Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Go to a nursery supply, farm supply and get some gopher poison. Find the hole under the mound and open it. Poor in a tsp or so of the poison. Cover the hole again. This will kill every gopher that comes along in that tunnel for a long time. I have had virtually 100 percent success with this method and it is very cost effective.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I have had good luck with the Macabee traps. Here is the website. Watch the how-to videos. Good luck.

http://gophertrapping.com/

Used a lot of these as a kid, very effective. Leave the hole open, they show up real quick to close it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aluminum phosphide tabs. open hole, indert tab(s) and cover. water activates and makes a gas. poof. dead gophers.

or buy you half a dozen death clutch traps and find a neighbor kid who is willing to trap them all for you for $X a piece. when he's done offer him the traps if he makes sure to keep killing any gophers that come by.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If a rat terrier won't do it, nothing will.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Sometimes, dumb luck will work. When I was in the back yard, resetting the empty trap for the third time, I saw movement in the tunnel and stomped down on it and stood on it until the wiggling stopped. DRT.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All these methods have limited success. The only trap I have found that is 100% effective is Black Hole Rodent Trap. Usually you catch the gopher in less than 30 minutes if you follow the instructions.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been seeing signs that the thirteen lined ground squirrels that we have in this area are moving into my yard. Little bastids are so slim and flighty that they make tough targets.

I'm thinking of setting out this weekend with my Henry 22 and some Colibri's or my .44 stuffed with birdshot.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Thanks all. I'll report back next week. Certifiable, you don't seem half bad. wink Sorry I was such a prick Sunday. (I am going through menopause. blush )

Jordan

RJ, it's all good here brother.. Indeed I'm not half bad, the other half is open for debate tho!

I stopped short of offering to loan you one of my pet Gaboon vipers to send down the hole as an exterminator.. wink

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I trapped a big mole yesterday using a Victor Out O'Sight Mole trap. They work well if you set them in a runway that's in use.

My wife says I should mount it next to the kudu and cape buffalo.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've tried a bunch of different ideas none of which worked, but the wife with her persistence came up with the only solution that worked here... poison bait placed in the hole and cover with a brick...

What ever you do don't try and flood them out with a water hose, guarantee this will not work and will only do damage to your property!

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
As a kid, I used to shoot them in the yard at our hunting camp. Takes patience, something a 12 year old needs to learn anyway for hunting. You have to dig out a tunnel, deeper than the tunnel itself so when the critter tries to fill it, the dirt falls away from the hole, after about 2-3 tries, he will poke his head out to see what is going on, then you apply a charge of .410 lead.

Takes me back about 45 years..... smile

BTDT, especially on the old smart ones that I couldnt catch in a trap. Late in the afternoon, just before dark!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to spend the money, they make an implement you pull behind your tractor. You plow through the areas that are infected with the gophers and around the perimeter of the property. This implement puts out the poison seeds and seems to do a pretty good job at getting rid of them.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Buy one of these.( the one on top) I guarantee it will work. If not I will buy it from you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&am...=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_jkiup9lt2_e

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What do you guys like for killing gophers in the lawn? They're building mounds and I can't get a shot at 'em (they ain't squills wink ). Is there a particular poison or trap that works? Whats the technique? All I have are mounds of dirt on the lawn with no obvious entrance hole.

Thanks,

Jordan

you don't even need a reason

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kill the grubs and other bugs that they are going after and they will have no reason to go into your yard.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That's moles, our boy is after gophers who chow down on anything green and juicy..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Thanks all. I'll report back next week. Certifiable, you don't seem half bad. wink Sorry I was such a prick Sunday. (I am going through menopause. blush )

Jordan

I stopped short of offering to loan you one of my pet Gaboon vipers to send down the hole as an exterminator.. wink
grin grin

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WillARights
Bottles of Paprika, and a water hose.

I love Certifiable's focus, and aggression.

Why do you have to drink paprika? I prefer bourbon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've been seeing signs that the thirteen lined ground squirrels that we have in this area are moving into my yard. Little bastids are so slim and flighty that they make tough targets.

I'm thinking of setting out this weekend with my Henry 22 and some Colibri's or my .44 stuffed with birdshot.

Here's a way that works great with stripers. You need a fishing pole and some line, monofil fishing line, about 10lb test works best. Make a slipknot and ring the hole; wait for the little bastid to poke head up and jerk it out of the hole. First time I tried this I was eight for ten in one afternoon. It does work.

If you have a problem with moles, which are meat eaters only, get some poison worms. They work too, but you the landowner will get no satisfaction from killin' cause they just die in the tunnels.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.