at relatively close range (no longrange shots).

I suspect that weird things can happen when little metal projectiles are moving really fast.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/15/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So are we all in agreement the OP needs to go 270 in a 70 with 130 GKs unless he wants to kill rocks with a 375 and Hornadys grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Almost,for jackrabbits he needs .375" 300 gr Nosler Partitions. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Glad its settled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Glad its settled.

I think a wise man once postulated "Blessed are the peace-makers"......

Ya' done good young'un.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How can you wankers settle anything without me being here?

Is this some kind of a coup?

Last edited by ingwe; 07/15/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

You mean that MagMarc made a declaration without your proxy???

GWB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The bastid!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cup of what?

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cup-o-soup��.you know�.coup�.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Glad its settled.
Me too. Been stressed out about all this so much,I had to take a nap. laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I left to load few and and Ingwe shows up all offended laugh
270 in 70 with 130GKs whistle

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Well at least you didn't load up Hornady's.... wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That was for the OP, I'm slinging some Hornadys wink

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Doin' that in the Springfield 1903 .30-06. Using a Hornady 220 gr RN. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
280 and 162s for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 Win with 150g SSTs doing MV around 2970fps has worked real good for me on a hundred or so feral pigs, some goats and sundry others including one solitary fallow buck. I've never had a blowup.

Been using boring old PMC soft points in that rifle for a year now because there were 400 of them virtually being given away at a sporting good store I wandered into. Not sexy but they actually work too.

Sorry if my round count doesn't sound high enough by the way.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
BN17,

Don't the water in toilet bowls swirl clockwise below the equator?
Perhaps your location in regards to the earth's axis has an effect on the way SST's impact, and make's em fly flat out like a lizard drinkin', there "down under"

Best,

GWB

PS: one of my fav's.....

A quite rich Englishman and his wife are touring Australia in a hired limousine. The wife happens to look out the window and sees an Aussie doing something with a kangaroo. She asks her husband:" Dear,is that man doing something indecent with that animal?"

The Englishman looks and is appalled. He tells his wife to look away. He also tells her that he will register a stern complaint with the 5 star hotel they are registered at.

They arrive at the hotel. As they get out of the limousine, they both see a one legged man wanking off on the steps. The English couple are now truly appalled.

The Englishman storms to the hotel desk and says:" This is truly an awful country. My wife and I just saw a man performing sex with a kangaroo -and now we see a one legged man masturbating on the steps of your hotel! What do you have to say about this?"

The Aussie desk clerk says: " "Well, mate, you can't expect a one legged man to get his own kangaroo, can you?"

Last edited by geedubya; 07/15/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point

My co-worker shot a doe last year with a 140gr NAB from a 7RM. Knocked it to the ground. When he went to recover the deer, it jumped up and ran. Scared the crap out of him as he thought it was dead shocked . Luckily he was able to shoot it as it was running away. First shot blew-up like you described with no penetration to vitals.

His dad had the same experience with an antelope last year. Same 140gr Accubond, same rifle. Maybe a bad batch from Nosler? They are huge fans of the SST, go figure! You can't give them any amount of Accubonds now.

Also last year, my buddy shot a moose with a 150gr Scirocco (factory Rem Premier). He said the bull went down under a tree and just laid there. Buddy thought it was going to die when his daughter said, "It's getting away!". Dropped it with his 7RM. The first bullet hit bone and then veered off at an extreme angle not hitting anything vital. Basically stunned the bull, like the doe in the first example. Now you can't give him any amount of premium/bonded bullets. He's going back to Core-Lokts and will probably never change.

All the shots above were broadside at relatively close range (no longrange shots).

I suspect that weird things can happen when little metal projectiles are moving really fast.

You're nipping at the crux of the problem. Folks get so enamored of LR performance they forget what happens when more fragile,lighter jacketed bullets impact heavy game(and sometimes light game)) at magnum velocity.Then they blame the bullet when it was the application that was wrong.

The 140 AB that does well at 300+ yards from a 7mm magnum may not do so good at close range where velocity is high....pretty certain a 160 AB would have done much better.

In the 7mm Rem Mag, and dealing with a bull moose at close range(any range for that matter) a 150 SS II would not make my short list.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/15/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (007FJ, 44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 9 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.