Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Still debating which one to get for my Daughter and Granddaughters. First one would be the Savage Lady hunter because of stock design and accuracy reputation. Second would be the Tikka youth. All the Tikkas (7 mags) are great shooters and a lot less money than the Savage. The last one would be the Weatherby Vangard youth. Don't know anything about how they shoot but I do like the raised comb on their stock. I do question their two stage trigger though. Anybody had any experience with them? Opinions please.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with the Savage Lady Hunter but Savages belonging to friends that I have shot all shot very well.

My two Tikkas, 22-250 and 25-06, both shoot extremely well. They have the slickest actions of any rifles I own, have great triggers, and are lightweight to boot. Tikka would be my choice of your listed options.

Had a Vanguard S2 in 257Wby. Great rifle and I really liked the 2 stage trigger. However, it was heavy. Much heavier than my Tikkas.

Another suggestion that you didn't list is a Marlin XS-7. I got one for a friend of mine last year in 243 and she loves it.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have a vanguard youth in 243 and is a great shooter. FYI, they have trimmed the reciever on that model nicely.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I suggest you let the ladies in question handle each, and make the decision theirs. Sometimes women key off totally different things then we do, and if they are not happy with the rifle, they won't shoot it.....and there you are, shooting alone....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Good suggestion, but the problem is that I can't find a lady hunter in Northern CA for them to try. My Daughter loves her Tikka 7 mag as she has taken two Deer with it but I would like to see her have a rifle that fits her better for our Blacktail hunting we do here as shots can be fast and furious. I do like the Triggers on the Tikkas over the accu-trigger though. I think the biggest problem I'm having is that many retailers out here do not want to stock any of these rifles as they are afraid they will not move. Its a shame as I feel the number of Women hunters and shooters is increasing yearly. The manufactures realize this but the retailers don't. Keep the suggestions and opinions coming.

Last edited by coyote268; 08/23/14.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So, I take it the stock is too long for her. Is it riding wood or synthetic, and how much growing does she have left?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Montana...................(hint)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 77 and my Daughter is 49, but my two Granddaughters are in their low twenties. I've been a hunter all my life and am a retired gunsmith. I am just trying to make sure the girls have the right equipment. They all hunt Deer, Turkey and Pigs. I'm blessed to be able to enjoy the outdoors with them as the pleasure I derive from it. Not many families have three women that enjoy the outdoors and hunting. My income is pretty limited so I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck yet get them rifles designed and built for women. The bottom line for me is they deserve the best for the pleasure and fun I have had hunting and enjoying the outdoors with them.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My wife has a ruger American in 7-08 and its a very nice rifle. Accurate,light and comfortable to shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by coyote268
I'm 77 and my Daughter is 49, but my two Granddaughters are in their low twenties. I've been a hunter all my life and am a retired gunsmith. I am just trying to make sure the girls have the right equipment. They all hunt Deer, Turkey and Pigs. I'm blessed to be able to enjoy the outdoors with them as the pleasure I derive from it. Not many families have three women that enjoy the outdoors and hunting. My income is pretty limited so I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck yet get them rifles designed and built for women. The bottom line for me is they deserve the best for the pleasure and fun I have had hunting and enjoying the outdoors with them.

Montana.

Re-hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Pre-enjoyed, hack saw, recoil pad......

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A used Montucky 7-08 is tough to score and I'd not hack saw same,as the ergo's and LOP are rather orgiving for all.

I'm still in The Business of buying "bad" Montana's that "don't shoot".

The pickin's is wellllllllllllllll beyond slim...................(grin)

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Now, Stick, you should not say that. Some might think you are implying that with some load develpment, and perhaps some minor tuning they might all work.
No, no. It's always the rifle. E

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Wow Stick, those puppies are out of my price range.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by coyote268
Wow Stick, those puppies are out of my price range.

Nor do they address your ergonomic concerns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Factored over several lifetimes,they are inexpensive at TWICE the price...............

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
One of the LGS has the Lady Savage in stock. I could stop by with one of my daughters sometime this week let her handle it, and get a ladies opinion on the ergonomics for you.

It would give me a good excuse to check their powder inventory.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never understood folks handing schit off to the kids,that they KNOW better than to slum themselves?

DIRTY trick..............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Factored over several lifetimes,they are inexpensive at TWICE the price...............

After you price paying for the cheap schidt 3 or 4 times and still aren't happy with the results, then FINALLY, buying the good stuff, the price of doing it right the first time gets even cheaper.

David

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Dave, that's where I'm at. At my age I might not get another chance so I want to do it right this time. Sort of a legacy type thing. Besides that, being in the gun business for so many years I always tried to make sure that the firearm they were getting fit them and was right for what they were going after. Sort of a fetish of mine.

Last edited by coyote268; 08/24/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 11 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.