-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put the 264 win against the wbthy with the vlds you mentioned, then come on back and brag results.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
The 257Wby with 115VLDs spanks the Creed with 140VLDs easily to 1k in terms of trajectory and drift, but I suppose one can milk the input any way he likes laugh

Reloader7RM,

You damned right it does,thus it's great affinity of gents who live/breath same! Belts or bust.

Well said................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rogue
Put the 264 win against the wbthy with the vlds you mentioned, then come on back and brag results.

Are you in a mood?...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long week in hill country, did get a serious tax rebate paid back in mostly MaDouce dunage. Barrels hot enough to melt the ice caps. Thinking it was mostly pretty epic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been contending surprisingly ominous weather here,suffered a brief reprieve today,so focused on Rimfires more than a bunch. Have those Bitchly Duties done,all new Lots of fodder are factored and come-ups jive with same...so it's ALL good.

When you've some time to kill,you'd probably better shout my way and we'll align R&R's,if only to the chagrin of Mall Ninja's EVERYWHERE.

The only thing you need to bring,is yourself,as I've a hunch all bases are covered.

'Cept a camera. I'm still saving for my first.................

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All over it. Cast and Blast of biblical proportions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If there was a Jeezus,he'd be CRYING now...at the Gawddamned NOTION................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My fingers are all healed up from springer season, will be ready to shread em up by this time next year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish I was responsible enough to proffer good suggestions in that regard...but I'm generally wrist deep in ripping out carnage and wondering EVERY time why I can't behave differently.(grin)

Do as I SAY...not as I DO.

Laughing...............

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a picture of the one I bought.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great choice fly! The 257 is a fantastic round. Some folks like to compare the 257's perf using lighter bullets, but the heavies are where it's at if you want to maximize the 257's performance(115 VLD, 115 BST).

Good luck with your new gun!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rogue

Typical Campfire response!He didn't even ask about the 264 Win!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would it not be rude,to not connect dots...for those that can't themselves?..................(hint)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually, the solution here is so simple that I am surprised no one else has suggested it... The OP needs to sell his 200 rounds of 257W. ammo, use the money to buy a plane ticket, move to another country where college is cheap, get a PH.d in physics with a heavy emphasis on ballistics, go through a machinists apprenticeship in the machinist's trade, and then research and develope his own cartridge.
Mother Mary in a motherhumpin' motorboat, the OP just asked about the wisdom of buying a 257 Weatherby, based on the fact that he has some ammo-to shoot at ranges less than 300 yards- And we get endless pages of G7 ballistic coefficients, drop charts out the wazoo, and "spanks this" and "spanks that" for eight pages. Are you guys trying to answer his question, or show off your ability to read a chart?
There are some things relevant to the OPs question that have been totally overlooked that are probably more pertinent to his situation than the G7 of every Berger bullet to the 6th decimal place- Like muzzle blast, cost of ammo after the initial 200 rounds are shot, barrel life and even more important, the selection of rifles available in 257 Weatherby and their handling characteristics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You burned alotta bandwidth,to correlate how very little you shoot or do.

Congratulations?

Personally,I wouldn't touch someone else's reloaded ammo with a 1000' pole and undoubtedly the bullets are junk to boot..............(hint)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I get that I shouldn't buy a rifle just because I have some ammo laying around. I have always thought about getting one so having the ammo was just an "excuse" for getting it, so I got one.

I never said that the ammo were reloads but if they were , I'm sure those "junk" bullets would still kill a deer at 250 yds.

I have to agree with ROYCE's post. I just wanted some basic info. Thanks everyone for the info that I got. But I should have know what this post was going to turn into.

Thanks again
Reno

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I seem to recall my having shot a 257Wby once and if that recollection is correct(of which I'm certain),the chambering might have been unforgiving on bullets. Read that again. Now one more time.

Those bullets are worse,the closer they impact Critters in relationship to the muzzle. Splashes are no fun. Read that again. Now one more time.

Finite headspace control,rates a serious thunk,for many reasons. Necking down 7mmRemmie Virgins to realize same,will bear lotsa fruit from the first poke. That despite your inability to grasp same. Read that again. Now one more time.

I savvy,that you sincerely wanted no more than you can savvy,but you are not savvy. Savvy? Read that again. Now one more time.

Now I'm the last guy who is going to try and talk someone out of a new Play Toy...though perhaps the first to connect dots. Read that again. Now one more time.

Bullets matter more than headstamps. Read that again. Now one more time.........(hint)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't give a schitt. Read that again..........(hint)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are going to tell yourself that a few million more times,before even YOU "believe" it.

I suggest you write more than a few things down and apply all of them.................(hint)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a .257 WM in a Vanguard. I liked it. It was incredibly loud but recoil was low. I ran 115 grain NBT's and 120 grain Partitions. They were both flat enough I never felt the need to go to the oft touted 100 grains. Always figured the 100's were just too fast anyway and would be harder on the barrel. I wouldn't be one bit afraid of taking a .257 Bee with 120 Partitions and hunting every animal in the lower 48 and most of the stuff that isn't.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.