-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im a clinical pharmacist with 20 years experience.

I don't take vitamins or fish oil. I do drink a beer a day though. Whatever that's worth. ( I'm sure nothing)

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by smokepole
All Omega 3's and all "Omega 3 eggs" are not created equal, so read the label and see how much DHA/EPA vs. ALA you're getting. According to this, some "Omega 3 eggs" are produced by feeding hens ground flaxseed, and have a lot more ALA than DHA, which is what you want:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ice-or-marketing-gimmick/article4574714/
I'm speaking of hens that spend the day on a natural pasture, like mine do. Tests have shown that hens raised in this way reliably produce eggs with about .66 grams of Omega 3. That's triple the amount found in standard grocery story eggs. This is due to the consumption of natural wild foods such as bugs, grubs, seeds, and wild greens.

Yes, I understand, you don't need to repeat yourself.

What percentage of your hens' omega-3's are DHA/EPA?

For that matter, what percentage of people reading this live where they can raise chickens in their back yard?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Barleans user, here. They're spoda be real clean about toxins. Hell, they've even submitted to testing by the International Fish Oil Standards Program.

Yeah, sounds like utter bullschidt, but here it is. I've never had a fish oil burp with any product, ever, so I don't know about those.

I hate taking pills, in general, but these aint bad, I don't have to take too many, or too often, and they make both the wife & the Dr. happy. If the fish pills allow me to be around long enough to return aggravation to my children, I'm all for 'em!

As a teenager, I remember my dad chuckling at how many pills his FIL had to take each day. Now Dad takes as many, if not more, than his FIL ever did. As for me, I'm willing to take a few non-Rx pills, if they'll keep me from needing many fistfuls of the the Rx kind.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 08/28/14.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That Carlsons I bought is on that list too under JR Carlsons Labs. That Barleans seems like good stuff, if you get the high EPA/DHA stuff. Otherwise theres much better options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How did our ancestors survive without all of these pills?

Actually, they died young as a rule. The life expectancy of white men in the US in 1900 was 50 years, with 51 years for white women. Non-whites were less.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by hatari
Omega-3s have been proven to be a benefit. By your numbers, you need to talk to yout MD about some statins.

No way im taking statins. Seen enough BS from them in relatives. No one in my family, on either side, tolerate them at all for some reason.

I get the Rhabdo side effects and can't take statins. Wish it were different. Zetia has been a good option for me.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I get the Rhabdo side effects and can't take statins. Wish it were different. Zetia has been a good option for me.

Same with my family. That and sugars start running abnormally high, and dizziness. My dad went the red rice and niacin route and everything fell into normal range. Dropped the niacin and added fish oil and is maintaining nicely. His wife did the same. Now his cousin didnt fare too well with the niacin, gave him problems for some reason. Hes been on fish oil and red rice yeast and is now in normal range too. I hope it works for me. Got the red rice yeast sittin here, but im gonna stick to the fish oil for a couple months and see what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with it! Keep you weight in check and watch alcohol consumption. Some people can have raised triglycerides on a small amount of alcohol.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pahick
Now his cousin didnt fare too well with the niacin, gave him problems for some reason.

Did he start with a low dose, and build up? I had problems with it too at first, dropped down to a lower dose and gradually worked up, problem was solved, for me at least.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
All Omega 3's and all "Omega 3 eggs" are not created equal, so read the label and see how much DHA/EPA vs. ALA you're getting. According to this, some "Omega 3 eggs" are produced by feeding hens ground flaxseed, and have a lot more ALA than DHA, which is what you want:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ice-or-marketing-gimmick/article4574714/
I'm speaking of hens that spend the day on a natural pasture, like mine do. Tests have shown that hens raised in this way reliably produce eggs with about .66 grams of Omega 3. That's triple the amount found in standard grocery story eggs. This is due to the consumption of natural wild foods such as bugs, grubs, seeds, and wild greens.

Yes, I understand, you don't need to repeat yourself.

What percentage of your hens' omega-3's are DHA/EPA?

For that matter, what percentage of people reading this live where they can raise chickens in their back yard?
You can find someone who sells them, too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How did our ancestors survive without all of these pills?

Actually, they died young as a rule. The life expectancy of white men in the US in 1900 was 50 years, with 51 years for white women. Non-whites were less.
Not because they didn't have access to vitamin pills. First of all the average lifespan figure was massively skewed by infant mortality rates, which were extremely high. Then, there was no emergency medicine, so serious injury almost always resulted in death. Then toss in the lack of indoor plumbing, public sanitation, hygiene knowledge/practices, etc., and you've accounted for the vast majority of the 50/51 average lifespan pre-Twentieth Century.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have salmon twice a week smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

One last thing on this. I think it shows a basic lack of understanding of agriculture in the US. Earlier, you threw out the general advice for people to eat eggs for their omega-3's instead of fish oil. For the vast majority, that means eggs they buy in the store, from commercial producers.

At the scale they need to run to be profitable, and the numbers of birds they need to raise, how much "natural wild food such as bugs, grubs, seeds, and wild greens" do you think they get to eat?

Or put another way, if you raised thousands of birds, how many days would it take for them to deplete your pasture of these foods? One, maybe two?

So commercial producers use supplemental feed like flax to get the Omega-3 content. Which is all ALA. Which is why fish oil is better; it's not.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

One last thing on this. I think it shows a basic lack of understanding of agriculture in the US. Earlier, you threw out the general advice for people to eat eggs for their omega-3's instead of fish oil. For the vast majority, that means eggs they buy in the store, from commercial producers.

At the scale they need to run to be profitable, and the numbers of birds they need to raise, how much "natural wild food such as bugs, grubs, seeds, and wild greens" do you think they get to eat?

Or put another way, if you raised thousands of birds, how many days would it take for them to deplete your pasture of these foods? One, maybe two?

So commercial producers use supplemental feed like flax to get the Omega-3 content. Which is all ALA. Which is why fish oil is better; it's not.
Your problem is that you're stuck in a centralized way of thinking, i.e., some massive producer needs to provide you with all your food. If there were no massive producers, maintaining small flocks on small pastures would be common, and excess eggs would be plentiful for sale to those who didn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your problem is that you're stuck in a centralized way of thinking, i.e., some massive producer needs to provide you with all your food. If there were no massive producers, maintaining small flocks on small pastures would be common, and excess eggs would be plentiful for sale to those who didn't.

Your problem is you don't know half as much as you think you do, and you're stuck in la-la land.

You threw out general advice, to a general audience, about substituting eggs for fish oil. It was bad advice, just see if you can bring yourself to admit that. If everyone who eats eggs took your advice and starting buying locally from small farms, the supply would be exhausted very quickly. So it's not a viable solution for most people. Everyone could also move to Alaska, become a resident, and net enough of their own wild salmon to last all year. Also, not a viable solution.

So, in general, eggs are not a good substitute for fish oil, as far as a source of Omega-3's.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Your problem is you don't know half as much as you think you do, and you're stuck in la-la land.

You threw out general advice, to a general audience, about substituting eggs for fish oil. It was bad advice, just see if you can bring yourself to admit that. If everyone who eats eggs took your advice and starting buying locally from small farms, the supply would be exhausted very quickly. So it's not a viable solution for most people. Everyone could also move to Alaska, become a resident, and net enough of their own wild salmon to last all year. Also, not a viable solution.

So, in general, eggs are not a good substitute for fish oil, as far as a source of Omega-3's.
My advice is to individuals, any who'll listen. It's not actually possible to effectively give advice to entire societies. Any individual who either starts acquiring their eggs from those who raise them rather like I do, or gets their own small flock (a dozen or so) on an unused acre of pasture, will receive the benefit I said they would, so my advice wasn't wrong by any reasonable standard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

you do realize we went to massive producers cause the little guys couldnt keep up with demand....had the lil guys kept up the big producers wouldnt have had a niche.....given ive actually spent a couple months on an organic farm(ScottF's) there is alot of chit going on there you cant comprehend....real phugging easy for something to happen and the supply disappear....hell for awhile that i was there they were barely producing 4 dozen a week and those were for sale leaving the rest of us sometime no eggs to eat ourselves...wasnt till the last few weeks i was there that egg production kicked back up and there was a surplus for those of us on the farm

the big guys have a place, you live in a dream world with no real world experiance

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder what my Homeowners Association is going to say when my rooster starts waking everybody in the neighborhood up at 5 am? wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wonder what my Homeowners Association is going to say when my rooster starts waking everybody in the neighborhood up at 5 am? wink
They probably won't like it.

PS I was concerned about that, too, which is why for years I only maintained hens. At some point a rooster belonging to my neighbor crossed the road to get to the other side, and (to his great joy) discovered my flock of hens. He's been a happy rooster back there with them ever since, and yes he does cock-a-doodle-do every morning at first light.

Neighbors don't complain, though, as they enjoy the eggs from my hens. I perfectly understand, however, that a small flock isn't practical in a gated community type setting, but that's the case mainly due to societal attitudes, i.e., there's no practical bar to it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rattler
....you do realize we went to massive producers cause the little guys couldnt keep up with demand....

exactly. TRH's suggestion of buying locally-grown eggs is good, but not everyone can do it, and the buyer still won't know the Omega-3 content because the buyer can't know what the chickens were fed.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1234, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 21, 2500HD, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 3,526 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,816
Posts18,536,768
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.