Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thinking of geting a weatherproof stock for some as yet purchased rifle and don't want to spend the money on a McMillen or even a B&C Medalist. I really like the wood stocks but know laminates are superior for wet weather. So should I?

HR IC

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
up to you. i do like them but they are heavier than synthetic. i am sure all the "experts" here will crap all over them, but it's a nice choice for a rifle that doesn't need to be super light, or for a rifle that no-one makes a stock for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put one on my Rem. 700. Quality wise it was good. Action and barrel dropped in, no inletting work was needed.
The stock was very heavy and I didn't care for the way the gun balanced. The other thing I didn't like was I didn't getting checkering on the stock which made it very slick.
I would look at a good synthetic stock and be done with it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have about 15 of them.... but then I love Hogue Rubber Stocks also.. having about 10 of those...

my choices on stuff isn't in the campfire Majority however...

but both of those stocks serve me very well...

guess I don't need a wimp sized stock, because I am not a tough guy who can't carry a rifle that weighs more than 6 pounds out in the field all day....

The Boyds I have all are well made and the fit and finish on the rifle once installed is fine.... they also hold up well, as I have had mine out in some real harsh wet weather...Oregon Monsoons....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let's see one of the 25 rifles cited,with a decent Critter.

Thanks!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
.... but then I love Hogue Rubber Stocks also.. having about 10 of those...

First time I have ever heard someone say that. I actually threw a Hogue rubber stock away...it was that bad.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John in MS;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well on this calm Sunday evening.

Just this summer I put an older Browning BBR into a Boyd's Centurion Stock which was made for a long action A Bolt. Because that took a wee bit of modification I played with the wood substrate more than if one was doing a straightforward install/bedding job.

So based upon that sample of exactly one, here's what I'd say.

The laminated wood was softer than I thought it was going to be and I'd surely recommend epoxy bedding anything that has a recoil level that exceeds say a .308.

That said, I've never seen a good bedding job hurt anything so I am predisposed towards them.

On this stock I thought the finish wasn't as tough as say one would find on a Remington or Browning with a wood stock.

There was no finish to speak of on the interior of the stock and while I didn't test to see if it would absorb water, I'd guess that it likely would.

That all said then, if I was going to use a laminated stock in really wet conditions, I'd recommend an epoxy finish on the inside surfaces and consider additional finish on the outside as well.

It would be my opinion that any laminated/wood stock will not be as waterproof as even a low dollar injection molded plastic unit.

Anyway sir, again that's based upon working with a single sample and only my opinions on the subject. Hopefully the information was somewhat useful to you or someone out there. Good luck on your stock whichever way you decide and on your hunts this fall too.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/24/14. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're cheap. If your expectations aren't too high, you'll feel you've spent well.

I've got two and am happy with them both; a walnut on a Zastava and a laminate on a Vanguard.

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the poofy background.

[Linked Image]

You can probably tell from the coffee table I don't care much if my stocks get a few scratches.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by Seafire
.... but then I love Hogue Rubber Stocks also.. having about 10 of those...

First time I have ever heard someone say that. I actually threw a Hogue rubber stock away...it was that bad.

Well there are a lot of people who like to follow the crowds, and use what everyone on the internet "SAYS" is popular...

Then there are a few guys in the crowd and like what they like, and don't care if it is popular or not...cause they are the one that is using it... and have no qualms about saying they like it... whether it is popular with others or not...

Next time you got one ya wanna 'throw away', let me know... If I can't use it, I can sure find a young man ( usually a Boy Scout ) who certainly would be delighted to have it...

cheers and have a good day...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mornin' John.

Good to see you're alive and kickin'!!

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

K
KPW Offline
K
I have one on my Ruger MKII .220 Swift and had a neat P-64-actioned carbine in 9.3x62 in a much customized JRS model.

I currently have 27 synthetics and do prefer these, BUT, for certain projects the Boyd's can be used to build some fine rifles.

I am considering having my lovely original Oberndorf Type B-9.3 restocked in a modded one of these to get a higher comb, as I had it d/ted and EAWs/Leupy 4x mounted.

Kutenay

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is mated to an Interarms Mark X action and fluted semi-heavy Krieger barrel chambered for 6.5-06AI.

Heavy but I like it a lot. A tad fat in the grip area. This is a target rifle more than anything so the weight is good.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
Mornin' John.

Good to see you're alive and kickin'!!

Best,

GWB

Thanks Glenn....appreciate it...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes they are a great value. A bit on the heavy side as all laminates are very dense and loaded with epoxy. That also makes them very stable for a long range platform.
The prarie hunter is the one I like has the forend milled out for some weight savings and you can also remove some wood from under the recoil pad with a forester bit..
If you strip off the finish and use permlin finish they turn out really nice...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have owned three or four:

> Good value for the money.
> All of mine have been drop in fits. tho I may have had to scrounge longer action screws once or twice.
> Heavier than other stocks. Could be good or bad depending on application.
> Slick if not checkered.
> Somewhere in the past year, they started offering a custom "configurator" that lets you order the stock and options that you want. Very handy when needing a short LOP for a grand kid, or a soft cushy recoil pad.
> Offer a fair number of LH stocks for both LH and RH actions.
> Also offer a number of "ambi" stocks that are easy to shoot from either side (especially 10/22's).
> Finally, they are wood. If you don't like the thick, wide, angle, you can take a file/rasp/SureForm/Dremel/belt sander and make it the way you want. Can't do that with the fiberglass shell stocks.

Is it a McMillan ? Nope, but it is only 20% to 25% of the cost of a McMillan...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plywood trumps living wood.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For tightwads....they're good!

Ya ever see a man what bought a PU that said he didn't like it??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Know a lot of people that really like theirs. I wasted money on one, once.

Replaced it with a Micky. Save up if you have to and buy what you actually want, you'll always save money in the long run.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have owned a couple both since sold with the rifles. I worked mine over heavily leaning them down both externally and internally a bunch as was pleased with the outcome.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laminate is better suited to Heavy Platforms...rather than Light.............

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.