Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Utah -

Great story & pic.

Yeah, I can see the fuzzy white truck > grin.

Wow! did y'all drag or pack him out.

I knowwhatyamean... I quit hunting DOWN hill, unless I can get a 4 wheeler in there.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
We hung him overnight and took out the pieces the next day. There was another road that cut the vertical considerably.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good for ya!

What a relief......

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
When my son was a young lad he came to me one day and asked: "why do you keep that small buck rack tacked inside the garage wall?"

I told him it was because of a weird and funny experience with the deer.

During a Wisconsin deer drive I dropped standers off along a country road and parked my truck and moved east of the road with the rest of the standers until we got to the edge of a marsh.

Soon, deer pushed by the drivers began emerging from the woods and cross the open marsh towards us. A small buck and two does came within range like a prison break. I put the Savage 99 Lyman 57 sight on his shoulder and his front end dropped and he bulldozed a few feet and got up and ran into the small strip of woods along the road. A few seconds later I heard a crash, but did not sound like brush.

When the drivers emerged from the woods I followed up the blood trail of about 40-50 paces. The goofy deer was in the bed of my old 1947 Ford, expired. I had parked my truck close to a high, brushy sand bank which the deer sailed off of.

I began picking up drivers, standers and deer and they thought I had loaded the buck and made up a story. I showed them blood and deer hair on top of a side rack, plus horn or hoof skid marks on the truck bed hoping to back up my story.

My son eventually used the rack for a woodworking project in Boy Scouts.

[Linked Image]

Buck catcher/hauler
[Linked Image]

Wayne,
Awesome story - thanks for sharing. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ex-wife story: Hunting in Idaho in the late 80's in late whitetail season.

She is out to kill her first deer in years, and I am helping her. However, it's been on of those days, one of us would see a deer, the other wouldn't, and couldn't get a shot by either person. The deer droppings were still steaming in the snow, no sign of the deer in the clear cuts, and no binos to glass with. We had hunted from daylight to late afternoon in wet snow, freezing rain, and it was getting colder, and the complaint factor was getting louder.

We jumped several does and yearlings crossing the forest service road as we started driving out, and I went up the road bank into the timber with a 30-30. She was supposed wait off of the roadside with her rifle, and see if I flushed any out of the woods into the clear cut.

As luck would have it, I jumped a big doe out of the bush at about 15-20 feet, she ran right by me in the direction of the truck. I had a clear close and shot, shouldered the rifle, hammer back...click! Forgot to chamber a round out of the truck and after climbing the road bank. I hollared to the ex, no answer. So, headed back down to the road, to find her in the truck-too cold to hunt, and new deer tracks 20 feet behind the rear bumper...sigh.

After a brief and tense discussion, we decided to drive back to an access trail a few hundred yards behind us and walk for a bit to see if any more were moving in the area. I made sure we both chambered a round, and we headed up an old skid trail. She has a Mini-14, I have the 30-30. About 2-300 yards in, a buck and two does jump up 50-75 yards across a small ravine, and starting running down hill. It's an open shot, and the deer are moving slow, not in high gear. She pulls down on one, click, the bolt failed to strip a round, or it was short stroked with she worked the action. So, she's fumbling with the bolt, working the safety, and the three deer are about to disappear into the brush. I watch for another second or two, then throw up the 30-30 and touch one off at the buck. As I fire he drops his head and leaps up and over a log. He disappears behind a large willow bush as he lands, it's a snap shot, and I'm thinking I missed him clean, but we need to go over and check. Next think I know, she snaps the safety on, throws her rifle down, and annouces: "You SOB, you shot MY deer!" Huh!?!?

What I couldn't see, and she could from her angle, the buck had tumbled at the shot, and went tail over teakettle behind the bush. I have seen none of this and I'm trying to calm her down while she's cussing me up one side and down the other. After a few minutes of using my butt for a chew-toy, she's down a low boil, and we walk over to the other side of the ravine.

Sure enough, the buck is there, flipped upside down, dead as can be, a bullet through the head around the eye level. I had lead him way more than needed, but his head duck had worked in my favor. So, my first buck down was a moving head shot, dumb chit luck, and royally POed the "soon to be" EX.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/28/14.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My funnest deer was the 8-point who did a hilarious Robin Williams-like routine at the Comedy Store one night. You gotta like a deer who isn't too full of himself! grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/29/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The funnest deer is always your child's first or your friend's first, isn't it?

Thank God for whitetail deer.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roundoak, that is a great story!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The funnest deer is always your child's first or your friend's first, isn't it?

Thank God for whitetail deer.

My funnest is definitely my boy's first buck:

I had hunted the early muzzleloader season and called in a real giant of a 6 pointer during the pre-rut chase. I climbed down from my stand and walked to the deer. I was leaning against an oak tree admiring the deer when I heard leaves rustling in the beat of deer obviously trotting toward me. As I sat there with my dead buck, a doe comes trotting by at 20 yards with a really nice 8 pointer in tow. I had my rifle shoulder and was ready to shoot the buck (perfectly legal) when something told me not to. So I lowered my gun and watched the buck and doe which were now just standing and staring at me. Of course, when I lowered my rifle, they took off. I noticed that the buck had a broken G2 a little over halfway up the tine.

2 weeks later, during rifle season, I have my son with me in a stand about a quarter mile from where I shot my buck. My son was 12 years old at the time. I had chosen to hunt the stand due to the fact it was near a large bedding area and had room for 2. Acorns were scarce and a large Red Oak was dropping some mast close to the stand, so I figured it would be a decent spot. At about 4pm, I told my son that he better get quiet and keep an eye out. No sooner than I told him this, that same 8 pointer I had let walk during muzzleloader season came working over the ridge. My son stood with his Model 7 260 and waited for the deer to give him a shot. That deer walked right into an opening and started eating acorns. I was concerned because the stand was shaking. I looked down and the boy's knees were knocking-- serious buck fever. I calmed him by whispering to take his time and put the crosshairs on the bucks shoulder. About the time I finished whispering the gun went off and the deer crumbled.

I've had a bunch of fun deer hunts with my son, but that one will always remain the most memorable.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....5803366_e6f11ccd64454f843941efd57cb6e127[/img]
Finally got a picture of the twin bucks together today.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
18 or so years ago, I was sitting on a friends property, he lived in a subdivision that had 15 acre lots, and modest homes. His yard backed up to a horse farm, and the back 5 acres were wooded. He had a blind set up so any shot fired from it went into the hillside, so no danger there. His wooded area also was the travel route from bedding to feed for the local deer herd. Anyway, it was muzzleloader season, and I had a CVA .54 Hawken with me. Right at legal shooting light, I saw a buck walk by at about 35 yards. Sure enough, it was too dark to see the sights well, so as he walked past, I grunted a little. He came back in to look for the deer. we did this a couple times, until he gave me the shot, and I could see the sights. Not as well as I thought, because I missed the 45 yard shot through brush. As I reloaded and he headed out, I grunted again. He turned around and came to look for the deer. By this time I was loaded and ready, so I shot, and he ran off about 50 more yards. I could see him breathing hard and walking oddly. I grunted again, and he started walking back in again while I reloaded. at 30 yards, I shot again and put him down. While the first shot was a miss, the other two hit within an inch of each other, the first hit taking out lungs, the second heart. I just lucked out that he wasn't real bright, or was desperate for contact, because I grunted him in several times, twice after he'd been shot at. strange.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (219 Wasp, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 51 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.