here are some comments by Elmer Keith on the then new 22 Magnum cartridge and the two Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered for it.

Smith & Wesson K-22 WRF Magnum
Guns Magazine November, 1959

We have now thoroughly tested the new K-22 Smith & Wesson for the new Winchester .22 Rim Fire Magnum.

The little gun grouped consistently in one ragged hole at 15 yards when I did my part. Just right for taking the heads off cottontails, grouse, or squirrel.

I next shot the little gun out to long range on old car bodies, and was surprised how well it carried up, being so much flatter than any other .22 rim fire I have ever used.

For anyone aspiring to learn long range sixgun shooting. I cannot think of a better gun and load with which to practice this sport. All that is needed is a suitable long range target with a safe background. The load is very flat and very accurate, and will offer very cheap long range practice in comparison with our big center fire sixgun calibers.

For anyone wanting a top-flight revolver for small game and target or long range shooting, I can without reservations, recommend the new Smith & Wesson K-model for the .22 WRF Magnum cartridge. Extraction of six cartridges simultaneously harder than a Model K in the .22 L.R. cartridge, showing conclusively that pressures are higher in spite of claims to the contrary; but one bump with the palm of the hand will knock all six empties from the gun.

.22 Magnum Smith & Wesson Kit Gun
Guns Magazine June, 1961
.22 R.F. Magnum Smith & Wesson

We have been testing a little Smith & Wesson Kit Gun for the new .22 W.R.F. Magnum Cartridge. This cartridge makes a real small game killer of the little gun. It seems just as accurate as a fine K-22 for the .22 L.R. or mag cartridge, but is a very much smaller and lighter gun to carry.

The little gun has ramp front and fully adjustable rear sight, and a perfect trigger pull. It would stay on a silver dollar at 15 yards, if you can hold it. Being smaller, it is a bit harder to shoot than a larger heavier gun, but the inherent accuracy is there and if you do your part it will account for any small game very nicely. It seems a far better killer even than the .22 L.R. high speed hollow point.

For anyone wanting a very light super accurate, target sighted .22 caliber pistol that will really do the work we heartily recommend this new Smith & Wesson Kit Gun for the .22 Rim Fire Magnum Cartridge. Jack Nancolas wants to kill some treed cougar with it, and it will do the job.

S&W .22 RFM Kit Gun

We have been testing a new S&W Kit Gun for the now popular .22 Rim Fire Magnum cartridge. This little gun is superbly accurate, seemingly just as accurate as the much larger and heavier K-Model S&W in same caliber. The little gun is amply accurate for a chickens head every time ay 15 yards, if you can hold it.

For the hunter wanting the shortest, lightest, practical small game pistol, this little gun should fill the ticket exactly.
I would say this is the finest small light weight sixgun I have seen, both cartridge and gun.

Slim