Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I've killed deer,elk,jackrabbits,coyotes and antelope with the 7mm 160 gr NP, so far no complaints yet. wink Used the 160 gr in 7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm Dakota.

In the 7mm Dakota I'm now using a 140 gr NBT as it's new role is for deer and antelope. It has a Leupold 4.5-14x on it also. The Leupold CDS is also gone.

[Linked Image]

To your last point,if you can't hit it,you can't kill it. Baring something out of the shooters control ie..wind,animal moving,hit a twig/branch etc...

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I decided to use H4831 to reduce the effect of temperature. It was 99 degrees and I worked up to Noslers max of 59.0 grs. with both bullets. I liked the accuracy better at 58.0 grs so I backed down to that but I had no pressure issues. I like that both bullets hit pretty close to the same point of impact. A six shot group using 3 each Accubond/Partition came in under 1 1/4 inches as I think the partition may center just a bit to the right from the Accubonds but I can live with that.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've killed over 30 elk with the 160 Partition out of a 280 RCBS. Ranges from 50 to 600 yds. Have also killed elk using the AB, I much prefer the partition especially at shortest and longest ranges. I like how the nose of the partition opens up at long range. Its base punches through at short range.

They say the AB performs like a NP, I've not seen it. I don't trust the AB for a shot up the six either.

For large mule deer or elk at any angle the 160 will better the lighter ones in penetration in my experience.

The 175 NP at 2,800 doesn't slack either. The 280 AI can handle that bullet great too. Don't overlook it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35

They say the AB performs like a NP, I've not seen it.

This has been my experience as well. I feel the AB is much more Ballistic Tip in performance than a Partition.

I've had nothing but great experience with the 160 gr. NP.

The 160 gr. AB gave me some great results, but with enough exceptions to steer me away from it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
KCBighorn,

I've used Partitions. I know they work. Ballistic Tips do the job on mule deer. I have some AB's, but I've yet to try them. In fact, I ain't yet loaded any.

On my upcoming elk hunt, I'm going with Partitions. It will be a de facto once-in-a-life trophy hunt for me. I can't risk screwing it up. So I'm going to load 150 grain Partitions for my .270 Win. I already have a lot of 160 grain 7MM Rem Mag Partition rounds loaded.

BTW, were I to use factory ammo, I'd use Core-Lokts.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
elkhunternm,

I will write that you do have good taste in rifles. That Dakota has a gorgeous stock.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Got a call from the farmer that has the property next to mine. He said the hogs were all over. I took the 280 and parked my truck just below the graveyard, walked out 75 yards or so and put a five gallon bucket of soured chicken scratch out. Right after dark a bunch of piglets and a couple sows headed directly for my bucket. The biggest sow was only 150 pounds but that didn't stop me. Just after she tipped over the bucket I shot her thru the head. No real bullet test just a dead pig but the Accubonds are accurate.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think they designed the 160 Partition...and then someone made elk to kill with them.

Excellent!!!........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alpincrick: With a 7 RM and 160 NPT, there isn't any "7 Em Em, shoot 'em again"... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I think they designed the 160 Partition...and then someone made elk to kill with them.

Excellent!!!........

I have heard that said in Australia deer camps in relation to the .270 and the Red Deer.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Excellent!!!........

I have heard that said in Australia deer camps in relation to the .270 and the Red Deer.

John

John I guess those guys in the red deer camp don't follow the CF.....they must be too busy killing animals! grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
practice putting whatever your choice in the right spot and all will be well. There is a ton of Elk killed each year with 100 grain Broadheads, I suspect your Partitions will do pretty well.

Randy

Last edited by rta48; 08/19/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Excellent!!!........

John

John I guess those guys in the red deer camp don't follow the CF.....they must be too busy killing animals! grin

There it is again...the 270 butts into another 7mm thread, acting like it belongs. It's like the little brother that tags along, no matter how much it gets picked on! I hate to keep reminding people, but that .007" difference in diameter can mean the difference between lost game and recovered game. I saw it several times in my youth!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jason that's because the 270 is "7mm".

It's mostly all twist and boolits grin

(That should liven things up!) whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd worry a lot more about finding an elk than I would about whether to shoot an accubond or a partition.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I'd worry a lot more about finding an elk than I would about whether to shoot an accubond or a partition.

That is my experience. Can usually find them when carrying a camera but not when carrying a rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I gotta get my ass in gear and load 150 grain .270 Win Partitions and try 'em. My elk hunt begins on Sept 13. I damned well better be ready.

I think I'm going 59 grains of R-22. A 150 grain .270 Win Partition ought to rearrange an elk's blood oxygenating apparatus.

John I guess those guys in the red deer camp don't follow the CF.....they must be too busy killing animals! grin [/quote]

There it is again...the 270 butts into another 7mm thread, acting like it belongs. It's like the little brother that tags along, no matter how much it gets picked on! I hate to keep reminding people, but that .007" difference in diameter can mean the difference between lost game and recovered game. I saw it several times in my youth![/quote]

This coming from someone who advocates the use of 7mm match bullets on elk? Give us a break.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes but one interesting separation between the .270 and 7mm rem doesn't get mentioned often, the fact that the Remmy can propel 175 grain bullets down range at the same or higher velocity than the .270 can propel 150's.

Much higher BC and SD if you are so interested and more thump upon arrival.

Now, does that matter?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pack_Hunter

This coming from someone who advocates the use of 7mm match bullets on elk? Give us a break.....

My comment was made in jest, but you taking it as attack is telling. I don't think there is much difference between calibers from 243 to 323 when an expanding, heavy for cal bullet at moderate to high velocity is put into the heart/lungs of any of the game in the CONUS. Is there any real difference? It isn't quantifiable by several measures, including wound measurements. The only real difference between 7mm and .270 cals is the heavier bullets that are standard, due to generally faster twist rates in 7s. The 270 is the stepchild here on the fire, and I like to read the prodding that goes on from both sides, both pro- and anti-270. It is fun for me because what is really being arguing is our own histories with guns, hunting, and lore.

As far as using match bullets on game, well I do it, but I don't advocate for it, nor do I proselytize. Use what you want? Why would I care? I do try to inform, especially when confronted by someone who throws it at me like an accusation. You, I'm not going to bother with.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,931
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.