Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Update: Port Jervis, NY. 12:20pm Texas time, maybe three miles from my first objective.

OMG I got whupped yesterday. I had envisioned an idyllic cruise along the beautiful Delaware. And indeed there are such stretches, but I wouldn't encounter the first for another seven hours after leaving the diner in Hancock.

Given enough mechnical advantage (ie. small enough granny gear) hills should be no problem, just slow. I am running a 22 tooth granny in front in combination with a 34 tooth big sprocket in back. Turns out there's a reason why contemporary touring bikes come geared lower than that. Anytime you are gasping and sweating on a bike tour you are doing it wrong, but that is what I found myself doing time and time again over a relentless series of roller-coaster hills. Once in a while the road would swoop down to near river level only to follow with a grinding climb back up again, most of the time the river far off downhill to the right.

A bright spot was the discovery of the 1850's era bar and hotel in Long Eddy NY. I'll expound more on it later but all I can say is that if I was a retired alcoholic of means I would just move there and stay at the hotel in a room over the bar grin

Rolled into Narrowsburg NY at 5pm Texas time, whupped. So tired I was worried that a big enough pothole or frost heave could bounce the bar right out of my hands and cause me to wreck. Just thirty miles from where I was headed that was it for the day.

Fortunately there's a campsite there on the river, with tremendous showers; as per usual my first in three days.

Rolled out about 7am Texas time, still whupped, rode in slow and gentle mode. Actually, this is "just average" touring conditions here in the NE, you make less miles in a day is all. Stopped off for a leisurely breakfast along the way, finally that beautiful ride along the river I remembered so well.

Along the way an attractive older lady called Helga pulled her Mercedes over to talk. We had a lengthy and interesting conversation in a sort of roadside park set up for eagle observation. Helga divides her time between NY State and the Bahamas and she had seen me the previous day riding down the highway and was curious about me and my purpose.

Anyways, if there's a victory photo to be had here it is, taken for me about an hour ago by a nice retired couple up on the Hawks Nest, a famous overlook on the Delaware, the climb there being the very last �real� hill of the trip cool

[Linked Image]

OK, one month and four days later, somewhere around 2,000 miles from my own front door (I'll figure out mileage later) I'm off to spring the first surprise on my unsuspecting cousin just across the river in Matamoras grin

Once I get into this family stuff up here I become pretty busy, but sooner or later I'll get back on here and catch up on pics, of which there are many.

Thanks to all for your interest and support cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the update, Mike. I've been watching for it all day, wondering whether you made your nephew's house yesterday or not.

Congratulations on your journey. Like Mickey, I'm just a bit envious of your adventure wink , but very happy for you. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You 'da man, Birdy!

Congratulations!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way to go, Mike!!SALUD!!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
YAY!!

Well done, birdy!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome birdie!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You sir are STUD. Well done, well done sir!

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From one biker to another...

It will be interesting to see what your chain wear/stretch is after you torquing on it for 2000 miles.

Gonna be a great story for the future...

Can just see Birdie years from now sitting at a campfire with grandchildren,his and "adopted", saying... "Let me tell ya about the time..."

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Simply an amazing journey, Mike!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike text earlier, said his cousin was wondering where the car was.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Simply an amazing journey, Mike!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Yep. Really enjoyed it every day. Gives hope & inspiration to us old fat middle aged fellows wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding! congrats!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go, Mike! Heartiest congratulations!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had fun keeping up with your journey and updating my wife (she asked almost every day after I told her about your thread). Glad you made it safe. It's something a lot of us dream of doing but don't have the intestinal fortitude to do it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats Mike. Best thread on the internet. Congratulations on an amazing journey.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mike, congrats on reaching your destination.
By far the best thread of the summer, which got be to thinking ...... what am I going to do before I go to bed at night now. I think the only think for you to do after your family obligations are fulfilled is turn around and ride to Northern Dave's house and have him rebuild your bike.
That way we get another travel log plus a restoration thread that should take us up to the start of school.
This will kill two birds with one stone. We can ween ourselves slowly off your summer adventure and Dave can break in his new shop .... plus you can drink his beer!
Feel free to take 72 hours off before starting your new trek smile.

Greg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mike,

I say, if you dont have any pressing needs at home, and have the money and time, you take the train to the coast and get some prime seafood to celebrate your triumph of will.

Whens the next time youll make it up to that part of the country?

Finish in style, Iron Man.

Maybe Helga will take you to the Bahamas! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Last edited by WillARights; 07/22/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one heck of a feather to put into that cap of yours.

I'm proud to be able to say that I know of a man who rode a bicycle from Texas to Upstate NY.

Adventure draws us in and we all hunger for it. I'm so grateful that you were kind enough to share yours with us.

Thank you, sir and congratulations.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10gaugemag, akrange, 13 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,939
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.