Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
My opinion:

It's pretty clear that Kyle was fabricating the Ventura story.

Regardless, I don't know what Ventura gains by pursuing this lawsuit against Kyle's estate. Kyle is somewhat of a national hero, and public opinion is gonna go against Ventura regardless of the facts.

This is really about Ventura's ego, and Kyle's ego. They are essentially the same (type of) person, personality wise. The main difference is that Kyle has killed a bunch of people, and Ventura only killed those mexicans in the Predator.

I don't agree with that at all.

To state that somebody said that about American service members is a pretty horrific allegation IMO. If it were just getting punched, I could see the point about ego. But that's not the whole story.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did jesse ever deny making the statement, or just getting his ass kicked?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RWE

He adamantly denies making that statement.

(Based on what I've read of course)

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It really is a tale of modern America.

Carlos Hathcock went to war as kid from rural Arkansas who had grown up hunting and fishing. He became a sniper and fought just about the toughest enemy we have ever faced in just about the toughest conditions imaginable. When he came home, he came home to obscurity and liked it. But for a small book written about him nearly twenty years after most of the stuff happened, no one outside of sniper and competitive shooting circles would know who he was. I read his book, and the only joy he ever expressed about killing someone was when he shot the female VC officer because of what she had been doing to soldiers.

Chris Kyle grew up in rural Texas hunting and fishing. He went off to war against a much less militarily capable opponent in much different conditions than Hathcock. Upon returning home, he more or less was an instant celebrity and lived larger than life with everything from his truck to his charity work, to the book. In contrast to Hathcock's attitude, Chris Kyle was quoted in his book as saying, "...I wish I had killed more."

I don't really blame Kyle, it is just the way things are nowadays. That is modern America. And it really isn't too hard to see why we are what we are nowadays and why things are the way they are.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've put away a good amount of beer and chow at McP's pub in Coronado. Nice place. When I was younger and stationed at Coronado, we'd pre-flight at McP's, then head to Pacific Beach for the real night life.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read the book on Hathcock many years ago too.

He was lethal.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

It's about the way I see it, too. For both men.

Originally Posted by JoeBob
It really is a tale of modern America.

Carlos Hathcock went to war as kid from rural Arkansas who had grown up hunting and fishing. He became a sniper and fought just about the toughest enemy we have ever faced in just about the toughest conditions imaginable. When he came home, he came home to obscurity and liked it. But for a small book written about him nearly twenty years after most of the stuff happened, no one outside of sniper and competitive shooting circles would know who he was. I read his book, and the only joy he ever expressed about killing someone was when he shot the female VC officer because of what she had been doing to soldiers.

Chris Kyle grew up in rural Texas hunting and fishing. He went off to war against a much less militarily capable opponent in much different conditions than Hathcock. Upon returning home, he more or less was an instant celebrity and lived larger than life with everything from his truck to his charity work, to the book. In contrast to Hathcock's attitude, Chris Kyle was quoted in his book as saying, "...I wish I had killed more."

I don't really blame Kyle, it is just the way things are nowadays. That is modern America. And it really isn't too hard to see why we are what we are nowadays and why things are the way they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rather than have you continue to passive aggressively insinuate that I am lying, I'll give you a tip.

I wasn't insinuating anything, if I thought you were lying, I would say so. I simply asked for the source of the information. I hadn't heard any of that before.
Go to this neat place called Google. A search box will appear. In said search "Chris Kyle deposition". Then, press "enter". Magically, a list of article responsive to that search will appear.

In my defense, I didn't know I was dealing w/ a douche bag.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RWE

Travis
Of course.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Rather than have you continue to passive aggressively insinuate that I am lying, I'll give you a tip.

I wasn't insinuating anything, if I thought you were lying, I would say so. I simply asked for the source of the information. I hadn't heard any of that before.
Go to this neat place called Google. A search box will appear. In said search "Chris Kyle deposition". Then, press "enter". Magically, a list of article responsive to that search will appear.

In my defense, I didn't know I was dealing w/ a douche bag.

Well, in my defense, intent doesn't always come across over the internet. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the douche from the bag.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RWE

Travis

Flave makes a good point. Kyle's accusation of what Ventura said would be very damaging to Ventura in the military/SEAL community. I can understand him doing whatever it takes to prove that wrong ... if it is wrong. The jury agreed with Ventura, at least. We can only speculate one way or the other.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RWE

Travis
Of course.

Of course, of course.

Travis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RWE

Travis

Flave makes a good point. Kyle's accusation of what Ventura said would be very damaging to Ventura in the military/SEAL community. I can understand him doing whatever it takes to prove that wrong ... if it is wrong. The jury agreed with Ventura, at least. We can only speculate one way or the other.

Not just the SEAL community. Ventura went from being a pretty regular guest on Fox News type shows to being one of the most hated men on those type shows. He got the same treatment the Dixie Chicks got, only according to him, he didn't actually say it.

Think about it. Try to remember the last time you saw Ventura on television in something not related to this trial. Now, think about how much you used to see him on television.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/30/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Not just the SEALs though. He got railroaded over that. Not good for business when you're in the celebrity business.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ventura was always over the top pro Navy Seal whenever I heard him talk about the subject as well.

back to your point about changing times in comparison of Hathcock to Kyle

just look at the progression of the sniper reputation over the wars. I know there was a mixed bag of opinion on snipers -both friend or enemy in the world wars.

Now the sniper is lauded for their expertise.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KFWA
so I am reading up on this guy and apparently he's made some rather startling claims post war.

One reporter has written that Chris Kyle claimed to have killed 30 civilians from atop the Superdome in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina?

don't you go to jail for that or at least get investigated?

Take this for whatever it's worth...

But the presence of SF at the Superdome has been reported from day one.

Travis

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

Not just the SEALs though. He got railroaded over that. Not good for business when you're in the celebrity business.

Travis

that kinda goes back to my original point though ... I'm afraid winning the lawsuit isn't gonna "restore" ventura's name in the broader community. Most ppl I'm talking to think it's just mean-spirited to be suing Kyle's estate.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ventura was always over the top pro Navy Seal whenever I heard him talk about the subject as well.

back to your point about changing times in comparison of Hathcock to Kyle

just look at the progression of the sniper reputation over the wars. I know there was a mixed bag of opinion on snipers -both friend or enemy in the world wars.

Now the sniper is lauded for their expertise.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. It is a mixed bag. Snipers are necessary and a valuable force multiplier. We need them. On the other hand, I'm old school enough that I don't feel comfortable celebrating and honoring people, to the extent we do, who have the sole job of killing people with a high powered rifle from afar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so I am reading up on this guy and apparently he's made some rather startling claims post war.

One reporter has written that Chris Kyle claimed to have killed 30 civilians from atop the Superdome in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina?

don't you go to jail for that or at least get investigated?

Take this for whatever it's worth...

But the presence of SF at the Superdome has been reported from day one.

Travis

I just can't imagine how you cover up 30 people shot - even in the chaos of Katrina

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Travis

that kinda goes back to my original point though ... I'm afraid winning the lawsuit isn't gonna "restore" ventura's name in the broader community. Most ppl I'm talking to think it's just mean-spirited to be suing Kyle's estate.

Kyle definitely ruined Ventura. Would you like to be known as the guy who was loud mouthing about how SEALS deserved to die at the wake of a SEAL or the guy who is hated for continuing a lawsuit against a dead SEAL's estate for telling that lie about you?

I don't really see a good option there, particularly when you are in the celebrity business.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 40 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,612
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.