Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Alright so I have yet another build in the works. A lightweight synthetic 9.3x62 to keep the AHR modified CZ company.

Last week I got my hands on a FN commercial
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's on the way to Mike McCabe to get a model 70 safety, cleaned up and trued. I had ordered a LW #718 barrel for him to install before I realized that I had a rare bird of an action that would cause a change in plans.

I found out that the 98 was Acme/square threaded with 10 threads per inch? Like an '03 probably to use up old stock '03 barrels?

Anyway I have decided to have Dave at IT&D rebarrel it.

After some emails to Ryan and subsequently Justin at McMillan I found out again my options are Mark X, Sako Classic and Sako Hunter. The Mark X and the Classic are almost the same stock but the Classic has a slightly lower comb that would be more conducive to irons. I was looking for more of an Express style stock with a shorter forend but none are to be had.

I also verified that they WOULD do and Edge fill for this build which was a relief because I was told they would not in a previous phone call to a different associate.

Inspiration was pulled from the 9.3x62 builds of Sidepass, Dirtfarmer and Sevens to name a few. With the finish of EdM's 416 and thoughts of Sactoller's Super Holland. Combined into ONE PERFECT RIFLE!

Here are the details:
FN Commercial 98
Model 70 safety
Timney trigger at 2.5lbs
Steel hinged BM
Douglas #3 1-12 w/ 1" shank cut to 23" but trimmed shorter for balance
NECG island rear with forward slant blade
NECG banded front
Mcm Sako Classic Edge brown w/ black speckles and red pad at 14.5" LOP

Topped with Mike Scherz custom bases
Talley QR rings
Scope TDB but probably a 20mm

By my math the bare rifle should come in right at 7lbs.
Compete action as seen is 45oz
Mcm should come in at 25oz
Barrel and sights in at 42oz
Bases, rings and scope should take it to 8lbs empty.

I was going for a Express rifle feel and style but the limited options of Mcm have me second guessing the barrel band. I had thought I wanted one. More for the look than anything but the loooong forend of the stock makes me wonder if it would look stupid if I end up balanced at 21" or so?

Last thought is metal coatings. I have no issues with blued rifles but I am wondering how Cerakote would hold up on the action and what on the action should or should not be done?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
'luk

Semper Fi

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
luk,

Sounds well thought out with great components.

Should be a winner. Looking forward to photos.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
DF, This post look familiar to you or something?

Semper Fi

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks like a great build. I wouldn't cerakote the action as I haven't had happy experiences with smoothness of cycling in coated CRF actions but otherwise I think you've got the blueprint nailed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perfect and wonderfully thought out, other than my not personally caring for synthetic stocks. I am also not so sure that a rifle with the recoil that a 9.3x62 is going to produce is going to be very comfortable to shoot at 7lbs. I would go with well sealed wood or laminate for warmth, looks and to get the weight up a bit but that is just me.

Congrats on finding that FN action. I traded into one a year ago and it is getting barreled to 257WBY right now. And, getting the model 70 style safety as well. Gentry in my case.

Sounds like a terrific and fun build you have going.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by haverluk
DF, This post look familiar to you or something?

laugh

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sounds like a nice build to me. Only two things I might change are a banded rear sight and, if you choose not to use a barrel band, get a brockman style front swivel. It mounts in the barrel channel and puts the swivel in front of the forend. Seen it used on a synthetic rifle trio build and looks really nice.

Recoil shouldn't be too bad. My 9.3 is 7.3 pounds without scope. I can't shoot it all day, but 10 rounds is no problem in a t-shirt and I can do a solid 20 rounds if I really concentrate and focus on holding the rifle tight.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Sevens,
Funny you mentioned that. When looking at a Sauer 200 this morning online I thought of the Brockman stud as well. I am thinking that might work. It would be a safe bet over the barrel band. Not sure it would attach well in an Edge fill stock? But I guess with a nice gob of epoxy it would be in for good.

Also would you use a banded rear with or without a lug? Both are available.

Semper Fi

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nicely spec'd build. I did a 35 whelen on an Fn action and it was one slick feeding rifle. At 8lbs scoped and 250 grain handloads it did kick a fair amount, more than I had anticipated. I would not want one lighter and if I did another one I'd be happy with slightly more weight and ensure the stock design handled recoil well. I had two different stocks on the rifle, a Bansner and a Rimrock. The Bansner handled recoil much better, for me, and would be what I'd use again on a similar rifle.
Personally, unless you are planning on a fairly long barrel I'd ditch the barrel band swivel idea.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
haverluk,

Here's some, I believe, McMillan's with the brockman. Very similar builds to what you are describing. Pics of fully stocked riles are about halfway down.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com...521/m/1331091961?r=6281051102#6281051102

And for the rear sight, I would use the banded rear without a lug. Not really necessary on a 9.3x62, especially in a synthetic stock. I just think the banded looks cleaner, although you will have to inlet for it on the stock. (ignore the recoil lug in the photo below, it's on a 416, but I think it shows off the clean lines of a banded rear really well).

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
The Bansner handled recoil much better, for me, and would be what I'd use again on a similar rifle.

Not to double post, but EdM has 35 whelen in a bansner stock that the he shortened the forearm. It's pictured in this thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8104565/all/Lets_see_some_big_bores

Since forearm length is a concern, might be worth investigating shortening the bansner. I've got one a M98 in 270 and like it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.375 FN with light barrel and bansner high tech stock:

6.5 pounds plus scope and mounts

[Linked Image]

.30-06 set up identically but about an ounce heavier:

[Linked Image]

Also have near identical .270 and 9.3x62. All weigh and balance the same.

Watch barrel and stock weight and these make nice rifles.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure it would attach well in an Edge fill stock?

The way I attach a sling stud to an Edge fill stock is to drill a 3/8" hole through the shell into the fill, about 3/4" deep. I then fill the hole with Acraglas Gel, making sure there are no air bubbles. When It's dry, I drill the glass plug to receive the screw in stud. Seems to work quite well.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
9.3x62 cz's are ~23.5"

That's what I patterned my sako 85 9.3x62 on, Darrn that gun writer...
smile

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks DF I will give that a try.

Spotshooter- How was the recoil of that Edge stock CZ 9.3x62 you had and how did it balance?

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine is a Sako hunter McMillan edge, with a 85 action, and it balances well, but it pushes a bit vs. kicking to hard. I use 250 grain TTSX in mine.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks DF I will give that a try.

Be careful that you don't crack the shell with a drill bit that grabs. Put the stock in a good padded vice and go slow with the drill, real slow as the hole reaches full diameter. That's when the drill bit tends to dig in and "grab" the material, which can crack the shell. Even if it cracks, you can fix it. Just more work. I switch my drill to low gear for more control.

The Edge fill is pretty soft, so go easy. And, be sure all the air is out of the Acraglas (or equivalent product) as you fill the hole.

DF

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The ingredients are terrific. My only concern is the felt recoil if it's too much. But that is fixable.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 08/10/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Phil Shoemaker has a really light weight M-70 in 9.3x62 with a Echols Legend stock. This gun has peep sights and is really sleek.

When asked about the light weight and kick, Phil make the comment that he carried it a lot more than he shot it.

So, that's one very experienced opinion...

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I put my post in the wrong thread

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/10/14.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (160user, 12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 22 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.