Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
And I ain't met a CO hunter yet that didn't own an ATV.

I live here and I don't know a hunter who owns one.

It's all about the crowd you run with.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I knew the area because I knew a couple guys that lived there. I was dialed in to a good area. Apparently, resident elk hunters knew of it, too. One of the spots I was told to try looked like a damned parking lot. Nearly all plates were Colorado with Texas plates not too far behind. I didn't even try.

If you didn't try to hunt you shouldn't complain about how bad the hunting was. I have seen a lot of big animals hit the dirt in areas with lots of hunters

Nice try. I didn't hunt that area. And yes, I can complain. Seeing more hunter orange is justification for complaint.

If I ever tried to hunt CO again, it would be mule deer in a limited draw area on the west side of the state. If you hunt CO, you probably know of the area of which I'm referring. It's pretty darn popular. It is hard hunting, but there are some big mule deer in there.

You have basically just described everything west of I-25

For you, probably, for those who know CO, they know exactly where I men. There are actually two really good units on the western side of the state.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soosy giving elk hunting tips..

This forum has gone in the chitter for sure.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I knew the area because I knew a couple guys that lived there. I was dialed in to a good area. Apparently, resident elk hunters knew of it, too. One of the spots I was told to try looked like a damned parking lot. Nearly all plates were Colorado with Texas plates not too far behind. I didn't even try.

If you didn't try to hunt you shouldn't complain about how bad the hunting was. I have seen a lot of big animals hit the dirt in areas with lots of hunters

Nice try. I didn't hunt that area. And yes, I can complain. Seeing more hunter orange is justification for complaint.

If I ever tried to hunt CO again, it would be mule deer in a limited draw area on the west side of the state. If you hunt CO, you probably know of the area of which I'm referring. It's pretty darn popular. It is hard hunting, but there are some big mule deer in there.

For you, probably, for those who know CO, they know exactly where I men. There are actually two really good units on the western side of the state.

LOL, you are adorable. There are a lot of units in the western half of the state that are highly regarded. Some more than others but the fact of the matter is every unit in Colorado has the potential to kick out a 200" deer.

That being said, PLEASE educate me. You obviously feel that you are "in the know" so I would love to hear what you have to say

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock,

If there are Non Res tags left you can buy them. $416 a copy may not be in the budget but if it is you could still hunt the old stomping ground.

good luck
8mmwapiti

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We can drive a long ways for that kind of money but thanks for mentioning it anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock,

I looked at the ID web site and they are discounting the second tags this year. Deer $199 and Elk $299.

probably not enough of a discount to attract you but I thought that it is worth mentioning.

8mmwapiti

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Unless the 2d chance draw comes up with something good (highly unlikely), we'll probably end up in 36B. It starts only another 20 miles up the road from where we'd be hunting in 36. Its some rough country, though. That area has few roads or trails from the highway, which is along the Salmon River and Yankee Fork, both of which are in the bottom of a canyon. It's a hard climb just to get off the road. The hills in that area are seriously steep. Without my llamas, getting an elk out would be a daunting job.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

LOL, you are adorable. There are a lot of units in the western half of the state that are highly regarded. Some more than others but the fact of the matter is every unit in Colorado has the potential to kick out a 200" deer.

That being said, PLEASE educate me. You obviously feel that you are "in the know" so I would love to hear what you have to say

Then why ain't every unit in Colorado kicking out 200" deer?

Educate me. I love to read what you have to write.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You trying to discuss anything concerning Colorado's hunting with huntsonora is hilarious, much less big mule deer. Save yourself some embarrassment.

Tanner

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
good one, Suze.....

Good to know that you have a sense of humor, a sense that ain't real prevalent around these parts.

One of the best parts of hunting are campfire jokes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Unless the 2d chance draw comes up with something good (highly unlikely), we'll probably end up in 36B. It starts only another 20 miles up the road from where we'd be hunting in 36. Its some rough country, though. That area has few roads or trails from the highway, which is along the Salmon River and Yankee Fork, both of which are in the bottom of a canyon. It's a hard climb just to get off the road. The hills in that area are seriously steep. Without my llamas, getting an elk out would be a daunting job.

Getting elk out of that country WITH livestock can be daunting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
You trying to discuss anything concerning Colorado's hunting with huntsonora is hilarious, much less big mule deer. Save yourself some embarrassment.

Tanner

Why start now?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,286
Posts18,486,887
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.