-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to purchase rainwear for my teenage son, who has just about outgrown his current rain jacket. The jacket will be used for fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

Being that he might outgrow this jacket in a year or two, I'm starting to scour the Internet for decent sales before Autumn. Cabela's has their Gore-Tex PacLite jacket on sale. Marmot Precip sales can usually be found at one website or another at different times throughout the year.

Also, LL Bean has a camo hunting Gore-Tex jacket on sale for $90. The original price was $199, but the few reviews are mixed. It's one of those "silent suede" type materials.

Anyone have suggestions on decent, reasonably priced, mixed-use, rainwear? Thanks.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Goretex will soak through a LOT faster, but it breathes better. I've never seen a packlite with pitzips. Precips always come with pitzips. I own an APCU packlite (never used it) and an ID Thru-Hiker. I usually grab a Precip (got two of 'em).

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Have the Precip.

Pit zips, self-stowing, decent in light rain, nice wind shell, and fairly durable.

$50 or so on sale.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd make sure any rain gear had pit zips. Beyond that, there are only two types that mean much. One is the soft shell type, which are "water resistant." That means it will soak through in a heavy rain. The others are the "hard shell" type. They will keep you dry in a hard rain.
But, w/o pit zips, the "inner storm" can make you just as wet as a soft shell if you are very active.
I've got a jacket with Gore-Tex PacLite that listed for over $300. But the military surplus EWS parka I had, complete with pit zips, worked almost as well. You mmight consider something like that. Heck, I'm considering buying another so I don't have to use my fancy Patigonia stuff for rough stuff. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In South Carolina as we speak in a downpour running an old Patagonia Ether (pretty sure it's PacLite) that does not quit.

Last week I ran the same Patagucci on Kodiak Island flyfishing in the rain.

I also used a Kuiu rain shell which was awesome, and since it's camo, it will finally replace the Ether in my hunting pack. I always carry a waterproof/windproof shell.

If you don't need camo, I do like PacLite.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like my PacLite !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, both the Patagonia and the Kuiu have pitzips.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, all. Now that you mention it Rick, I just received a postcard from Patagonia telling me that a web sale is starting this coming week. I'll wait to see if they have anything decent getting blown out.

I have $10 worth of LL Bean dollars and a 10% off coupon from Cabela's (expires soon). If I don't see anything in the Patagonia sale, I'll probably go with the Cabela's PacLite at an additional 10% off the sale price or look for a Precip sale (because of the pit zips).

I bought a new HH Impertech suit here in the classifieds a few years ago. It's definitely waterproof but not sure how it would work under stress. I've worn the bibs while sitting for turkey and the whole suit only while fishing from a boat. I haven't really used it during continuous physical activity.

I have several Gore-Tex jackets (insulated and uninsulated), and I have never been too impressed with their breathability.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't own a Marmot Precip but, I do have a lightweight Gore-Tex Pro-Lite shell with pit zips. It dries quickly and breathes/vents really well. It is my outer layer covering my down puffy when there is moisture. I have used it in rain, snow and when my puffy is just too warm. It is always in my pack. It is a Redhead brand sold by Bass Pro and was hesitant at first but, I'm glad I got it. I've put it through some rough hunting in CO and OK and it has not let me down.

Last edited by Biggs300; 08/09/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really like the MH Plasmic so far! Grab the Stretch Plasmic if you can swing it- unbelievably stretchy for a waterproof shell, and has pit zips.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have an opinion on this Cabela's Dry-Plus jacket? It's 54% off the full price and has pit-zips. It's $60, and I have a 10% off coupon, which puts it at $54.

This is for a teenager who may outgrow it in a year or two. However, I don't want to buy something that could ruin a trip.

Link:

Cabela's Dry-Plus w/pit-zips

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had Precip for 6+ years. After a while, maybe 3 years, it started to soak thru more quickly. A thorough treatment with ReviveX and it's actually better than new.

I think all these light weight rain gear materials can benefit from regular retreatments.

I also own an OR Foray jacket (pac-lite) that I couldn't pass up for $60. In terms of keeping your dry I think it's similar to the Precip. I would shop price and other jacket features because the materials are similar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Anyone have an opinion on this Cabela's Dry-Plus jacket? It's 54% off the full price and has pit-zips. It's $60, and I have a 10% off coupon, which puts it at $54.

This is for a teenager who may outgrow it in a year or two. However, I don't want to buy something that could ruin a trip.

Link:

Cabela's Dry-Plus w/pit-zips
That looks like a good price for a pretty good jacket! I can't imagine that wouldn't serve him just fine.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got lured in by the Cabela's sale and ordered the Cabela's Dry-Plus jacket with pit-zips.

I also found a Primaloft hoodie on sale for $50 and ordered that for my son too. For not much more money than the Cabela's PacLite jacket (no pit-zips), he'll end up with a hardshell and an insulating layer. I can always return/exchange them after we get a look at them. The items qualified for one cent shipping.

Link to rain jacket:

Cabela's $60 Dry-Plus Jacket with Pit-Zips

Link to Primaloft hoodie:

Cabela's $50 Primaloft Hoodie

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks. I just ordered the primaloft hoody

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You're welcome. So that's how to spell "hoody"....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You're welcome. So that's how to spell "hoody"....

Mark Twain said to never trust a man who could only spell a word one way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably to late but I bought the precip and thought it sucked bad. I'll send it to you cheap if your mad at your boy! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.