Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Were pathways normal, no PVC would occur.

I just want this saved for later. wink

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm uncomfortable with the way you chose to phrase that. I would rather you said that the path of the nerve signal, rather than that of the PVC (which seems a bit nonsensical to me) being defective is what triggers the PVC. Were pathways normal, no PVC would occur.

Go back and google the PAC part. It might help you figure out why you are wrong.

Hint: people with normal conduction systems in their heart have PVC's.

Seriously, google what the normal electrical pathway is, think about the PAC vs PVC thing, and maybe STFU until you know what you are talking about. There is a reason why people talking about this stuff use very specific language. One cannot opine in an intelligent manner without knowing the language.
I would disagree that an instance of normal signal travel through the heart could result in a PVC, since a PVC is premature by definition, and thus not normal.

Since you won't even agree with me on the meaning of normal in this context, however, I'm not sure of the utility of discussing it further.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Were pathways normal, no PVC would occur.

I just want this saved for later. wink
By all means.

Have a great evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just keep digging Hawk, you're the only one this makes sense to. There is no defective pathway in a PVC. There is nothing defective, because a PVC isn't a defect.

Your insistence in arguing a point of which you're clearly not informed is staggering.

Hey, why don't you tell us all about perfusion of PVC's while you're at it?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
There is no defective pathway in a PVC. There is nothing defective, because a PVC isn't a defect.
What amazing nonsense.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Premature Ventricular Contractions. I was a paramedic for 14 years. PVCs were a big bugaboo for us.

Some patients routinely had PVCs and just lived with them. In other cases, a pt. is having 15 PVCs a minute, he has about 2 minutes to live. We see that, on the scene on our portable heart monitor, it is time to start an IV and administer drugs.

PVCs always get the attention of the medics.

Hope yours turn out ok.
Unless that medic's name is Kevin Gibson, AKA GunGeek. grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Premature Ventricular Contractions. I was a paramedic for 14 years. PVCs were a big bugaboo for us.

Some patients routinely had PVCs and just lived with them. In other cases, a pt. is having 15 PVCs a minute, he has about 2 minutes to live. We see that, on the scene on our portable heart monitor, it is time to start an IV and administer drugs.

PVCs always get the attention of the medics.

Hope yours turn out ok.

Exactly. Kevin's and Goalie's PVC's are "normal". You can't make this schidt up.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Exactly. Kevin's and Goalie's PVC's are "normal". You can't make this schidt up.
No, indeed you can't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would disagree that an instance of normal signal travel through the heart could result in a PVC, since a PVC is premature by definition, and thus not normal.

Since you won't even agree with me on the meaning of normal in this context, however, I'm not sure of the utility of discussing it further.

OK, I am going to be nice and tell you something so that you can stop saying things like "normal signal travel through the heart could result in a PVC." The path an impulse travels has nothing to do with why there was an impulse in the first place.

Also, go look up the PAC thing. Those actually do travel the normal pathway, they just occur "too soon" to be considered NSR.

But, again, to be clear: I have never said, nor will I say, that any pathway RESULTS in a PVC. We've already listed the CAUSES of PVC's in this thread. Most are benign, some are really, really bad. But, in 100% of them, THE PATH THEY TRAVEL IS NOT WHY THEY OCCURRED, but, simply the way the electricity travels through the myocardial tissue after the impulse is initiated for XXX reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So, Mr medic, does the route a PVC travels CAUSE the PVC like Hawk says?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Again, goalie, if I can't even get you to agree with me on the definition of normal in this context, there's little point in you and I discussing this further.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Trigger is a better word.

PS In place of "PVC travels," above, I would prefer "nerve signal travels." Your phrasing seems awkward, if not nonsensical, to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PVCs are a result of inefficient or improper transfer of electrical signals between nerve cells specializing in maintaining regularity of heartbeat. Your pathways are defective, so you want these signal transfers to operate as efficiently as possible for your defective pathways.

FWIW, this statement, not your "drink V8" advice, is what brought me in. It is a factually incorrect statement. It demonstrates what I consider the pinnacle of dangerous in medicine: a small amount of knowledge, with the belief that said small amount is a lot.

By definition, a PVC is NOT a "pathway" issue. It is when the ventricles of your heart stimulate contraction WITHOUT stimulus going through the normal pathway (SA node to AV node to ventricles), but I'm sure you knew that. PVC's are not preceded by P waves because they do not begin up in the SA node, which happens to be in the atrium. They are PREMATURE, which means that they occur WITHOUT stimulus at all from, as you described them, "inefficient or improper" signals. They are a separate area (or areas, depending on morphology of the widened QRS, although one can have a single focal point of QRS instigation with polymorphic QRS waves if the signal is taking a different pathway each time the ventricular pacemaker fires) that is actually firing too early and independently of those "improper" electrical pathways you described.

PVC's can be related to many things not pathway related. You can have no aberrant condution issues and have massive PVC issues depending on metabolic issues, poor perfusion, etc....

Again, what is your experience? How did you come by your extensive knowledge of the cardiac electrical conduction system?

Just a little bump from page one. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Triggers is a better word.

OK, we can work with that. TAK, do you really agree that the route the electrical impulse will travel through the ventricles after an impulse is initiated TRIGGERS the PVC?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

PS In place of "PVC travels," above, I would prefer "nerve signal travels." Your phrasing seems awkward, if not nonsensical, to me.

That is because you are ignorant of what we speak. I stick to using terms that are in common use in, oh, a cardiac cath lab or ICU. Your terms belong in your parents basement.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That is because you are ignorant of what we speak. I stick to using terms that are in common use in, oh, a cardiac cath lab or ICU. Your terms belong in your parents basement.....
Not sure that's correct. "PVC travel" is nonsensical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There are many reasons one can have PVC's. I'll try to name a few here:

caffeine
cocaine
alcohol
cardiomyopathy
hypoxia
deep suctioning that stimulates the carina (we mess with new ICU nurses by doing this on vented patients then acting alarmed)
thyroid issues
valve issues
ischemia of cardiac tissue
psych medications (tricyclics IIRC, but could be wrong on type)

But, I'm sure you already knew all that. Just like you keep trying to act like something being hyper-efficient is the same as it being inefficient. Inefficiency in the cardiac conduction system would be anything from a common elongated P-R interval (1st degree block) to a complete A-V disassociation (3rd degree block) and they are usually manifested by delayed or slowed beats, not faster ones, you know, like PVC's.

So, again, keep digging. It makes you look reasonable, intelligent, and capable of learning. Really, it does. Honest.

laugh

I figured I would quote this, since some people are making assumptions about the discussion and seem to not be aware that CAUSES of PVC's have been discussed (and ignored by TRH) and they don't include the route they'll take AFTER they are initiated......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hawk, the PVC is initiated for one of the many reasons stated in the post above. It then (the PVC) travels through the ventricles of the heart. As it does so, the heart muscle (depending on time since last depolarization) contracts.

So, yeah, the PVC travels through the ventricles of the heart.

Maybe, just maybe, the fact that me saying that seems nonsensical to you would make you think about your knowledge of the subject. Or lack thereof.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I figured I would quote this, since some people are making assumptions about the discussion and seem to not be aware that CAUSES of PVC's have been discussed (and ignored by TRH) and they don't include the route they'll take AFTER they are initiated......
The problem here is the logical defect from ambiguity with relation to the word "cause." Causation can be distant or proximate. The causes you're discussing would fall best into the prior category. What I've discussed (i.e., defective pathways) falls into the latter. You're not wrong in your stated causes. It's just that they're more distant causes than those I was discussing.

For example, you could say that a car accident was caused by the driver having one too many at the bar before he got in the driver's seat, or that the car accident was caused by the driver losing control of his vehicle. Both are true. One is more proximate, however, than the other. Even more distantly, you could say (and be equally correct) that the car accident was caused by the man's inheritance of the tendency towards alcoholism.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
LOL

Woke up to this chit.

You two fellers are still at it?

... gotta love the web!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 66 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,804
Posts18,536,630
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.