Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Will do, thanks.

The Susquehanna Valley really is a sort of choke point for pathways into the old Six Nations Country, even today, leaving Bill's for the next two days my path took me close to the present Rt17/Interstate corridor.

[Linked Image]

Just west of Corning, Painted Post, named after an original 8ft painted wooden post along the route, painted with symbols and apparently a warning or boundary marker of some kind. Whatever it was it was distinctive enough to name a town after it years after the fact, and even today celebrate it with a statue...

[Linked Image]

Further west, the Forbidden Path into Iroquioia was literally that; a road that it was literally death for uninvited intruders to tread (prob'ly I coulda picked a better angle for this shot)....

[Linked Image]

http://www.alleganyhistory.org/plac...rticles/1197-before-there-was-an-andover

The trail stretched from Tioga, Pennsylvania which is east of Elmira, to the west towards Salamanca into Pennsylvania, by route of the Allegheny River. It zigzagged with the lay of the land, along the border between New York and Pennsylvania. On penalty of death, any enemy Indian, or white settler was forbidden the use of this trail by the powerful Iroquois Nation. If caught, they were to be burnt to death. If an Indian accompanied a white settler, then they both were to be burnt.

A simplification of course, but correct in the gist. The Sullivan Expedition would find a number of outsiders living peacefully on Iroquois lands, including a village of Scottish Highlanders. By the Rev. War the Iroquois were a shell of their former selves, having been whittled away by repeated epidemics, but their reputation still precedeed them, and Iroquioia remained remarkably undisturbed by uninvited settlement clear through the Rev. War.

A couple of historical markers along the way: This one possibly true specific to Big Flats, but more'n a few Iroquois were living in log and sawn timber houses by the 1760's, complete with nearby orchards....

[Linked Image]

...and another a ways down the road. I liked this one because it tells the sort of thing that was likely true most of the time, for both sides. Had to be, for so much technological exchange to quietly occur over the years....

[Linked Image]

So anyways, 1779, the League has finally broken, the Oneidas siding with the Americans (which would benefit them little after the war), the council fire at Onondaga kicked out, and George Washington ordered an expedition to clear the hostile Iroquois from the colonies' collective back.

More....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Sullivan Expedition and the Battle of Newtown marked the end of an era, a blow from which the Six Nations would never recover, even though but few were actually killed by Sullivan's men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Newtown

The real significance for me being that all the Iroquois could muster to meet this threat was around 900 warriors, there simply weren't that many Iroquois still around in 1779, not relative to the enormous territory they claimed. By comparison the 3,000 plus Americans in Sullivan's Army represented just a small fraction of the total manpower of the United States, even that early.

Worse, Joseph Brant, though an eminently capable combat leader, did not hold a traditional position of authority by Iroquois standards, and he was a Mohawk, who were by then quite different from the more numerous and remote Seneca who IIRC were te majority of the assembled force. Add a third commander to the mix (the infamous Butler) and maybe an explanation emerges for the poor tactics on the Indian/Tory side: Possibly among the finest Spec Ops forces of the day deployed in a largely fixed and defensive role.

Divided leadership might also explain why the 1,000 plus man Indian/Tory force didn't follow up by harrying and bloodying the Sullivan Expedition repeatedly along the line of march. Or else who knows? Maybe hindsight is 20/20; most Iroquois cleared out of the way of the crop and town burners and few lives were lost directly. Perhaps the terminal consequences of the Sullivan Expedition were not appreciated by either side at the time. This from a marker close to the battlefield:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyways, I didn't feel like taking the time and effort to ride up the mountain to the present Battle of Newtown commemorative site, but I did take this pic up there a few years back.

[Linked Image]

And from below, along the course of Sullivan's route, the best view I could get of the American perspective of the hillside where the Indians and Tories waited. They were flanked out by forces sent around to the right of this pic.

[Linked Image]

The Iroquois too would strike back with a vengeance in the following years, but again too little and too late to affect the course of the war.

More....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On through Binghamton, and bicycle activism at work: �May use full lane�. Ya, good luck with that crazy

[Linked Image]

...gotta love them bike routes, beautiful downtown Binghamton...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...and the little green signs that led me astray...

[Linked Image]

Free at last, over the mountain to the East Branch....

[Linked Image]

..to Windsor NY....

[Linked Image]

The East Branch of the Susquehanna at Windsor, Windsor has gone upscale now and fenced off all public access to the river at this point...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/btripbing7_zps277331c0.jpg[/img]

Windsor was the site of Onoquaga, one of them places of a sort interesting to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onaquaga

By the 1760's Onoquaga was already a sort of polyglot town, composed of assorted Iroquois, Tuscaroras and various refugee Algonquian remnants of Eastern Tribes. A minority of White folks were there too; border riffraff, visiting traders, and at least a couple of missionaries (a good many of the inhabitants of all shades were nominally Christian). A major war trail to the Cherokee Country passed that way too. White settlers from further down the Susquehanna would visit Onoquaga to be treated by Iroquois healers, at least part of whose assets consisted of a sophisticated knowledge of botanical pharmacology. Going there to be treated for chronic ailments might have been the modern equivalent of going to Mexico.

Joseph Brant hisself met his mixed-blood wife there. When the Oneidas split from the League at the onset of the Revolutionary War the community was divided but with IIRC no actual bloodshed resulting. As a base for Joseph Brant and his Indian and Tory raiders Onoquaga was put to the torch by the American side, and never rebuilt by Indians.

Nothing at all above ground remains of the old townsite today.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/btripbing8_zps9b15e39e.jpg[/img]

more...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I may have missed the details for the return trip,

Cycling back home?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Over Tuscarora Mountain to Deposit in the fading light....

[Linked Image]

..and some interesting geology en-route....

[Linked Image]

So how exactly does a very expensive boat like this one end up on flimsy props on Old Rt 17, far away from water?

[Linked Image]

At the top of the long downhill to Deposit....

[Linked Image]

Already posted where I stopped for the night.

Downtown Deposit early in the morning....

[Linked Image]

I seen a bunch of church signs on this trip, and took photos of many, but this one stood out grin

[Linked Image]

First view of the Delaware River Valley....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/btripdep10_zpsa6c92e4b.jpg[/img]

Second view, note the boat w/fly fisherman and oarsman.....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/btripdep16_zpsda52caef.jpg[/img]

IIRC this is called a drift boat, commonly used on the Upper Delaware....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/Bike/btripdep14_zps4ae96e8f.jpg[/img]

more...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, been on this all day and I gotta get up and move around while I still can crazy

I'm currently enjoying the heck out of riding around old familiar haunts, another 50 miles back up to my mom's place tomorrow, ship out the bike on Friday.

Prob'ly I'll work on this again on Monday. Hope the pics ain't getting tedious.

One more, the revised victory portrait, from the Hawk's Nest on the Delaware...

[Linked Image]

Later,

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cycling back home?

Flying, not sure I'd fancy cycling south this time of year, even if I had the time. Even schoolteachers have to go back to work sometime.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pictures tedious? You ARE tired! grin Loving every post, Mike!

I hope your visit with family is everything you hoped for. The journey certainly appears to be.

Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
An incredible journey, by an amazing man ! My daughters and I have enjoyed your writings, your photos, and your adventures along the way. We were/are your Canadian Cheer Squad ! Congratulations ! smile

We look forward to your book !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great stuff, BW.

That is indeed a drift boat. Very common in my AO.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
OK, been on this all day and I gotta get up and move around while I still can crazy

I'm currently enjoying the heck out of riding around old familiar haunts, another 50 miles back up to my mom's place tomorrow, ship out the bike on Friday.

Prob'ly I'll work on this again on Monday. Hope the pics ain't getting tedious.

One more, the revised victory portrait, from the Hawk's Nest on the Delaware...

[Linked Image]

Later,

Birdwatcher

Still cool. Love all the pics, its like being there on the ride, but with a non battered prostate.

...a well worn, but victorious Trooper, and his trusty mount. Eastern Frontier style.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Again, Mike - will you and Mathilde be attending Q?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Sullivan Expedition and the Battle of Newtown marked the end of an era, a blow from which the Six Nations would never recover, even though but few were actually killed by Sullivan's men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Newtown

Funny co-inky-dink. Last week I took some rare documents I inherited to Skinner for an appraisal for their upcoming annual auction. The expert on revolutionary war documents about shat himself when he laid eyes on one of the inspection reports I brought, from 1780. Many of those listed in my document were involved in the Clinton-Sullivan festivities, as well as the successful defense of Ft. Stanwix.

Guy said that if I'd called a week prior, he'd have had my item on Antiques Roadshow in a heartbeat. He'd just arrived back from NM where he did a AR segment. Amazing stuff.

Sorry for the thread drift. Congrats and good on you, Mike.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cycling back home?

Flying, not sure I'd fancy cycling south this time of year,

QUITTER !!

J/K grin

Damn impressive feat sir.
Pictures and commentaries were excellent.
Thanks for sharing this! Great job!!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

So how exactly does a very expensive boat like this one end up on flimsy props on Old Rt 17, far away from water?

[Linked Image]

Divorce.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been following but keeping my trap shut. Saturday I had the pleasure of Mike and his 3 nephews dropping in for a short notice visit grin He asked for some aimimg to get to interesting points North. Aimed them at Ft Edward and the graves of Maj. Duncan Campbell and Jane MacRhea. Damn, his one nephew that I met before got even TALLER(and skinnier). Mike looks good but the callouses on his ass might be showing fo quite some time grin My wife likes Mike,but allowed that I have some mighty weird friends that would go across the USA on a bicycle grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
As for where I stayed, a quick tally; thirteen nights at campgrounds, eight nights in cheap motels, seven nights visiting friends or enjoying the hospitality of strangers, and just five nights in the weeds just off the roadway. If I had it to do over again I'd spend more nights in the weeds, but that takes a few tries to get used to, hence all the motels. Twenty-two showers en-route, a surprise, I didn't think it was that many.

Birdwatcher
I have been thinking about your night in the weeds somewhere around Deposit. The number of ticks around has increased greatly over the past couple of years and there is plenty of Lyme in southern New York. I really hope you didn't pick up any passengers. You might still give a check and see if there are any hiding on ya.
Good God, you'd probably die down here.

[Linked Image]

Ever hear of Lyme? And its effects?

Ticks ain't a problem, getting bitten by the wrong one can be a lifetime of issues.

Just gotta be careful to prevent them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Birdy

Well done my man!!!! I've been away for a hot week at fire school, and had kind of forgotten about all this, IIRC you were home or almost home when I quit reading.

Glad to read that it all finished out just fine!

Congrats!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
As for where I stayed, a quick tally; thirteen nights at campgrounds, eight nights in cheap motels, seven nights visiting friends or enjoying the hospitality of strangers, and just five nights in the weeds just off the roadway. If I had it to do over again I'd spend more nights in the weeds, but that takes a few tries to get used to, hence all the motels. Twenty-two showers en-route, a surprise, I didn't think it was that many.

Birdwatcher
I have been thinking about your night in the weeds somewhere around Deposit. The number of ticks around has increased greatly over the past couple of years and there is plenty of Lyme in southern New York. I really hope you didn't pick up any passengers. You might still give a check and see if there are any hiding on ya.
Good God, you'd probably die down here.

[Linked Image]
Ever hear of Lyme? And its effects?

Ticks ain't a problem, getting bitten by the wrong one can be a lifetime of issues.

Just gotta be careful to prevent them.
Ever hear of common sense? Reality? Obviously not.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mike, I have appreciated your travelogues in the past, but this one pretty much topped them all. It's been fun following your journey.Safe travels back to San Antonio, amigo!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.