Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

Agnostic or Atheist? Or is there really a difference?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
One is humble & intellectually honest enough to admit he may be wrong. The other defied logic by stating that a negative can be proven as fact.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Richard Dawkins lays out a 7 point scale between total belief (1) and total unbelief (7). They system allows for different degrees of belief/agnosticism. Since it's impossible to prove a negative, Dawkins will often describe himself as a 6.5 on this 7 point scale. So although he's technically an agnostic, he's functionally an atheist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
An agnostic isn't sure, so he's hedging his bets.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Agnostics use some emotion in their thinking,Atheists use only the facts.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sure, I know the differences as defined by Webster. I am interested in what our members say.

For myself: I suppose there might be now, or might have been at some time in the billions of years since this Universe was spawned, several species out there with vastly more intelligence, wisdom, science, and technology than we have accumulated to this date. But those beings, if they ever existed, most certainly have no interest or effect upon the present day events of this planet. They certainly do not care about, or intervene in my day to day activities

I believe that any species in this Universe is bound by the natural laws of Physics.

I firmly believe that when electrical activity in the brain ceases, all that a man is, was, or ever will be ceases to exist. Thus there can be no Afterlife, no Heaven, and no Hell. I believe that all stories of supernatural events, contrary to the known and unknown laws of science, are matters of coincidence, misinterpretation, and or delusion.

I would say agnostic.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would say he's going straight to hell, to smoke a turd.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
That is what I have proclaimed since High School.

Some how I simply could never believe in anything I could not see, touch, or feel. Even as a young child, I used to ask "why" or "how" much more than my elders appreciated.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would say he's going straight to hell, to smoke a turd.

LOL

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yer an atheist...IMO.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, actually, not a Hell of a lot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agnostics don't know and are open given evidence. Atheists are pretty sure of themselves.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That is what I have proclaimed since High School.

Some how I simply could never believe in anything I could not see, touch, or feel. Even as a young child, I used to ask "why" or "how" much more than my elders appreciated.

At the age of six I frequently corrected my Sunday School teachers when they were telling us something that was patently untrue. They didn't appreciate facts coming from a little kid.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
In 2'nd grade I got a staff infection in one ear and had to avoid any contact with cold air. I spent recess all winter in the classroom reading encyclopedias.

Then I would go home each day and challenge my Mom to answer questions about that which I had read that day. Mom got more than a bit frustrated with me at times.

That probably had great influence on my later perspectives.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My mother was a teacher and we referred to her as " Britannica Breath" one of the smartest individuals I ever met, and not one to be played the fool.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Back to the OP.

Contrary to the typical Atheist, you will never see or hear me criticize another for his/her faith. I have great respect for those who hold their faith dear and honor it.

I am sometimes envious. It would be nice, at times, to believe there was someone out there who could solve all of my, or even the world's problems.

But alas, I can not, without evidence. And we all know evidence is completely contrary to faith.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ingwe
My mother was a teacher and we referred to her as " Britannica Breath" one of the smartest individuals I ever met, and not one to be played the fool.

She sounds like an impressive lady.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I am sometimes envious. It would be nice, at times, to believe there was someone out there who could solve all of my, or even the world's problems.

But alas, I can not, without evidence. And we all know evidence is completely contrary to faith.

I am the same. It must be very comforting to have the answer to every question laid out for you�..but��...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

What a man believes has no effect on reality. Anybody can type his beliefs on a forum but does that make what he types the truth?

What about people who were healed of various sicknesses or diseases? I know a woman who suffered for fibro mialga for 7 years after a car wreck. She was instantly healed at a revival in florida. I know her personally and seen the pain she was in for years then I saw her lead a regular life after her experience.

Heres my take on it. You don't know $hit, I don't know $hit, nobody else on the fire really knows $hit, scientists don't know $hit, our leaders don't know $hit and all the smart people who think they know everything really don't know $hit. The more things people present as fact the more stupid they make themselves look. So keep on pushing your agenda like the homos and liberals, cause everybody knows they make themselves look so wise.

Well maybe that was a bit harsh, my apologies. Just seemed at first you were taking a jab at people of faith. But only the last line, I still think none of use knows $hit.

Last edited by seal_billy; 07/26/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then there is me, I believe in God, I don't believe in some afterlife, or that He watches and knows everything we think/do. Not much of a believer in the Bible being anything but man made.

I also don't believe in the devil, demons, ghosts etc etc.

That said, I also know I don't know everything and that most anything is possible, with the exception of never having to pay taxes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10ring1, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.