Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have not seen those photos before. Very interesting.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A small private plane that I really like and have ridden in is a Helio Courier. Military plane would be a U2. My Son retired after 22years in the Air Force. Except with a year in the middle east with the A10s, he was a U2 crew chief. He retired when he was stationed at U2 Flight Test Plant 42 in Palmdale, Calif. He was given one of the windscreens and the flag that flew with his bird when it set a World Altitude Payload record. They reside in my shop.
My Dad was career Air Force and I have a love for all of the military birds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To be perfectly honest, my favorite airplane is any one that I am not in.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Always thought the P-38 Lightning was really cool

The Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing is an American biplane with an atypical negative stagger (the lower wing is further forward than the upper wing), that first flew in 1932.The Staggerwing's retractable conventional landing gear, uncommon at that time, combined with streamlining, light weight, and powerful radial engines helped it perform significantly better than other biplane designs. Setting the standard for private passenger airplanes for many years to come. It was considered, during its time, to be the premier executive aircraft flying, much as the Gulfstream executive jets are considered in contemporary times.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
To be perfectly honest, my favorite airplane is any one that I am not in.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Three great choices Keith.....

love all 3 of those aircraft, and how well they accomplish their intended missions...

great videos, although the French Skyraider was a little tough to stomach.... great aircraft ruined with French Markings... thought the Skyraider was the most effective support Aircraft of the Vietnam Conflict...same as the Warthog in Desert Storm and the Second Gulf War...

You needed to watch the video further wink

but maybe this will make up for it...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
oh, I watched the entire thing Keith...

Like the Limey waving the British Flag out of the cockpit of one in US Navy Markings...

I use to love Air Shows on base as a kid, where at times they would have one, with a full weapons store loaded on it... sure it was stuff that was decommissioned and dummy, but they sure looked cool fully loaded... the Skyraiders were able to carry more bomb load than a 4 engined B 17....

In Vietnam, they sure had a long loiter time on target...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A-10 and SR-71.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by teal
I'm not a big aviation guy, hell I live 40 mins from the EAA and have never been there but if I had to chose one -

Mostly because I am/was a squid.

That's okay.. I am more than making up for it, to fill the void...
and have been since I was 12 years old...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Another that inspired the imagination, and almost killed Yeager, NF-104A. Big brass ones to fly that bird. Must have been a helluva ride.

[Linked Image]

There was a very valid reason why they called it "The Widow Maker!"

Speaking with people who flew them the F-104 was very good inside the curve, but monumentally unforgiving. The thing with the NF-104 was that the rocket would push you to altitudes where the aerodynamic surfaces were ineffective, essentially you were flying a missile controlled by reaction jets. Hopefully.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PAMyers
The Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing is an American biplane with an atypical negative stagger (the lower wing is further forward than the upper wing), that first flew in 1932.The Staggerwing's retractable conventional landing gear, uncommon at that time, combined with streamlining, light weight, and powerful radial engines helped it perform significantly better than other biplane designs. Setting the standard for private passenger airplanes for many years to come. It was considered, during its time, to be the premier executive aircraft flying, much as the Gulfstream executive jets are considered in contemporary times.

[Linked Image]

Just needed a pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Any one of em that lands like it takes off, SLOOOWWW AND EEEASYYYYgrin

In that realm I guess my favorite would be the Fieseler Storch (stork) mainly because it looks so, um, ungainly with the extended landing gear. Excellent STOL characteristics. Looking up close at the gear you can see it was designed to handle rough fields very well. Of course STOL and rough fields was what it was designed for, and all the glass for recon visibility. Sure wasn't looks!

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a fan of about anything that flies but there are a few that when I see them, I have to stop, listen, and watch. I have a thing for the sounds they make. Pretty much like anything that takes to the air but a few that stand out to me.

P-51 I'd give my left nut for a 30 min flight.

B-52 Big hurt that just sounds vicious.

C-47/DC-3 Love those big radials. Get to see them often heading out to the bush doing cargo runs up here.

C-5 The big GE turbofans can't be mistaken for anything else.

UH-1 Huey Who doesn't like the sound of one?

F-22 Much maligned but still a very impressive aircraft that I get to watch fly nearly daily now that the F-15s have been reassigned. Their turbines make a howl that gives me goosebumps.

A-10 If I had been a pilot I would have loved to fly a flying tank.

SR-71 Never got to see one in flight but was an airframe that is still ahead of the times.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A3J/A5 Vigilante, the prettiest plane to fly off a carrier deck IMO.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F-14

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Grumman F7F Tigercat

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For the fan of the P-38 AND the fan of the P-51, North American introduced the P-82 just a bit too late to see service in WW II.

Two Allison V-12's with a top speed in excess of 450 mph

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by gunner500
Any one of em that lands like it takes off, SLOOOWWW AND EEEASYYYYgrin

In that realm I guess my favorite would be the Fieseler Storch (stork) mainly because it looks so, um, ungainly with the extended landing gear. Excellent STOL characteristics. Looking up close at the gear you can see it was designed to handle rough fields very well. Of course STOL and rough fields was what it was designed for, and all the glass for recon visibility. Sure wasn't looks!

[Linked Image]

Just a note; Baffled flaps allowed the Stork to fly at 19 mph.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's been a long damn while but, when I got out of the service and for a few years after I made a few jumps from these two.

A Norseman, only picture I could find is this military one, or those with floats.

[Linked Image]

and a Cessna 195

[Linked Image]

Phil

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 29 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.