Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Couldn't you just turn the knob to the end of its travel?

No. The side focus will adjust beyond infinity, some by quite a ways.

There are 2 images in the optic we need to get focused, the reticle and the target image. Not everyone focuses the reticle in the same optical plane. The side focus (Target image focus) need some adjustability in the scale marking to allow for different reticle focuses.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Conjoin a schit stock with a 4.5-14x and there's gonna be much Fluff requisite.

Funny how it actually works................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by esmith
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
You don't see it, but he's trying help you.

Parallax adjustment has backlash. Lets say that you get parallax removed at 400 yards and then slip the ring so it aligns to 400 yards. You will not be able to adjust it to 400 yards later and it be parallax free at 400.

Yes, well, some guys seem to let confidence become arrogance. If he knew the answer he could have said it. Instead he did what he did.

My knowledge is exactly what the write-up I posted above says. It also says there is backlash in the mechanism, so you have to start at the travel stop past the infinity mark, and dial back to remove parallax. The settings won't always be the same for various shots, but it will get you close. So my understanding is that the best way to remove parallax is always to dial back while moving your eye around a bit to make sure.

The knob realignment is really just an OCD thing to make a person feel better. But, there you have it, and my original question on this particular scope.

You are on the right track. The reason there are set screws on the side focus is allow an individual to realign the scale after he focuses the reticule to his eye.

Just loosen the screws and the side focus dial will spin free and allow you to set the scale. Your issue is trying to pull the dial out, there is a flange on the focus shaft that requires you to back the set screws out further to completely remove the focus dial.

I always set my focus dial so the infinity mark is properly aligned. It is not an OCD thing. I don't want to be fiddling with the focus when it is time to shoot and simply dial to infinity for any shot on game past 400yds.

Finally. Thanks for the response. Your post is exactly what I had intended. Last night I went so far as to completely remove the set screw from the knob. For some reason it would not disengage from the shaft and free wheel independently. Hence this thread.

Well wouldn't you know I pulled it out of the safe earlier this morning and tried again. Set screw partially out and the knob easily came free. So I took it out and matched it up with infinite distance = no parallax. Problem solved. Must have had an odd bind yesterday.

Two pages of know it all nonsense but finally someone gets it. Why anyone would not realign the knob is beyond me but if they can read they'd eventually catch up.

Good grief.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone "stumped" with side focus...is gonna be forced to wait for someone as phuqqing stupid as they are.

Glad it worked out.

Laughing!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then "infinity" isn't infinity.

The whole thing sounds like a "but these knobs go to eleven" situation.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder who chews her food for her?

Wow...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally. Thanks for the response. Your post is exactly what I had intended. Last night I went so far as to completely remove the set screw from the knob. For some reason it would not disengage from the shaft and free wheel independently. Hence this thread.

Well wouldn't you know I pulled it out of the safe earlier this morning and tried again. Set screw partially out and the knob easily came free. So I took it out and matched it up with infinite distance = no parallax. Problem solved. Must have had an odd bind yesterday.

Two pages of know it all nonsense but finally someone gets it. Why anyone would not realign the knob is beyond me but if they can read they'd eventually catch up.

Good grief.

No problem. grin

You are also no the right track with the backlash. Always focus from far to near. The focus mechanism is pushing the lens elements forward that way and will hold them in position against the recoil.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then "infinity" isn't infinity.

The whole thing sounds like a "but these knobs go to eleven" situation.

Not at all. Focus adjustments go beyond infinity in all optics. Go have a look at your spotting scope and binos. All will allow you to turn the focus past the point where the system is in focus, for your vision, at infinity.

If manufactures installed a hard stop to the focus then some users would not be able to focus. I have 7 diopters of correction in my right eye and have a drastically different focus uncorrected.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No schit?

Wow.

Laughing!..............

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Good grief.

No problem. grin

You are also no the right track with the backlash. Always focus from far to near. The focus mechanism is pushing the lens elements forward that way and will hold them in position against the recoil.

These guys keep beating a dead horse lol. The write-up I posted on page 2 clearly explains what they keep trying to figure out. Face to palm...

My Leupold VX-3 is a POS to some. Fine with me. The prairie dogs don't seem to mind dieing in its view.

Most of the usual helpful folks must be on vacation. Glad to see some still post to help though. Cheers.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are at the mercy of your faculties and you'd do well to keep that under the rug.

Laughing!..................

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

AKA: "yak yak yak, I have no respect and people still need to pay attention to me. I probably know a ton but what comes out is arrogant blather."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooooo hard!

Yet another AMAZINGLY Clueless Dumbphuqq,flaunting the "dreaded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore!

Holy schit...what a rugged bunch you "hard charging" Infinity Phuqqers are.

Wow...................

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The knob on my 4.5-14x40LR doesn't have a scale with various yardages marked, just some lines with an infinity symbol on one of them.

Since with this type of knob we're interested in dumping backlash, and we always want to come down to whatever setting we arrive at, why not just turn it to the stop, dial down until everything is copacetic and quit there, scale be damned?

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
The knob on my 4.5-14x40LR doesn't have a scale with various yardages marked, just some lines with an infinity symbol on one of them.

Since with this type of knob we're interested in dumping backlash, and we always want to come down to whatever setting we arrive at, why not just turn it to the stop, dial down until everything is copacetic and quit there, scale be damned?

Same marks as mine. You are perfectly correct. Its just a minute personal preference detail. The way to remove parallax doesnt change. Makes no difference other than your knob markings should be closer to actual representation.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Focus adjustments go beyond infinity in all optics.

Buzz?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Montivigant

Buzz?

I've been thinking it too - having to fight the temptation to lob a cartoon all day....

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Montivigant

Buzz?

I've been thinking it too - having to fight the temptation to lob a cartoon all day....

David

laugh

It helps if you read the thread. I will quote what I wrote above to save the time of writing the exact same thing twice. cool

I always set my focus dial so the infinity mark is properly aligned. It is not an OCD thing. I don't want to be fiddling with the focus when it is time to shoot and simply dial to infinity for any shot on game past 400yds.

You are free to do whatever floats your boat but Leupold designed the side focus dial to be set for an individual's vision. Some of us use that feature.

Good Luck grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

It helps if you read the thread. I will quote what I wrote above to save the time of writing the exact same thing twice. cool

The hell you say. Part of the entire point of posting on a gun forum, which is helping others if not just mutual admiration of the hobby, is READING much less Comprehending other people's entire posts? What the heck?

You are free to do whatever floats your boat but Leupold designed the side focus dial to be set for an individual's vision. Some of us use that feature.

Good Luck grin

Yeah, funny thing there is a set screw right there... it must be set at the factory right? Better leave it alone...

You can lead a horse to water sometimes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to beat a good Cartoon Lob..................

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.