Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just got through at the range earlier, and while doing a baseline accuracy group with Federal 168gr GMM for my .308 at 100yds, I decided to shoot 5 instead of my normal 3-rd test. After my first three, I was excited as there was really only one hole to be seen in the target. So that's when I pushed it to five rounds. Well, the 4th opened the group from what would have been .291" to 1.23", and the 5th @ 1.31. If I had stopped at 3, this would have been an all time best 3-rd group for me.

So, when it comes to strictly hunting rifles, does it really matter that 5rd groups don't hold together the way 3-rd ones do?

Last edited by John_in_MS; 07/17/14.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep a record of where the first shot hits from my hunting rifle's cold barrel.

Then I usually fire a second shot to confirm a 'group'. That's all I need for hunting.

Of course not every rifle is that good without some work.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Gotta say, in this A-Bolt, my "cold-bore" shot is pretty much indistinguishable from all the rest, and don't even discount it anymore. In fact, the .291" group mentioned earlier included my cold bore shot and was the first three shots on the 2nd string of this session after an hour long cool down. Outside temp was 75�, cloudy & calm.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always heard 3 shot test load and 5 shot test shooter. Lots of stuff can come into play. Your natural point of aim could have moved, different grip or cheek weld, trigger pull, breathing, etc... Have to be consistent.

I seem to get a mental thing after seeing one hole after 3 shots. I get excited, then it seems to go down hill from there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is what I shoot for with my hunting rifles:

Consistent sub MOA 3 shot groups.
Consistent 1 MOA 5 shot groups.
Consistent 1.5 MOA 10 shot groups.

If I have a rifle that can't hold this type of accuracy, I send it down the road..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
does it really matter that 5rd groups don't hold together the way 3-rd ones do?
Depends on what you're shooting it for. If I want to compare different loads for the purpose of choosing a load to shoot all the time and change the scope setting for the winner, I will shoot 5 shot groups at different distance targets. five shots has a way of bringing out the real average.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I prefer 4 rd groups just be different and to keep guys searching for that 5th hole in my group.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
3 shots will tell you something about accuracy - 5 shots tells you something about barrel-heating,/channel fit stability.

The answer to your question is "no" under normal/average hunting conditions and ranges. With what you said John, I just would not worry about it as a hunting rifle. The 5 shot group is a perfectly good group for the overwhelming majority of hunting situations within reasonable ranges to 300 yards. If you are anal (OK- I am, a bit... ), glass bed the thing at least around the recoil lug area. Probably free-float the barrel. This may not improve the 3 shot accuracy, may even expand them a bit, but will most likely stabilize larger shot strings.

I'd be more worried about it's stability under hostile conditions. It seems to have some heating/pressure point issues, which may translate into problems in wet conditions/wood swelling if it has a wood stock. If synthetic, forget about it.

Here is what I did in a similar situation. 20 years later, and now a fair number of game animals later with the rifle, I'm not sorry I did.

I bought a used factory standard (wood stocked) Ruger 77 tang safety model in 30-06 for $80 which had been badly abused, stored in a wet basement. The stock was peeling, the exterior was rusted. I figured the stock and receiver at least were salvageable for a knock-about "boat gun". I couldn't even see down the bore, so figured the bbl was a total loss. I totally missed the bulge at the muzzle until several weeks later when I had a chance to work with it at more leisure, but once the bore was cleaned, that didn't look half-bad. What kind of accuracy does one need at 30 yards or less anyway?

I whacked that thing off to 17 inches, and it shot 3 shots into a cloverleaf, but 5 shots into 5 inches at 100 yards. Obviously some pressure point heating problems in the stock channel. It also badly strung 14 inches vertical different bullet weights from 150 to 200 grain loads at 100 yards. A function of fore-end-tip pressure. (Much like a similar model in .338 WM I'd bought a couple years earlier).

So I took it hunting and killed a Dall ram at about 330 yards with 2 shots, both lethal, and 4 days later a medium moose at 70 yards - also 2 shots - moose take awhile to die.... but never used that ammo again, tho, based on it's terminal performance at both ranges.. After thinking about it for a year, I decided stability was more important, so glass-bedded the entire receiver area/trigger-guard/pillar bedded receiver screws and 3 inches of bbl forward of the recoil lug. Free-floated the barrel. It now shoots virtually all loads into an inch and a half at 100 yards, (allowance for bullet weights). Verticle stinging at longer ranges increases with bullet weight, as expected.

With any particular load, however, none go over 1.25 inches at 100, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, or 10 rounds. Wet stock or dry. I like the stability, over the initial 3 round group/5 into 5", especially here in Alaska with often extreme conditions and wetting of wood stocks, which stock this has. Despite the short bbl, I have confidence in its accuracy under all conditions now to 400 yards.. All I have to know is range and ballistic drop at same. I've killed to 356 known yards with it. It's name is "Stub". It's two most recent kills were somewhat in excess of that, judging by holdover to accomplish the deed, after an initial miss, and at about 20 degrees F, on caribou out on sea ice.

Nothing against the Stub, but I'm now using for these tundra caribou either a Rem 725 .260 with, featherweight barrel (but 1'" groups at 200, but I need a REALLY good rest!), or a 27" heavy barreled Mauser 98 in '06. I'll push both to 500 with confidence, as both shoot sub 2" groups at 200 yards, and are zeroed for 300.

Hope these experiences of mine help. Personally, I'd glass bed the receiver and floor plate assembly in absolutely flat in the stock (most factory rifles are not), and free-float the barrel, mostly to ensure stability under all conditions, - but that's just me.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by strosfann
I prefer 4 rd groups just be different and to keep guys searching for that 5th hole in my group.

4 shot groups work great for magnum rifles that hold 3 in the box and 1 in the chamber:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by trailrider121
I always heard 3 shot test load and 5 shot test shooter. Lots of stuff can come into play. Your natural point of aim could have moved, different grip or cheek weld, trigger pull, breathing, etc... Have to be consistent.

I seem to get a mental thing after seeing one hole after 3 shots. I get excited, then it seems to go down hill from there.

Yeah, that's me in a nut shell. Never really had a reason to shoot 5-shot strings, until the .308. I'll just need to get used to shooting 5 instead of just three.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah- you can tell if your iron parts are flat in the stock (most are not) this way:

Tighten the front receiver screw down, then the rear. If either goes more than a half turn (a quarter is better), you are torquing (bending) the receiver to fit the stock. Needs glass-bedding. Preferably with pillar or column bedding around the receiver screws. Pillar bedding uses metal sheathes around the receiver screws, column bedding uses epoxy. Either is effective.

Clearance around the receiver screws is mandatory. You DO NOT want the screw acting as recoil lugs! They are only to hold the upper parts down tight to the lower parts.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Shoot multiple three shot groups on the same target using the same point of aim, overlapping the groups. What you will find is that your five shot group isn't lying.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
It isn't about only getting 3 shots at an animal, or "cold bore", or barrel heating or any other oft toyed nonsense. It's about statistical probability and it's broken down into two parts- load work up and zeroing.

If working up a load 3 shots (or even) two can show that a load sucks, but it won't show that it's good. If I fire 3 rounds and the group is 2 inches, firing more won't make it better. However, if I fire 3 rounds and they are .5 inches apart that does not mean that the load is good. The reason being that 3 shots will not realistically show us where any one round will land from that load. All we see here and hear about is the people with their gun that lucked into a couple of rounds close together one time and now they have a "sub MOA all day long" rifle always followed with the excuse of "if I do my part".

If you don't believe this than fire five 3 shot groups at the same exact target. Of course then people wouldn't have that ".5moa" group anymore, which is why the "3 shots is all you'll get hunting", "cold bore", and "barrel heating" BS comes from and why it's still around.

There are lots of ways that people develope loads (start at the start might be one... hint) however since the whole point of it is to hit things with the bullet, we want to know what size target the gun will mechanically hit EVERYTIME. To know that, more than 3 shots are required. I personally don't talk about precision until we start talking 10 shots groups. If you just absolutely can't stomach the thought of firing ten whole rounds than three groups of 5 shots, or 5 groups of three shots all fired on the same target with ALL shots counting will show a good idea of true group size.

With zeroing again 3 generally aren't enough. Lets say that you have a gun that consistently (that means every time) prints 10 round groups under the magical .5 MOA than you can get away with using less rounds to zero because of group size- ie the farthest round away from center is .25 of an inch and you are within the adjustment increment of most scopes. The amount of non competition rifles that are that precise is staggeringly tiny.

To see a true POA/POI zero (point of aim/ point of impact) than the same issues of "group" shooting as above are present. All guns fire in a "cone". What we call a "group". 3 rounds will not show us the center of the cone or group. Doing the multiple "groups" on one target will show that. If you mark the shots between each 3 rounds, you will see the "groups" shifting in the cone.

As an example- lets say we have a rifle that when fired from a vice every round fired for the life of the barrel lands inside a 1 inch circle. Now truly this would be an extremely precise rifle and load to have not one round to land outside of the 1in dot, but it is the proverbial "1 MOA all day long" that is spouted so much. With that there is no way to "know" or guess where any one round will land inside the circle. The first could be dead center, the next high left, the next low left, the next straight at the top, the next just right, the next top right, etc, etc.

Granted to shoot a deer over a field at 200 yards this is more than is needed, however it's rediculous to talk about accuracy (really precision) and show a "group" of a couple rounds that are nowhere near zeroed and act like that is the "accuracy" of the gun.

I can't see saying that a gun is a .5 MOA at 100 yards accurate, if it won't hit a .5 MOA dot with every round every time it's fired.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^ This.

I don't think that three shots is going to statistically give a reliable indicator of where subsequent shots are going to go. I've shot groups that had two in one hole and one a little out or a great three shot group followed by a not so great next group or two great three shot groups but with a slightly different point of impact. The epiphany came when I stacked the targets, aligning the POI and holding up to the light to see how things ironed out. Guess what� Those fliers aren't fliers at all but rather part of the group.

Nowadays I want at least 10 shots so it will give me a somewhat meaningful indicator of where my next shot is likely to go. I know barrel heat can have an effect, so I don't normally just rattle off 10 shots, but, barrel weight dependent, break down the ten shot group, letting the barrel cool between each sub-group. For light barrels, I'll do a 3 shot group, let the barrel cool and shoot another at the same target, same point of aim, repeat as necessary until I have a ten shot group. Heck, you could let the barrel cool after every shot if you wanted, the point being to put enough shots in the group so you have a reasonable indicator of where the next one will go.

If folks will do this, they will see fliers aren't fliers and can't be discounted and slightly different point of impact between the three shot groups they are used to shooting ain't always due to conditions, but rather part of the normal dispersion that rifle will shoot with that load.

Gonna be a lot of naysayers about this method� All I can say is that folks oughta just try it before passing judgement�.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In a pure hunting rifle, all I care about is what it will do the first two or three shots every time, day after day.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What John said, then move the groups to 300 yards and you'll know what you really have.

Regarding the conditions effect on 100 yard groups, its not nearly as significant as one would sometimes like to think (barring extremes). When I have a rifle that is acting up and I want to believe its the conditions, I shoot what I call my "tester" (very consistent and accurate rifle). Every single time its proven that it aint the conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always use 3 shot groups. However I take the average of 4 or 5 3 shot groups.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
In a pure hunting rifle, all I care about is what it will do the first two or three shots every time, day after day.

I agree. But where most fail is testing to see what it will do every time day after day. Based on my experience I have never had the "cold bore accuracy" and NOT had consistency throughout.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
It isn't about only getting 3 shots at an animal, or "cold bore", or barrel heating or any other oft toyed nonsense. It's about statistical probability and it's broken down into two parts- load work up and zeroing.

If working up a load 3 shots (or even) two can show that a load sucks, but it won't show that it's good. If I fire 3 rounds and the group is 2 inches, firing more won't make it better. However, if I fire 3 rounds and they are .5 inches apart that does not mean that the load is good. The reason being that 3 shots will not realistically show us where any one round will land from that load. All we see here and hear about is the people with their gun that lucked into a couple of rounds close together one time and now they have a "sub MOA all day long" rifle always followed with the excuse of "if I do my part".

If you don't believe this than fire five 3 shot groups at the same exact target. Of course then people wouldn't have that ".5moa" group anymore, which is why the "3 shots is all you'll get hunting", "cold bore", and "barrel heating" BS comes from and why it's still around.

There are lots of ways that people develope loads (start at the start might be one... hint) however since the whole point of it is to hit things with the bullet, we want to know what size target the gun will mechanically hit EVERYTIME. To know that, more than 3 shots are required. I personally don't talk about precision until we start talking 10 shots groups. If you just absolutely can't stomach the thought of firing ten whole rounds than three groups of 5 shots, or 5 groups of three shots all fired on the same target with ALL shots counting will show a good idea of true group size.

With zeroing again 3 generally aren't enough. Lets say that you have a gun that consistently (that means every time) prints 10 round groups under the magical .5 MOA than you can get away with using less rounds to zero because of group size- ie the farthest round away from center is .25 of an inch and you are within the adjustment increment of most scopes. The amount of non competition rifles that are that precise is staggeringly tiny.

To see a true POA/POI zero (point of aim/ point of impact) than the same issues of "group" shooting as above are present. All guns fire in a "cone". What we call a "group". 3 rounds will not show us the center of the cone or group. Doing the multiple "groups" on one target will show that. If you mark the shots between each 3 rounds, you will see the "groups" shifting in the cone.

As an example- lets say we have a rifle that when fired from a vice every round fired for the life of the barrel lands inside a 1 inch circle. Now truly this would be an extremely precise rifle and load to have not one round to land outside of the 1in dot, but it is the proverbial "1 MOA all day long" that is spouted so much. With that there is no way to "know" or guess where any one round will land inside the circle. The first could be dead center, the next high left, the next low left, the next straight at the top, the next just right, the next top right, etc, etc.

Granted to shoot a deer over a field at 200 yards this is more than is needed, however it's rediculous to talk about accuracy (really precision) and show a "group" of a couple rounds that are nowhere near zeroed and act like that is the "accuracy" of the gun.

I can't see saying that a gun is a .5 MOA at 100 yards accurate, if it won't hit a .5 MOA dot with every round every time it's fired.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
^^^ This.

I don't think that three shots is going to statistically give a reliable indicator of where subsequent shots are going to go. I've shot groups that had two in one hole and one a little out or a great three shot group followed by a not so great next group or two great three shot groups but with a slightly different point of impact. The epiphany came when I stacked the targets, aligning the POI and holding up to the light to see how things ironed out. Guess what� Those fliers aren't fliers at all but rather part of the group.

Nowadays I want at least 10 shots so it will give me a somewhat meaningful indicator of where my next shot is likely to go. I know barrel heat can have an effect, so I don't normally just rattle off 10 shots, but, barrel weight dependent, break down the ten shot group, letting the barrel cool between each sub-group. For light barrels, I'll do a 3 shot group, let the barrel cool and shoot another at the same target, same point of aim, repeat as necessary until I have a ten shot group. Heck, you could let the barrel cool after every shot if you wanted, the point being to put enough shots in the group so you have a reasonable indicator of where the next one will go.

If folks will do this, they will see fliers aren't fliers and can't be discounted and slightly different point of impact between the three shot groups they are used to shooting ain't always due to conditions, but rather part of the normal dispersion that rifle will shoot with that load.

Gonna be a lot of naysayers about this method� All I can say is that folks oughta just try it before passing judgement�.

John

These guys are right on.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Me too. Five different 3 shot groups over a period of several range trips tell me just as much three groups of 5 shots.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 9 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.