Hop To
Page 1,409 of 1,842 1 2 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1841 1842
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I accept, I'm pretty busy

Wait, What? Are you replying to me about the elk thing? I thought maybe there might be a 5% outside chance. That's very cool of you Dave. And don't you love the creative editing feature on this board? wink smile

My boy and I are headed to the UP in the morning for a week of tent camping and fishing. Got the boat for big water...well, actually near shore Lake Superior and inland lakes. We'll try the skinny water around Hemingway's old haunts for some trout too. Bringing a .22 and some soup cans for some old school by gosh plinking. Going to hit the trails for some hiking too...maybe the Pictured Rocks area. We made up a bunch of frozen omelettes from recipes we found here on the 'Fire. We have venison brats, venison backstrap kabobs, smoked venison round, duck, and hopefully we get into some fish too. I've been looking forward to this all summer. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing that lift, I need to go buy a power tool.

Daaaaaamn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
made it out to my friends place to check up on our stands before season.
we no sooner had gotten near the soybean field,than out of the woods bolts a large buck in velvet,and runs down the length of the field (250 yards)and past one of our stand sites.
as soon as he hit the woods,here's, his twin brother running down the same row,disappears into the same spot.
haven't really seen many deer on this property,have only taken one doe in 4-5 seasons.Its surrounded on all sides by homes and farms,pretty broken up ,and overgrown with buckthorn.
maybe this year will be different.I don't know if they were big enough for the antler restrictions for me( 4 on one side) ,but my 17 YO can take any deer here.
phone cameras are way too slow to get a shot on running deer when they are close enough to actually see,but tracks don't leave. laugh
by some of the " evidence " left behind,they have been feasting on the wild plums plentiful on the property.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hope you get 'em Fluffy!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Wait, What? Are you replying to me about the elk thing? I thought maybe there might be a 5% outside chance. That's very cool of you Dave. And don't you love the creative editing feature on this board? wink smile

My boy and I are headed to the UP in the morning for a week of tent camping and fishing. Got the boat for big water...well, actually near shore Lake Superior and inland lakes. We'll try the skinny water around Hemingway's old haunts for some trout too. Bringing a .22 and some soup cans for some old school by gosh plinking. Going to hit the trails for some hiking too...maybe the Pictured Rocks area. We made up a bunch of frozen omelettes from recipes we found here on the 'Fire. We have venison brats, venison backstrap kabobs, smoked venison round, duck, and hopefully we get into some fish too. I've been looking forward to this all summer. smile

If you can dress down like me, (notice I didn't say "up") and talk/act like me well enough to fool my old man.... I'll hire you to go in my place, what was I thinking??? This hunt has me all stressed out. I want to go, but getting this business off the ground is crucial to our future and financial well being...

I'm stressed. crazy

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One down one to go . The next will be made from Mossy Oak cover OSB . I can already see a change for the next one too.
I made the window too tall and it exposes too much .

Next is what color to paint the inside ?

[Linked Image]

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cathy and I are just settling in after a weekend run to Alexandria to volunteer at a youth outdoors event headed up by Berettaman. It was a rousing success. I got to help out at a muzzleloading shotgun exhibit where the kids got to observe the loading of flintlock shotguns and got to shoot them. They had well over 40 different activities for the kids to witness and even a free lunch. All of this was free of charge, and the kids had a ball. Good job Dean. You reall hit it out of the park with this. I'll definitely be back next year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

If you can dress down like me, (notice I didn't say "up") and talk/act like me well enough to fool my old man.... I'll hire you to go in my place, what was I thinking??? This hunt has me all stressed out. I want to go, but getting this business off the ground is crucial to our future and financial well being...

I'm stressed. crazy

You're going to be just fine. You don't have it in you to be anything but successful with this venture. Jumping into the deep end of the pool can be scary, but your work ethic will carry you through. Don't fret.

Spend some time planning the hunt with your son - it's half the fun anyway! It'll take your mind off of things you can't control. Think of it, 3 generations of Shaws in elk camp for a week, those will be memories that last a lifetime. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Think of all those beer can's they'll have to pick up. grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Greetings from the Hot land in India. dave i think you may need a break after all the stress and time you've been putting in with the new venture..you deserve it man! It 102 degrees here right now and its hot. cant wait to get back to the mother land and start thinking deers....big white guys dont do so well over here. i'd like to be the one throwing down those beer cans Tzone! maybe they need chaperones.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good idea Bushy. Dave will need a camp cook !

Have Dutch ovens will travel!

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well if they need a place to layover my door is always open. I can promise a hot meal and place to rest on their journey.

Glad to hear the youth outdoors day was a big hit! we need to get more youngsters into the outside and away from the boobtube

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh I can assure you they need chaperones. Theyre won't be any though. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, looks just like one of mine. 'Ceptin, mine is blue & seems to look older.

Are you getting a drive on ramp hoist too ?

Oil changes, axles, hubs, suspension, diffs, exhaust. Dude, it all just got easier.

Probably even prepping & painting too.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh yeah, big time with the prepping, body work, rusty panel removal and replacement.

It's going to be awesome.

The 4 post type is on the wish list, maybe someday if we add on to the shop.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good. Will you change oil on my equipment too. Will it handle 45K#? I hope you have 14'+ walls.

Oil changes, and a lot of other things just got easier for me.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by White_Bear; 08/25/14.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will gladly dump some ice water on your head for payment.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Drumroll please........final tally: 542 kids! First ever event! With parents and helpers we were over 1000 people. Many thanks to Gophergunner for his (and his wife's) help!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Drumroll please........final tally: 542 kids! First ever event! With parents and helpers we were over 1000 people. Many thanks to Gophergunner for his (and his wife's) help!
Great job, Berettaman. You guys missed out on a really good time. I was really impressed with how well this went for a first time event. The variety of stuff they had for the kids to experience was truly impressive. Equally impressive was the fact that this was all free-including a lunch! There will be a Correction of Errors for next year, but I can't believe that list will be very long. These guys really did this right.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Man that's a great turn out! Congrats B-man. I know you worked pretty hard on putting some of that stuff together. Excellent work to all who were involved.

Page 1,409 of 1,842 1 2 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.