Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I am going to go to Africa...where do I begin
Cost/ value. Outfitters. I've been to shows but they all say they are the best deal out there..

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went to Africahunting.com for the widest info available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend going to a show where outfitters are present. That way you can meet them in person and ask questions directly. I know when I did that, I came up with 3-4 outfitters. I spent a year whittling that list down. I just went on my trip in May, and couldn't be happier with my choice. I will go again! Here is my report.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...outh_African_Adventure_May_11#Post892797

I highly recommend Patrick Fletcher of Hotfire Hunting and Fishing Safaris.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/30/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Hay thanks for the links so how about cost range for a hunt like that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Hay thanks for the links so how about cost range for a hunt like that?

PM sent.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Contact JJHack here on the 'fire�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Lots of good-uns out there, but you want references before deciding. Ask for them from prospective outfitters. You could just start reading hunting reports at AR...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another good place to start is Namibia.Have heard nothing but good about virtually every outfitter there, while RSA can be more hit/miss�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't have the experience of most on this forum, but I've been to both RSA and Namibia lately. I'm going to hitch hike on what Ingwe said. With some exceptions like some places in the Eastern Cape, it seems that SA is mostly smaller high fenced properties, many of them on a "put and take" basis, much more the game farm mentality. Namibia on the other hand, while they do have some high fences, is generally much larger properties, not much of a garm farm mentality, and much less crowded than SA...2M people in an area twice the size of Texas.

Like someone said previously, go to DSC in January 2015 in Dallas and meet them face to face. Your "gut feeling" may tell you something and answer the question for you. Good luck with it and have some fun. Planning to go to Africa is great fun.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will add

There are many cost that aren't mentioned so be aware

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rain,

First you need to decide what you want to hunt.

Plainsgame, dangerous game ect.

Once you narrow that down then you can look at the different locations, outfitters and compare costs.

If you're looking at a plainsgame hunt to start with, I agree with most of the guys that Namibia is a great place to start.

Extremely stable country that very easy to get to and you can do some on-your-own sightseeing if you like. We rented a car after the hunt and drove all over the place and felt 100% at ease and comfortable.

As many have said, the DSC and SCI are two great shows to visit with people but the sheer volume of outfitters at the shows can be a bit overwhelming.

Good luck in your research and planning, that is a ton of fun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a first timer I would recommend that you go through a booking agent. They don't cost you anything and it gives you someone to ask the thousands of questions that will occur to you and they are close to your time zone and not out in the bush for 2 weeks at a time. If you contact a few of them and give them your wish list and what you would like as far as accommodations, tourist activities, etc. they can give you advice on which countries/areas have the game you would like and an idea of what to expect when you get there.
You are embarking on a wonderful adventure.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to go to Africa...where do I begin
Cost/ value. Outfitters. I've been to shows but they all say they are the best deal out there..

I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa at the moment waiting in the Bidvest Lounge to board a plane back to the states from a hunt in Namibia, both plains game west of Windhoek and in the Caprivi. The best deal is the one you choose and make the best of. I could have gone cheaper and that's what I would have gotten. I could have gone more expensive, but I don't know I would have had a better time. I made my mind up that I was going to have a fun and a good time and hunting was to be a bonus and that is exactly what I did.

I booked directly with the PH who I first met at the Dallas Safari Club in 2013, then went back in '14 to confirm everything - that I wanted to hunt with him.

We've had a great time and it was well worth it.

As others have said, you need to decide what you want to hunt first. I wanted buffalo so that's what I went for.

Again as others have said, there are other costs that will need to be taken into consideration that aren't always mentioned or thought of.

Of all the folks I've spoken with, none have been able to tell everything about what to expect. A large part of that is simply due to the huge variety of changing conditions that no one person can experience. I didn't bother to set expectations so everything I could have imagined was great or better than I would have imagined. I know, that doesn't make much sense but it's the best I can do for now.

I'll detail more it you care to PM.

I won't be back in the states until Friday morning so this is it for a while.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Rain,

First you need to decide what you want to hunt.

Plainsgame, dangerous game ect.

Once you narrow that down then you can look at the different locations, outfitters and compare costs.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would hope at this stage you have in mind the animals you first wish to hunt and I would also hope you have in mind the amount of money you are prepared to invest. When I started I picked a country that was English speaking as I am very poor with languages. Next I just looked at the ads in the Safari magazine of SCI. I wrote to 6 of them asking for all information of the offers they had telling them of the time period I was interested in. When I got the material I perused all of it in detail and called some of the references they provided knowing full well they would only provide acceptable references. Then I simply picked among them the one I felt most confident with. The trip was to Zimbabwe and fulfilled all my expectations. This was before the involvement of the internet in everything. Were I doing it today I would probably follow the same procedure

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
i agree with a lot that's already been said.

1. Decide what you want to hunt.

2. Check several African hunting forums[accurateloading.com is a good source]

3. Go to Dallas Safari Club, in Jan. Tons of outfitters, and not an expensive show. The three countries you will get the biggest band for your buck, will be RSA, Namibia, and Zimbabwe.

Two outfitters that I have hunted with, and both were excellent.

Cruiser Safaris, Limpopo, RSA for plains game.

Martin Pieters Safaris, Zimbabwe for dangerous game.

Both have web sites, look them up.

maddog

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't have the experience of most on this forum, but I've been to both RSA and Namibia lately. I'm going to hitch hike on what Ingwe said. With some exceptions like some places in the Eastern Cape, it seems that SA is mostly smaller high fenced properties, many of them on a "put and take" basis, much more the game farm mentality. Namibia on the other hand, while they do have some high fences, is generally much larger properties, not much of a garm farm mentality, and much less crowded than SA...2M people in an area twice the size of Texas.

Like someone said previously, go to DSC in January 2015 in Dallas and meet them face to face. Your "gut feeling" may tell you something and answer the question for you. Good luck with it and have some fun. Planning to go to Africa is great fun.

Excellent description and advice in all respects! All that I would add is that if possible, set aside a few days to see what you can of the country. Namibia has a lot to offer. BTW, it is said the seal population outnumbers the human population�.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
+1 on JJHack

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the responses and PM s. got more info than I can digest...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the responses and PM s. got more info than I can digest...

Haha, yeah and you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

You are entering a whole new world of hunting, and there is a heckuva a lot to know. Good thing is, it's a ton of fun learning the ins & outs of it all and things can vary from one country and local to another. You'll only ever skim the surface of what all is actually here. Just keep studying and once you go experience it you'll get the real education.

I'm in Joberg awaiting to fly to Polokwane and begin a couple weeks exploring the Limpopo and it's critters there. It's my 3rd safari but my first one in South Africa. My first 2 trips were in Botswana and my next one is coming up in October in Namibia.

Have fun with it!
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.