-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Sauer 202 and the older 200 are take down, switch barreled guns. http://www.sauer.de/en/weapons/s-202-take-down.html

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure what you fellas consider "super accurate", but to me that's a pretty tough standard to meet. I've got a .270 and a Hornet that will, with handloads they like, put 3 shots pretty regularly in groups ranging from the 2s ( the .270) to about half an inch. That makes me happy, but I don't consider it to be "super". My late, lamented, Kimber Longmaster .308 would put 3 in the 2s and 3s on a good day (for me). That's getting there, but not quite. Show me something that will put 5 in a half inch or less on a regular basis and I'll be impressed.

I think Huntz got his back up because he mis-read my comment about Encores and thought I was dissing his babies. You mentioned custom barrels, but he and I were talking about factory models, or at least I was.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/09/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or even the buttstock off a Ruger No. 1, as I've done. Just about any rifle is a "take down" for travel purposes.

I've had a number of switch-barrel rifles over the years, using Remington 700, Winchester 70 and Savage bolt actions, and T/C and H&R single-shots. But today only have one switch-barrel bolt action, and am less and less enamored with the idea.

Even with the easiest barrel-change systems, the only really sensible way to change back and forth is with a scope mounted on each barrel, as can easily be done with a break-action single-shot. The Blaser system is the easiest bolt-action I've tried, but switching still takes far more time than a single-shot, and isn't cheap.

With typical bolt-actions screwing the barrel in an out takes time, and even if you have a scope in a detachable mount for each barrel the sight-in usually has to be tweaked after each barrel change.

You can save a little money by buying used or take-off barrels, but you still need headspace gauges, and unless you're happy only with one of the limited number of actions using barrel nuts, you'll often have to tweak the chamber with a reamer.

While there's nothing wrong with a Savage (or other barrel-nut action) another barrel and installation often costs as much as a Ruger American rifle or a Savage Axis, especially if you buy an American or Axis used.

Let me start by saying with the Blaser R8, I have "three rifles" for ~ 5k. I acknowledge that's not cheap by the standards of many. But about $1700 per is not outlandish among many in this group here either. That includes an original Pro model and two other barrels each with their own mounted scope (not included in the quoted cost above) which include a 243, a 30/06, and a 375 (including the requisite magnum bolt face-interchangeable). Blaser's proprietary rings/base set-up is a bit spendy but, and I could be wrong about this, Talley might be making a set-up for Blasers now.

Advantages are excellent quality overall, complete uniformity, with a great trigger and generally very good accuracy, and a very fast bolt repeater. There's another plus with this modular design--assuming one is right handed but you have a left-handed son or daughter, you can get a south paw bolt, and voila', they have a lefty rifle to use.

John, I don't know what your experience has been but changing barrels within a cartridge family involves loosening the two captive screws (can't lose 'em) in the for end after removing the bolt, and removing the scoped barrel. Place the next scoped barrel, tighten the same screws and replace the bolt. What? maybe a couple of minutes. When going from a standard to a magnum or down to a mini-, the bolt face needs to be changed obviously. This adds another minute.

The point is that it it not difficult or time consuming.

However, I'll admit to many here not liking the Blaser due to it's non-traditional looks. That's ok; folks have different tastes as to aesthetics.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, with the Blaser it doesn't take long to change everything out, even if you have to change the bolt-head. For general use, however, I'd probably go with a couple of cartridges with the same head-size, and maybe even the same basic overall length, so you wouldn't even have to switch out the inside of the magazine. It would be hard to beat a 7mm Remington Magnum and .375 H&H, though I'd be inclined toward a 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.

I'm testing an R8 right now, with barrels in .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum. Even switching the same scope/mount between the two barrels results in a point-of-impact within a few inches at 100 yards.

It would be great if Talley made rings for the R8.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, yes, I did forget to mention the magazine change, also not a significant time issue. Your point about same family (case head dimensions) and cartridge length is a good one too.

Edit: I'll be interested in your take on the R8.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/14/14.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For what it's worth, the Jackson Hole Arms switch barrel I have s very accurate with two of the three barrels, and If I worked up loads for the third I suspect it would be also.

But... I just have a deep seated aversion to screwing with a rifle once it comes down below and inch and is consistent about it. It's a lot of work sometimes to get there, and it takes all too little change to mess it up.

I do not swap out the barrels on this rifle because of that. bought the rifle because it was unique and worth having just for that reason. The "barrel nut" system on the JHA works very well, but it still mounts into the stock with the same action screws. Small changes to them can make substantial changes to groups. I would not buy one, no matter how easy it is to swap barrels unless it was just as easy to get the same accuracy and point of aim if my purpose were to have a number of working calibers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Merkel RX Helix that can be switched by hand, without tools.

I also have a KR-1, which requires an allen wrench to loosen/tighten two connectors which I owned before the Helix came out. The KR-1 is very nice, because the scope is mounted on the barrel, and there is no need to sight anything in each change.

222/223 rem, 243, 7mm, 30 cal and 9.3mm all on one platform. Magnums as well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah, for you lefties, the Merkel KR1 bolt is modular and you can switch out righthand and lefthand bolts on the same rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to admit that for me, the concept is less appealing because the area I live and hunt in has a limited variety of game, all easily handled by any medium power round from .243 to .30/06. If I lived elsewhere or travelled to far-off lands to hunt the big stuff, I might feel differently. As it is, I'm more likely to want to try a different action type than any particular cartridge since they all work pretty much the same when pointed correctly.

I can envision myself, when I get really old, carting around one of those wonderful little break-action single-shots in .308, 7X57, or even .243. Actually, I can see myself doing it right now; I just don't see the money!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
T/C is making a switch-barrel bolt gun that is just possibly the ugliest gun I've ever seen. They have a real talent for oogly, but this time they really outdid themselves. I think its called Dementia, or something like that.

Ugly? Oh Yes!!
Effective - VERY!

Beauty is as beauty does.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as you are happy, Friend, it's all good.

How many barrels do you have?

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.