Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of Ayoob's caveats is the anecdote of a homeowner who shot an intruder with birdshot, apparently from somewhat further than ten feet away. The perp survived, but horribly disfigured and permanently blinded.

According to Ayoob the homeowner did not face a criminal penalty, but was ruined financially in civil court when sued by the intruder whose maimed visage swayed the jury.

Perhaps #4's in a good compromise, I'm wondering if #2's wouldn't be even better, short of OOO buck.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vote republican in November. Purge the Democrats from the Senate.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I wasn't crazy about the bayonet-mounting apparatus on the muzzle but otherwise a really liked the Russian SKS I had.

One problem with stock SKS's however is the firing pin. As the bolt slams into battery chambering a new cartridge after firing the inertia of the firing pin, which has no recoil spring, will carry it forward and ding the primer of the new cartridge.

Mine did that, to the point it was a wonder it didn't fire the new cartridge.

Not surprisingly there are a bunch of reports of that happening; either two rounds in quick succession or a whole ten-round clip, full auto.

With that free firing pin they can reportedly also be made to inertia fire if the rifle is dropped.

At the height of the SKS years at least one maker was offering a spring kit to be installed around the firing pin to alleviate this problem.

Birdwatcher

there are a lot of firearms that do NOT have a firing pin return spring, not just the S.K.S.
A lot of these slamfiring episodes in a s.k.s. can be traced back to the owner NOT cleaning the cosmoline out of the channel the pin operates in. It just stick out and slams into the new round.
Translated a lot of people never bothered to clean the gunk out of the gun then are surprised when it slamfires. I have loaded for both the garand and carbine for years without specific hard military primers, without issue. But then I am seating the primers deep to avoid high primers.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Has anyone shot a 150gr or heavier bullet in the sks?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Vote republican in November. Purge the Democrats from the Senate.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Many years ago while visiting the old family farm in NY I took the buckshot out of a factory shell and split them with a chisel, part way through. Then I crimped them on a piece of stranded wire and stuffed it into the shell.

It took several attempts but I finally whacked a woodchuck at about 20 yards with one of them as he left his burrow. It almost cut him in two, with just a shred of hide holding fore and aft together. The whistle as that string left sticks with me to this day, more than 4 decades later...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody knows a CX4 Storm 9mm Rifle using frangible ammunition is the best home defense every invented

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Perhaps #4's in a good compromise, I'm wondering if #2's wouldn't be even better, short of OOO buck.

I ain't compromising with anybody that invades my house. Birdshot might penetrate, buckshot will. Shoot buckshot. Our house shot shucker is a 20 gauge with but #3 buck in a 2 3/4" hull. But I have no doubt it'll ventilate you well across the living room.

edit: Oh, that being said, as a mere teenaged child suffering boredom I once or twice competed with my peers to see how big a pine sapling could be shot down with #8 shot. Seem to remember it'd chop a 3" to 4" trunk at about 6 feet. But it wudn't trying to kill me.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think most of the birdshot damage is from the wad. I do believe in giving my house guest and neighbors a little consideration.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That little wad with almost no weight and arms designed to spread out and catch wind... is going to do the most damage???

Thinking that is a fail...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think you get the point, don't use birdshot unless its encapsulated to expand on impact.
I'm not much on shotgun in urban areas but I guess buckshot in the country or a mosque is ok.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/21/14.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I think most of the birdshot damage is from the wad. I do believe in giving my house guest and neighbors a little consideration.

Disagree in full. whistle

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think you get the point, don't use birdshot unless its encapsulated to expand on impact.

Huh? lol. No offense, but it's clear you aren't a scattergun scholar, friend. 'Expand on impact'? lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not much on shotgun in urban areas but I guess buckshot in the country or a mosque is ok.

Having shot a LOT of fur with shotguns and ruined more than some at distances I thought long enough I can assure you loose birdshot at close range is prone to doing serious damage...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Even with buckshot in fairly close quarters, it very rarely stops immediately. Point blank, yes. Use birdshot if you want but if the bad guy is shooting back, more power to ya.

the length of an average 2500 square foot house can render your #6 shot ineffective.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/21/14.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
P.S. Anyone taking an ounce+ of lead/steel/other at close range needn't be worried about any expansion issues harming him. The 500 grains +/_ of metal humming along at around 1550 (speed of my waterfowl loads I use most) hitting him is what he ought to be terrified of.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It really depends on the load and the distance. Granted you are facing average crackheads but the closer you are to bad guy with your long gun the more things that can go wrong for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kamo, Your ignorance makes me laugh.

http://www.tacticaledgeproducts.com/shotgunammo.html

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Kamo, Your ignorance makes me laugh.

http://www.tacticaledgeproducts.com/shotgunammo.html

Ooh look, it's TACTICAL shotgun ammo, designed to come apart on impact! grin OK, killer, you win.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We can talk about it here over a beer and a football game

http://www.polcarisbridgwayeinn.com

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.