Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love you, man......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know, but I do know that I did 20 miles on a horse in Montana one day (hadn't been on a horse for at least 10 years prior) and the next day I felt as if I had been beaten with a 2x4

Was you fresh as a daisy after 20 miles on the quad?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Reasoning? There are already too many lazy azzes using them improperly. If a feller ain't in good enuff shape to hunt on foot or horseback, he should take up chess.....

Here we go...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I agree leave the ATV at at home. And just how in shape do you have to be to ride a horse???????????

You do have to be in "riding" shape to ride a horse or you will be one sore son of a bitch at the end of the day

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another fact of the matter is that when elk hear an ATV enter the canyon, you MIGHT be able to see the herd as they top out over rim, not stopping 'til the 3rd canyon beyond where they were spooked by it... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is what ya need

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/pn_5dMHsCPE?[/video]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I applaud anyone, regardless of age, that uses them responsibly, courteously and legally.....but those guys are few, and far between......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
ATV's are fine to get where the hunt starts.

Good for packin' the animals down after you get 'em back to the trail.

But, by and large slob hunters are responsible for the reputation they earned for not doing things the right way, and ruining the hunt that other folks have waited for too.

ATV's have a use. But, in lots of cases, the best use of it, is to leave it parked at home. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure the OP isn't 80.

Obviously you've never had the joy of getting up at 4:00 am, hiking a mile or more to an early morning spot on a rim before dawn and then at first light, some [bleep] from out of state rolls up on the other side on his noisy ATV, oblivious to the fact that he just pushed all the elk out of the drainage.

I have.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 07/25/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
...and all because he asked about rejetting for altitude.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I applaud anyone, regardless of age, that uses them responsibly, courteously and legally.....but those guys are few, and far between......

That pretty much sums it up and why the reaction to the post went south.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There IS one sure way to not have to re-jet it. I think I mentioned how, in my first post......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kend
Everyone's hunting situation is different. Three of us hunt in Colorado every fall and we take three ATV's. We ride them on the main gravel roads and on designated ATV trails to where ever we want to drop off and hunt. It's not reasonable to drive my pickup and camper even if we all hunted the same canyon every day which we don't. I've seen men in their 80's on ATV's that otherwise probably wouldn't be in the woods and I applaud them. I suggest that some of you guy's rethink your comments.

This...

The horse and pack in crowd will get old and crippled someday. I hope they remember their intolerance for those who are now.

I hunt with a good friend from Helena who has had 11 back surgeries, just to keep him walking now. He was strong as an ox and tough as nails before his back injury.

We use 2 ATVs to hunt in more limited ways than the horsey riders. Without the ATV, my friend would be shut out of the sport he has loved for 50 of his 58 years, and he can't ride a horse. We don't go off trail or roads, but we use the machines to whatever advantage we can to gain elevation. One gets parked where we plan to come out at the bottom, and one takes us as high as roads or trails allow, then we ease down the mountain and hunt it out as much as possible. I used mine on my antelope hunt last year. I stopped at the end of an ATV trail where no truck would make it, then I walked 5 miles on out to the antelope spot, shot one, dressed it out to pack, and carried it 5 miles back. It was darned hard to do with a previously broken back, and I couldn't do it again anymore.

So, bristle and bellyache all you want about ATVs. I sure join you when I see them off roads and trails, but they have their place.

All you younger mountain men will eventually get to a point where a little help is necessary...or just choose to give it up.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe you should read this again. If you're still pissed off, then you know which group you are in.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My sincere apology. I had figured you all wrong. blush

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
clap, clap.......(that's applause)

L2s, you seem to do it up right.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by robinhedd
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I did not say it, but I could have.

My reasoning would be from my experiences a bit further west:

1: Any place you can get with an ATV, there will be 5000 rednecks there ahead of you. (many of them drinking, driving, and carrying guns)

2: In my area of operations, it is completely illegal to hunt from an ATV.

3: There are no ATV trails where game is. If there was game near an ATV trail, it would have long ago been exterminated.

4: ATVs intruding upon our traditional hunting areas in unlawful manners just pisses off us old hunters to no end. They can not get off the trail, and there is not enough room on the trail for our horses to pass them in a safe manner.

Yes, I own a Suzuki Vinson 500 4X4. I dearly love to ride it in the mountains on open ATV trails and logging roads. But I do not take it during hunting season.

I am taking the ATV to retrieve my elk after I kill one. I bet something pretty that I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than any of u that responded negatively.
Furthermore: We are hunting private land & BLM land where ATV's are perfectly legal in the state of Colorado. Thx, RH

Not in this state.

That's what pack frames are for.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got roped into doing an ATV based hunt ONCE. We rode a dozen or so miles in and set up camp and I burned boot leather from there. I was amazed at how many ATV's followed me into the backcountry off trail. The whole place sounded like the superbowl of motocross. I'd sooner take up golf than dick with a motor again. It's been boots and horses ever since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold my ATV when I figgered out it wouldn't take me any place my truck wouldn't go.

I gotta add ...

I never used it for "hunting". It was only to get from "A" to "B" where I started hunting.

Last edited by fish head; 07/25/14.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.