M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
mart,

There is NO "advantage" of a Blued/Walnut Seven,over a Montana. That in balance/handling,weight,twist rate,ergo's,throating,scope mounting or durability. Read that again.

Now to cripple those inherent heavy concessions even further,you've added schit mounts and schit glass...which is THE Dirtiest Of Tricks. Only move left in order to connect all of the Hilarity Dots,is to feed it some schit brass,schit powder and schit bullets,which also seem to be of keen interest to you.

Punt while you can and thank me later.

Hint...............

I guess I'm behind the power curve here. I didn't remember asking how blued, walnut Seven compared to anything else. I bought the rifle because it was a good deal and it will serve my wife well for fur hunting. As for the scope and mounts, the rifle is just as I bought it. I didn't buy it for the glass or mounts, and in fact I'll probably change them out. And your brass and bullets comment has me scratching my head.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mart,

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Its harder to find a powder that won't work in a 223, then it is to find one that is better than all the rest....they are all pretty accurate in the 223...even really slow burning powders...

We all have favorites...lately for velocity and accuracy, my choice has been H 322... one of our Eagle Scouts got one for Graduation present, and has been over here learning to reload...

based on J Barsness recommendation on line here and availability at a local gun shop, we have been loading 53 grain V Maxes behind a charge of 25 grains of TAC...he's been assassinating gophers on his family's farm out to 300 plus yards with a lot of precision...

he's also had to put down a couple of mom's goats, that are just sick due to old age... he's been eyeing out his second story bedroom window waiting for a coyote or two to show their faces now...

All the powders you mentioned ( before the campfire's comic relief/village idiot invaded your thread) will work just fine in your Model 7....

I have about 9 223s but my favorite for walking is my Model 70 Featherweight..., when I rebarrel it, it will have a one in 7 twist put on it...but now with 63 Sierra SMP and 70 grain Speer SMPs, it will knock the crap out of any blacktail ever to walk the forests and hills of Oregon...and with 40 grain V Maxes, and 40 grain Varmaggeddon tipped bullets, it wasted a 1000 or so of Klamath County Sage Rats this summer.....

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a brief encounter with the 223 in a Ruger Mini 14 many years ago but never loaded for it. I've owned and loaded for most all the 22 centerfires other than the 223.

I'm not at all concerned with getting top velocities, and don't expect them from this short barrel. The rifle will be for fur hunting, lynx and fox primarily, and be for my wife when she accompanies me, or one of my friends who doesn't own a varmint gun but would like to try calling this year.

It would be great if the AA 2495 turned out to be a really accurate choice. I bought a bunch of it when I couldn't find any H4895 last year. I've since found plenty of H4895 but would like to keep it for my Whelens. As for bullets I have a lot of the Sierra 55 grain Gamekings, a bullet I like for fur, but may try some of my home made 52 grain HP from 22 LR cases. I have a ton of them but they need to stay around 3000 fps or less or they want to come apart prior to impact. They may be a bit too explosive for fox.

Used to make the annual pilgrimage to Klamath County for our yearly matter splatter. I lived in Eastern Washington at the time and one of our good friends lives in that area. We got together every year to shoot ground squirrels. My wife shot a very heavy old push feed model 70 in 222 that was a one hole gun. She about wore that gun out shooting squeaks. The last couple of years we did that the Nosler 40 Btip had just come out. Turned that 222 into a squirrel exploding machine. She loved it when they got some hang time. If they just fell over she was a little disappointed.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Seafire

I have about 9 223s but my favorite for walking is my Model 70 Featherweight..., when I rebarrel it, it will have a one in 7 twist put on it...but now with 63 Sierra SMP and 70 grain Speer SMPs, it will knock the crap out of any blacktail ever to walk the forests and hills of Oregon...and with 40 grain V Maxes, and 40 grain Varmaggeddon tipped bullets, it wasted a 1000 or so of Klamath County Sage Rats this summer.....

I have to agree. The SMP is a hell of a bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mart,

Slow down,shut up,copy/paste/print and apply. Hint. The sooner,the better. Re-hint.

You are soooooo farrrrrrrrrrrr behind the curve,it's amazing.

Cracks me up,how the densest of Dummies ask STUPID questions,get facts handed to 'em on a silver platter and take offense. Read that again. Now one more time.

Now if you are in a Turd Polishing Tournament for giggles,I'd say you are gonna take the Gold.

Congratulations?!?.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Stick,

You have an interesting take on things. I knew I wasn't an expert in this matter. I didn't realize I was so ignorant. Thank for bringing me up to speed.

My apologies if I conveyed any sense of offense at your so well delivered advise. I'll strive to demonstrate greater appreciation for your obviously expert opinion.

I can only hope to stand in the shadow of man such a yourself.

My humblest regards.

Mart

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I should charge you for the accelerated Learning Curve...but my gracious nature is boundless.

Can only lead you to water,but rest assured I'm laughing my ass off,that you are farrrrrrrr too STUPID to drink.

You are doing great and I can't wait for the next installment of "How To [bleep] Up a 223"!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
I can only hope to stand in the shadow of man such a yourself.

Even late in the day, a common garden gnome doesn't cast much of a shadow.

laffin'

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Stick,

I can appreciate a lot of the humor or what passes for humor on this site but I have never attacked anyone on this site or any other for that matter.

As far as I know we don't know each other and really don't get where these personal attacks are coming from.

Are you one of my former clients? That's the last time someone hurled insults at me like this. But they were behind a cell door and we referred to them as cell warriors. They were surprisingly polite when the cell door opened.

Mart

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just ignore him...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Just ignore him...

.... but he's fun to play with! grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nahh...picking on the touched never was much fun for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love the avatar and I'm really "surprised",you skirt ALL things The Rifle.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mart,

Noone can make you look like a dumber [bleep] than you,so I reckon you've them sweet "satisfactions" to bask upon? Congratulations?!?

Schit rifles,bullets,glass,mounts,stocks,twist rates,etc...ain't subjective. You have simply assaulted yourself,with your own amazing Stupidity,by unleashing your "best". Not a very pretty picture,is it? Hint.

"Personal"? Hardly. Dumb [bleep] simply dumb schit,as you oh sooooooooo eagerly communicate obliviously.

Take notes,apply same. Hint.

Or find me "mistaken" and I'll happily rub your nose even further in your amazing stupidity......................(wow)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll feign my "surprise",that yet another Clueless Twit is on the cusp of playing Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Ohhhhhhhhh ANYTHING but that!

Laughing!................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I may be allowed to interrupt Big Stick's apparently endless and pointless rant, my powder choices are as follows: H335 and BL(C)-2 for the great little Nosler 40 grainer; Varget for the 55 gr bullets; AA2230 for the Sierra 65 grain GK; and H335 for the Nosler 64 grain BSB.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like you've done a bit of reloading and shooting. Any pressure problems with the H335? Especially on a hot day or prolonged shoots ( like PDs..)?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pressure problems? That's what TAC is for.....(grins)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sounds like you've done a bit of reloading and shooting. Any pressure problems with the H335? Especially on a hot day or prolonged shoots ( like PDs..)?

Yep, had more than a couple of incidents with 335 and 90+ degree days. Usually when working with max loads.

Swifty
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep, had more than a couple of incidents with 335 and 90+ degree days. Usually when working with max loads.

I experienced such an issue in my 22-250.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,895
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.