Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12
How do saggy pants offend you?

And good try with the Miller angle. However there are two other criteria needed to be comsidered legally obscene. Saggy pants don't meet them
I referenced it on principle, since there isn't a Supreme Court case precisely on point. The principle derived is that conduct that offends local standards of decency, and which at the same time lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value, is not protected by the First Amendment as against local ordinances.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak
So, you're all for LOCAL legislation preventing self expression ( the ordinance banning saggy pants). But against LOCAL legislation preventing the carry of firearms.
No government, on any level, has any business legislating about what kinds of clothes people must or must not wear or how they wear them.
I agree with you.
We have ourselves another anarchist, it seems.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So, you're all for LOCAL legislation preventing self expression ( the ordinance banning saggy pants). But against LOCAL legislation preventing the carry of firearms.
No government, on any level, has any business legislating about what kinds of clothes people must or must not wear or how they wear them.
I agree with you.
We have ourselves another anarchist, it seems.

A: it doesn't meet the sexual standards of Miller.

B: i'm no anarchist. I believe govt has legitimate functions. Telling people how they wear their clothes, what kinds of foods to eat, what to drive, etc. are not part of thise legitimate functions at any level.

While saggy pants may look stupid, it seems a far stretch to classify them as offensive, unless they meet the statutory parameters for indecent exposure

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A: it doesn't meet the sexual standards of Miller.

B: i'm no anarchist. I believe govt has legitimate functions. Telling people how they wear their clothes, what kinds of foods to eat, what to drive, etc. are not part of thise legitimate functions at any level.

While saggy pants may look stupid, it seems a far stretch to classify them as offensive, unless they meet the statutory parameters for indecent exposure
We can derive from the ruling that local decency standards prevail with regard to conduct so long as it lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

Additionally, the absence of a ruling against said local ordinance that's precisely on point, combined with the current existence of the law, establishes a strong legal presumption that the law is not offensive to the First Amendment. This is particularly the case in light of the argument by derivation that I made in the paragraph above, and in light of the absence of language in the First Amendment appearing on its face to protect offensive conduct from regulation by local ordinance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This sure has strayed from the OP. I for one, am happy the see the DC court make this decision. I would also like to see a national reciprocity law. I am not in favor of a national CC permit just a law that states if you can legally carry concealed in your home state you can carry in every state.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
This sure has strayed from the OP. I for one, am happy the see the DC court make this decision. I would also like to see a national reciprocity law. I am not in favor of a national CC permit just a law that states if you can legally carry concealed in your home state you can carry in every state.
Agreed.

PS It wasn't me who took the thread a new direction. I was merely responding to gitem's false assertions. Which false assertions, by the way, I wouldn't have even seen apart from Derby Dude quoting him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Unfortunately, these decisions mean nothing as no court has the authority or firepower to enforce it's decisions on governments at any level. The tyrants will carry on as usual.

By "Tyrants", you mean Law Enforcement, yes.

By "Tyrants", you mean cops that are willing to break their Oath and disobey a Federal Judge and arrest Law Abiding Citizens, yes.

Without these LEO Tyrants, there would be nothing to fear by obeying the Laws and this judges ruling, yes.

Not necessarily although the LEO (retainers) do work for the tyrants. By tyrants I mean those leaders in power who ignore court rulings they don't like and continue business as usual.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Saggy pants, and a whole host of other inner-city problems, would be taken care of within a generation--probably sooner--if the government would simply quit pumping in free money. The slums would burn, of course, but then the people who wanted to continue eating would need to get jobs, which means that they would learn to pull up their pants.

As usual you hit the nail on the head. It would create a lot of blood shed but when the blood shed stopped we would have a saner country left.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tim, this is why I like you, we have had disagreements but you at least have the ability to see that hypocrisy is wrong no matter how he tries to spin it

The original intent of the Bill of Rights up until the 1920's when SCOTUS discovered the doctrine of incorporation was to restrain the power of Congress not the States or local political units. Therefore, under original intent the cities can regulate saggy pants and firearms. Congress on the other hand cannot regulate firearms but could regulate saggy pants although someone surely would claim 1st Amendment rights to wear saggy pants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I have a question. Suppose I lived in DC, and the judge made this ruling, and the next week (or anyway, before any actual laws got changed) I got arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in DC.

How much use of this decision could I make in my defense?

The 7th circuit struck down Illinois' ban on CW but allowed them to enforce that unconstitutional law for another year+...
There are various actions currently before the courts to address that issue, but it surely happened...

As far as I'm concerned, every Illinois conviction solely for weapons carry in history should be overturned.
the truly bad guys have other convictions besides CW...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Congress on the other hand cannot regulate firearms but could regulate saggy pants although someone surely would claim 1st Amendment rights to wear saggy pants.
Actually not, since in order to regulate saggy pants, Congress would need to point to where said power was delegated to it in the Constitution. You see, the Federal Government only has those powers delegated to it by enumeration in the Constitution, while the states retained all the powers normally associated with a sovereign, i.e., almost unlimited. The ultimate check on this huge amount of power in the hands of the states, though, was 1) that the states' powers were closer to the people and could thus be more easily restrained by them through the ballot box, and 2) the states would have to compete with one another for population, thus they could only go so far in displeasing any large minority interest groups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congress on the other hand cannot regulate firearms but could regulate saggy pants although someone surely would claim 1st Amendment rights to wear saggy pants.
Actually not, since in order to regulate saggy pants, Congress would need to point to where said power was delegated to it in the Constitution. You see, the Federal Government only has those powers delegated to it by enumeration in the Constitution, while the states retained all the powers normally associated with a sovereign, i.e., almost unlimited. The ultimate check on this huge amount of power in the hands of the states, though, was 1) that the states' powers were closer to the people and could thus be more easily restrained by them through the ballot box, and 2) the states would have to compete with one another for population, thus they could only go so far in displeasing any large minority interest groups.

You maybe right but without a specific amendment restraining Congress, Congress could do it and might even pull it off.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
But we're talking about original intent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congress could mandate veryone wear spandex so it would be harder for people to carry concealed weapons which would help police.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But we're talking about original intent.

True.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...an-on-gun-carry-rights-unconstitutional/

Here's the money quote:

Judge Sculin extensively referenced the Supreme Court decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010) to concluding �there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.�

The court ordered the city to now allow residents from the District and other states to carry weapon within its boundaries.

"Order" is one thing - COMPLIANCE may be quite another.. Watch for the a-holes in DC to stonewall, obfuscate, delay, dally, (you name it) and NOTHING will change, probably for decades..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

Here's the money quote:

Judge Sculin extensively referenced the Supreme Court decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010) to concluding �there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.�

The court ordered the city to now allow residents from the District and other states to carry weapon within its boundaries.

"Order" is one thing - COMPLIANCE may be quite another.. Watch for the a-holes in DC to stonewall, obfuscate, delay, dally, (you name it) and NOTHING will change, probably for decades..
I wonder if the Supreme Court could hold those who are meant to comply in contempt of court, i.e., toss them in jail for failure to act.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Here's the money quote:

Judge Sculin extensively referenced the Supreme Court decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010) to concluding “there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.”

I wonder if the Supreme Court could hold those who are meant to comply in contempt of court, i.e., toss them in jail for failure to act.

Probably not. I would seem the first person to throw in jail for contempt of court would the president.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Here's the money quote:

So far it appears that the Police chief has ordered the Rank and File to comply.

http://alangura.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/07-137-14.pdf

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, excellent..

But what's the deal re: "registered" handguns?? Why does anyone have to register a handgun? How is THAT legal? (and yes, I know, there are cities/places that somehow 'require' registration - although everyone should totally and completely ignore that BS crap)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.