Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

You cannot run a picatinny sloped rail, so if you are into shooting distance you better have a scope with a lot of internal adjustment.

Sure you can, just have to drill 4 holes. I have a 20MOA rail on my 6.5CM target rifle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, Ken Farrel makes them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by summitsitter
Its bedded, trigger tuned, different scopes, different handloads, crown looks good. Ill rebarell it myself so cist would be minimum. Just wondering will it solve my problem.

If you can rebarrel a rifle then you can at least recut the crown on that one.

Besides the 30-06 is a better cartridge. If you needed 280 ammo while in the sticks you won't find it in a general store.

The fastest and least expensive way to get what you want is to sell that one and buy another!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yep, Ken Farrel makes them..

I didn't know this. Now the question is, who has a jig to drill out a Ruger action?

The other problem i see is, if you attach a rail on top where the integral ring used to sit, now you have a scope sitting a foot off the gun.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a ruger in 30-06 that's a 2" gun at best. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 280ai. Just wondering can I get it to be a under moa rifle. Ive heard from a few folks that they aren't worth rebsrreling. What is yall experience.

I have the twin to that rifle also in 30-06. I called Ruger and they had a bad batch of barrels that mine is part of. They told me to send it in but they would replace my Timney with a factory trigger. If your still using a factory trigger it might be worth calling them.

If mine had not been a gift I would chuck it in a lake.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a ruger in 30-06 that's a 2" gun at best. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 280ai. Just wondering can I get it to be a under moa rifle. Ive heard from a few folks that they aren't worth rebsrreling. What is yall experience.

Every gun is different so what is possible with yours is pure speculation based on experience. Based on my experience, floating the barrel, proper tightening of the action screws (see posts by others here) and tuning the trigger if needed will do wonders.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
I've owned several Rugers. All of them were OK shooters, nothing to write home about. I think an action truing and new barrel definitely will help. They are a solid gun, but not really good for much other than point or shoot. Few aftermarket accessories for them, and you are stuck with their zero MOA ring system.

Just curious. What aftermarket accessories do you need for them, that aren't available?

Hardly anyone makes a short action stock for them, other than McMillan. And their ring system sucks. You cannot run a picatinny sloped rail, so if you are into shooting distance you better have a scope with a lot of internal adjustment.

One could do worse than a McMillan stock. smile As to Ruger's ring system, I prefer it to any other for my purposes. A mule, a log and two broken ribs conspired to show me just how strong the Ruger system is. No itty-bitty screws to snap off. Shooting at distance (out to 600 yards) I use BDC reticles so I don't have to fiddle with knobs. At longer ranges I can see where a sloped rail would be advantageous or even necessary but for 99.9% of hunters, and probably more, such accoutrements aren't necessary or even desirable.

You've probably seen some of my 100-yard targets before so I won't bother posting them again, but sub-MOA is common for 3-shot targets and it is not uncommon for two-shot scope checks to have two holes touching or within caliber distance of each other.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post CH. You and I must be the luckiest bastids here. I've never had a problem getting a Ruger to shoot well. We even go about it differently and get the same results. Dogcatcher has bad mouthed Ruger m77's for poor accuracy a lot in the past, now he's playing the not enough aftermarket parts card. Pretty much bullchit either way, but to each their own. I'm like you on the factory integral ring mounting system and find it tough as nails and extremely useful. Brown precision used to make the "pounder" stock for the Ruger m77 and Mcmillan still makes them, the factory trigger can easily be tuned. What other aftermarket part does a guy need for these rifles??? The OP says he can re-barrel the rifle himself, that's what I'd do if unhappy with it. Another option would be to send it back to Sturm/Ruger for them to re-barrel..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had very good luck with Mark II's and Hawkeyes, partly because Rugers own hammer-forged barrels are among the best factory barrels on American production rifles. Usually the rifles will shoot very well with some simple accurizing tricks.

That said, sometimes stuff happens. I'd be tempted to send it back to Ruger for a new factory barrel, since they might even do it for free, and even what they charge for a replacement is pretty darn cheap.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Exactly, and they have damn good customer service. Guys like CH can attest to that. I've only had to send one (a new 338 stainless laminate) back in for repair, and they were great to deal with.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Please describe the mag box binding you talk about. Is it touching the stock somewhere?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had very good luck with Mark II's and Hawkeyes, partly because Rugers own hammer-forged barrels are among the best factory barrels on American production rifles. Usually the rifles will shoot very well with some simple accurizing tricks.

That said, sometimes stuff happens. I'd be tempted to send it back to Ruger for a new factory barrel, since they might even do it for free, and even what they charge for a replacement is pretty darn cheap.

Ditto on sending it back to Ruger. Love their customer service and in my experience they'll always make it right for either free or very cheap.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last I heard Ruger would only rebarrel to the same caliber it came from the factory with. Since they started making their own barrels, the accuracy has been fine. When they bought their barrels, the accuracy was greatly variable. I have a #1V in .22-250 that must have the Wilson long throated barrel. I cannot get closet to the lands with any bullet that will stabilize. It still shoots 5/8 inch groups with hand loads it likes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While, since a sloped rail is important to you, the Ruger mounts may not meet your requirements, they most certainly do not "suck". They are, in fact, one of the best features of the action, being solid, easily removable, and included at no extra charge. They are excellent mounts for a hunting rifle, if a little heavy. Most folks wanting an action for long range or serious target work aren't going to use a CRF of any sort, except for some old timers hanging onto pre-64s for match shooting.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
LeonHitchcock,

You're absolutely right about Ruger not rebarreling to anything except the original chambering. In fact, I don't know of any major rifle manufacturer who will rebarrel to a different cartridge, because otherwise rifle loonies would be sending their rifles in once or twice a year because they suddenly have a whim for a B-29 Ackley Improved.

But what we have in this instance is a .30-06 that will only shoot into 2". If the guy doesn't want another .30-06 barrel, fine, he can pay $500 or more for a custom barrel installation. But if he wants an accurate .30-06, my bet is that a new Ruger barrel will shoot into an inch or less.

I'd also bet it would do the same for your .22-250, and at much less cost than a custom barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh my God! A B-29 Ackley Improved! I have to check my bank balance! Thanks for the inspiration John!

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
While, since a sloped rail is important to you, the Ruger mounts may not meet your requirements, they most certainly do not "suck". They are, in fact, one of the best features of the action, being solid, easily removable, and included at no extra charge. They are excellent mounts for a hunting rifle, if a little heavy.
Ruger integral rings are comparable in weight to Leupold STD/Redfield-type rings and bases. Moron candyasses, like dogcatcher223, perpetuate some of the most idiotic bullshit with incredibly articulate descriptions, such as "they suck," without having a single clue about the actual subject.

CLICK D LINK

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bear,

Glad I could inspire you!

The B-29 AI also has the throat angle changed, in order to accommodate all the new super-high-BC bullets in .29 caliber, which will soon be kicking the collective asses of all the antique long-range calibers like 6.5mm.

John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Before you do anything drastic shoot some 220gr ammo through it. Then just go hunting!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, they LOOK heavy!

Thanks for D link.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.