Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Pretty sure the OP isn't 80.

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.

This is why I hate the ATV....and the guy who can see you set up with the wind in your face but tramps in from the other side to cut you off......all that does is [bleep] us both

BTW.....Road hunters suck too

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have taken two atvs with carbs to Colorado hunting in the last five years. Kawasaki 360 and a Yamaha 400 both ran fine with no rejet at 9000 ft to 9800. I must be lucky. Blew a little oil out the crankcase and rear ends but other than that worked great.

No... I did not take them off the trails just parked them beside the road and walked in. Be sure and mark a waypoint when you park or you might spend a couple of hours trying to find your Atv. don,t ask me how I know!!!!!

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 07/26/14.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Huntsman 22, sounds like u like ATV's about as well as I like the dogs people use for deer hunting here in Bama. I don't think it's ever helped my bowhunting efforts.

Thanks for the camping offer, I might take u up on it if you are serious. Thx, RH

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Colorado does allow you to drive 100 yards off trail to retrieve game.

I took my unjetted Kawasaki 650 up there in '09 to around 7000 feet and was thankful for every cc. It felt like I was driving a 500.

Last I checked they don't close public land to other forums of recreation during hunting seasons. I say, as long as you follow the rules, run them trails to your harts content. If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

7k feet........TFF

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RH, I think you took me all wrong. I like ATV's. It is the guys that misuse them that I dislike. I thought I made that clear. I was serious about the offer to stop by. Heck, just this week, 2 other 'fire members have come to the ranch.....

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by kend
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.

This...

The horse and pack in crowd will get old and crippled someday. I hope they remember their intolerance for those who are now.

I hunt with a good friend from Helena who has had 11 back surgeries, just to keep him walking now. He was strong as an ox and tough as nails before his back injury.

We use 2 ATVs to hunt in more limited ways than the horsey riders. Without the ATV, my friend would be shut out of the sport he has loved for 50 of his 58 years, and he can't ride a horse. We don't go off trail or roads, but we use the machines to whatever advantage we can to gain elevation. One gets parked where we plan to come out at the bottom, and one takes us as high as roads or trails allow, then we ease down the mountain and hunt it out as much as possible. I used mine on my antelope hunt last year. I stopped at the end of an ATV trail where no truck would make it, then I walked 5 miles on out to the antelope spot, shot one, dressed it out to pack, and carried it 5 miles back. It was darned hard to do with a previously broken back, and I couldn't do it again anymore.

So, bristle and bellyache all you want about ATVs. I sure join you when I see them off roads and trails, but they have their place.

All you younger mountain men will eventually get to a point where a little help is necessary...or just choose to give it up.

You kind of described me, use to run with the big dogs up and down mts. Now being in my late 60's, bad back where it hurts sometimes to walk across a parking lot, bad leg, and my buddies are in the same condition due to all kinds of reasons, vietnam, acidents and so on. We use A.T.V.'s. My brother in laws are in their 70's and have hunted up by meeker for probably 30 years.
those atv's are a heck of a lot better in the mud/conditions around where they go just to get around. Typically they drive up some place on a road, park it, then take off a ways. But they are a lifesaver. By the way, they have horses to, but don't haul them up there. Not everybody can support a hayburner year round.
my buddy has had a quadruple bypass, diabetes, neuropathy, and other issues. In his 70's and still likes to hunt. He remembers his early days, different now, but still likes to hunt.
He will ride in to some tank, and park his butt, and he is perfectly happy with that. Also shot a nice cow last year doing that.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/26/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
7k feet........TFF

I thought the same thing......

But I was also reminded of another member thoughts on texans.
Who was it said, " the Texas version of ANYTHING is phunnier than [bleep]"? Skips my mind at the moment.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm as much of a motorhead as anyone, but ATV's are strictly for game retrieval during hunting season. Period.

The problem with this philosophy is the guys that are retrieving the game bring the ATV's right into prime elk habitat that others are hunting. There are still elk in that drainage. Maybe not real close, but they are there. Once that ATV comes chugging in, the elk leave that drainage. The ones bringing in the ATV don't care because they already got their elk and the hell with everyone else.

In Colorado at least and probably all NF and BLM lands, ATV's and other motorized vehicles are not permitted off approved trails for any reason.

Several years ago language was changed that very NF and BLM trail must have signage of what was permitted. Previous to that it only had to have signage of what was not permitted. So if you don't see an ATV symbol it is not permitted. Same with bicycles, horses, dogs, and hiking.

Any newer NF map or BLM map, now has traffic management areas marked on I. It takes a lawyer to figure them out ,but they are there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by kend
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.

This...

The horse and pack in crowd will get old and crippled someday. I hope they remember their intolerance for those who are now.

I hunt with a good friend from Helena who has had 11 back surgeries, just to keep him walking now. He was strong as an ox and tough as nails before his back injury.

We use 2 ATVs to hunt in more limited ways than the horsey riders. Without the ATV, my friend would be shut out of the sport he has loved for 50 of his 58 years, and he can't ride a horse. We don't go off trail or roads, but we use the machines to whatever advantage we can to gain elevation. One gets parked where we plan to come out at the bottom, and one takes us as high as roads or trails allow, then we ease down the mountain and hunt it out as much as possible. I used mine on my antelope hunt last year. I stopped at the end of an ATV trail where no truck would make it, then I walked 5 miles on out to the antelope spot, shot one, dressed it out to pack, and carried it 5 miles back. It was darned hard to do with a previously broken back, and I couldn't do it again anymore.

So, bristle and bellyache all you want about ATVs. I sure join you when I see them off roads and trails, but they have their place.

All you younger mountain men will eventually get to a point where a little help is necessary...or just choose to give it up.

You kind of described me, use to run with the big dogs up and down mts. Now being in my late 60's, bad back where it hurts sometimes to walk across a parking lot, bad leg, and my buddies are in the same condition due to all kinds of reasons, vietnam, acidents and so on. We use A.T.V.'s. My brother in laws are in their 70's and have hunted up by meeker for probably 30 years.
those atv's are a heck of a lot better in the mud/conditions around where they go just to get around. Typically they drive up some place on a road, park it, then take off a ways. But they are a lifesaver. By the way, they have horses to, but don't haul them up there. Not everybody can support a hayburner year round.
my buddy has had a quadruple bypass, diabetes, neuropathy, and other issues. In his 70's and still likes to hunt. He remembers his early days, different now, but still likes to hunt.
He will ride in to some tank, and park his butt, and he is perfectly happy with that. Also shot a nice cow last year doing that.

Somewhere along the way I got old too but I simply changed my priority's. I quit hunting big game and instead spend my time bird hunting. After the Deer and Elk hunters go home I do some trapping, and follow my Cur dog around when/if we get some snow for tracking.
I enjoy my time in the woods just as much if not more than I did chasing big game but if someone else wants to use getting old as an excuse to hunt off of a 4-wheeler that's fine with me.
Truth is though, the majority of folks using ATV's in this area aren't even close to being old and abuse the land and laws something terrible. I choose not to be one of em.

To the OP,,,, if your mechanic told you what to do regarding jets and altitude I'll be damned if I can figure out why you'd ask a bunch of total strangers who aren't mechanics anyways.
That's just asking for it as far as I'm concerned. Especially around here.

Luck

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I took my unjetted Kawasaki 650 up there in '09 to around 7000 feet and was thankful for every cc. It felt like I was driving a 500.

Last I checked they don't close public land to other forums of recreation during hunting seasons. I say, as long as you follow the rules, run them trails to your harts content. If the locals don't like it they can hunt somewhere else. They don't have to pay the ridiculously inflated nonresident tag prices.

1. Not true.
2. Hot damn! 7k feet?! How'd you do it?
3. If you don't like the tag prices, don't pay them.

Texans are a funny bunch.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry if I'm missing the joke. The point I was making is that taking a carbed machine from 500 feet above sea level to roughly 7000 feet above sea level resulted in a significant loss of power in my particular situation.

Maybe the regs have changed recently but when I hunted there I specifically remember reading the 100 yard rule in the reg book. I could be misremembering.

Last edited by justin10mm; 07/26/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You cannot drive 100 yards off road for game retrieval. Forest Service rules allow you to drive 100 yards off road for camping.
The Rio Grande National Forest has some screwy game retrieval laws unique to that area though.

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/26/14.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by starsky

1. Not true.
2. Hot damn! 7k feet?! How'd you do it?
3. If you don't like the tag prices, don't pay them.

Texans are a funny bunch.

Actually, some of the State Wildlife Area's are closed to all other kinds of recreation during hunting season here.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get off your butt and use the quads that God gave you....you will understand the true meaning of elk hunting.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,152
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.