Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was looking at guns several years ago in a department store. They had just gotten in some newly-introduced Weatherby Ultra Lightweights. They had a .270 and a .30-06 side by side. I asked to look at the .30-06 and noticed the price tag in the trigger guard said $575, while the price tag on the .270 was $1175. I actually got into an argument with the dumbazz over the difference. He insisted that the .270 was the new Ultra Lightweight while the -06 was "just a Mark V."

So I bought the "just a Mark V." When they scanned it at the register it beeped $1175. Nope, it's $575, just look at the price tag.

I went home with the Mark V and he got fired.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a friend back in high school who was well known for telling tall tales. So one day he was telling us how he had gone hunting with a couple of guys whom we all hung around together and had decided to go deer hunting. The one with the tall tales proceeded to say how he had forgotten his gun so he was left back at the camp site and saw there was a dirt bike in camp. So he decided to take it out for a spin and saw a hammer laying around and had seen a deer close to camp. So he went to chase it on the dirt bike and had hit the deer on the head when he got close to it. We all started laughing and telling him how full of chit he was. Still laugh at that one.

MAGA! This is the way!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I was looking at guns several years ago in a department store. They had just gotten in some newly-introduced Weatherby Ultra Lightweights. They had a .270 and a .30-06 side by side. I asked to look at the .30-06 and noticed the price tag in the trigger guard said $575, while the price tag on the .270 was $1175. I actually got into an argument with the dumbazz over the difference. He insisted that the .270 was the new Ultra Lightweight while the -06 was "just a Mark V."

So I bought the "just a Mark V." When they scanned it at the register it beeped $1175. Nope, it's $575, just look at the price tag.

I went home with the Mark V and he got fired.

[Linked Image]

P

Dammit! Where is a dumbass like that when I've been looking at guns?! Nice rifle, and well, congratulations on the 50% discount.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Watched a guy behind the counter telling about a bullet that he designed and made for his 50bmg. The bullet had a hole all the way through the middle, which accounted for drastic improvements in BC. He didn't explain how he maintained chamber pressure with a hole down the middle of the bullet, and he had a pretty big audience, so I just left.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Phseller -

Good for you and the 'clerk'?, got what he deserved.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by ingwe
After 20 years behind the gun counter, Ive got a million of them�.

After about 30yrs on the other side of the counter, I have a few myself... laugh

No offense, wish I could find a guy behind the counter around here that had a little knowledge but wasn't a total prick! Either idiots or know-it-all [bleep] in 98% of my experiences.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

[Linked Image]

VERY neat!! THNX for the pic.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My former boss spewed so much sh*t from his mouth that I'm sure his arsehole was jealous. I remember him telling a tale of shooting a flying duck out of the air with a .264 Winchester. Naturally he shot it in the head to save the meat. I was with him on a dog drive once and witnessed him make a rather lengthy shot on a running doe with a 2 3/4" load of 0 buck. It was honestly probably close to 75 yards. Too far for the average buckshot slinger but I saw it. When we skinned the deer, we found one pellet in the carcass, right through the heart. TOTAL luck and we all knew it, except him. He proclaimed that he intended to heart shoot the deer (with 1 out of 12 pellets??), and every time he told the tale afterwards, the range increased. I think the last time I heard it, it was 200 yards....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I got in trouble when I was a kid and my dad hit me so hard, I got a speeding ticket going through Livingston...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
A True story about a True Dumb Butt.

A friend worked at a gun and gear store that a fellow bought his first semi auto 30-06. He'd never been around one and asked (axed), how does it work? My friend said, it's gas operated, to which the fellow 'axed' , "where do you put the gas in?

TRUE!

I believe it because I also had a guy ask if the Remington 1100 ran on unleaded and also asked where to insert it.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HuntnShoot: About 45 years ago I was told, by an older gentleman, that he sighted in his Winchester Model 94 Rifle in caliber 30/30 Winchester every year, by throwing empty beer bottles into the air and shooting at them!!!
This was so "wrong" on so many levels!
Even back then I was dumbfounded by his incrdible contention!
I think of it now and then when ever I see someone carrying a Model 94 and get a grin out of the memory!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And we've got the same dumbazz in our office telling the same stories again this year about killing trotting coyotes at 650 yards with his Winchester Lever Action Semi-Automatic in 7 Mag. Oh, I almost forgot - it's got a 36" bull barrel and a custom made muzzle brake with all the ports pointing up to keep the barrel down when he fires it. And he got tired of the lever getting in his way, so he had it removed and now it's just got an op-rod on the side.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
Had a counter monkey tell me once that the 7-08 was a "7mm Rem Mag, necked DOWN to .308 and would knock an elk on its ass at 1000 yards".

I think that's the worst one I've ever hear.

I sit here laughin' at all of these posts...but Teal I keep coming back to yours!!!! I believe there are times in our lives where a real authenticated, old fashion Bitch Slapping should be dealt to another. Yet outside of that, if you ever see that 'tard again, ask him from me, where I could score some belted 7-08, 7 mag necked DOWN .308 brass?!?! crazy

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
A fella was inquiring about a 280 a had for sale. He asked me what caliber a 280 was. I told him 7mm and he says, so its bigger that a 30-06? Huh?

Heard a man ask a gun store employee for a box of 120gr .273's. Pretty close I suppose.

My favorite was the guy who sold his 300 win mag because he never recovered a deer he shot with it. Claimed the bullet out of a magnum "is going to fast to expand". Wow a physics expert...

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Once had a guy tell me that it got so cold in Alaska that you could put a pot of boiling water outside in the cold and the boiling water would freeze so fast that the water would be steaming.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Once had a guy tell me that it got so cold in Alaska that you could put a pot of boiling water outside in the cold and the boiling water would freeze so fast that the water would be steaming.

Hey, that's my line, almost. I use a similar one frequently in the winter, "I stepped outside with a cup of coffee and it froze so fast the ice was still warm." grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I listened to a guy a few months ago regaling the counter leaners at a local shop about how he only uses a 20 gauge for birds, "cause it don't hurt the dog like the 12 gauge does."

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've heard of about twenty 30" mule deer.

Not sure I've ever seen one myself....grin

Fella that outfits hunts on Dad's place took a 32" - was on the cover of some magazine that I don't get.

BIG bastid !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I was reminded a while back of a story told, and claim made by my uncle and his good friend when I was a child and they were in their late 20's, were very much outdoorsmen, and heavy drinkers.
One of them got a 220 Swift, and then proceeded to shoot it at everything he could, extolling its miraculous powers. This went on for years, but one claim stands out: a one-shot kill on a bull elk at 700 yds. That is the story that they spread, that the Swift dropped the elk like lightning at a paced off 700yds. 50 gr factory ammo was used, Remington, IIRC.

There you go. I think about that story once a week or so, and chuckle. What do you have that beats it for outlandish BS?

can't "out-do" your story, but here's a tale.

about 10 years ago there was a guy at work who could tell some really tall tales--the sad part is, he actually believed they were true.

one such tale he told us guys on the jobsite:

"back in the days when i did security work, i caught a guy trying to steal some stuff. i went to put the cuffs on him, but just couldn't get the the bracelets on--he put up a real fight. finally, after a lengthy struggle, i gave up on the cuffs and reached into my pocket and pulled out a length of piano wire. i took the wire and looped it around his junk, pulled it up around his backside and on up around his neck, and man he began to cooperate just real quick like--and i shoulda done it sooner..."

now let's see--you can't get the cuffs on his exposed wrists, so you somehow manage to get a loop of piano wire around "items" that are covered by clothing. yeah sure...

we were all laughing so hard, it was impossible to work.

"wait until i tell ya bout the time i picked up a v8 engine block and set it into a truck bed--all by myself--cuz the other guy who was supposed to help never showed up..."

"or when i was Ken Norton's sparring partner..."

"or the time i ruptured a disc and it sounded like an ought six going off..."

he actually believed it all....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sounds like he may actually have been Ken Norton's sparring partner, at least long enough to get brain damaged into believing the other stuff.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.