Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm hoping to stay through Wednesday morning. It may depend on when my son needs to get back and how my brother is doing.

Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, we'll put something together. And post it here so anybody else in the area can join us.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the kid will find a ride back to school, there are other folks in this area that go there too.

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good to me Dale. My brother often does a huge fish fry the weekend before the opener with a huge batch of Lake Erie perch. The last time I was home he did one of these and we fed about 30 people. It's some darned good fish. He really does a great job on it. Don't know how he'll be doing this fall, as he's getting knee surgery done soon.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gopher:

Good luck with the heart - and to your brother for the knee repair. Hunting camp with family and friends will be a great place to recuperate. Enjoying past memories and making new ones. Good luck!

Fred

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Fred. It's going to be hard to look across the trail at our good friend's camp that's changed hands. These were the last guys than hunted with my dad and our other original members. Wes, who was the ring leader over there is just in too bad of shape physically to hunt any more. For the last 10 years he hunted, he had a nice heated stand about 50 yards from the cabin. Deer cross through the area all the time, and he took several deer from there. These guys were good folks, and we were welcome over there any time. Great stories, card games, great meals-all the things that made a first class deer camp. Now they're no longer on the hill. One of their group, Ray will join us this fall. I can't wait to see him and hope to see him fill a tag. My son will be looking to fill his first tag too, and we will probably go up to where my dad used to post. If it's still standing, there's a tree up there with about 30 slash marks on it for many of the deer he shot from there, and one or two that stumbled in front of me too. I haven't been up there in decades. It's just to hard to relive it all again, but it's time for Eric to scratch a notch in that tree of his own before this camp is but a distant memory too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck Gophergunner.

My son is old enough to to fill his first deer tag this year. I'd always intended for him to shoot his first buck on or near the family farm in Clearfield County same as I did, and his grampap, great uncle, cousins, etc. I'd hoped as an aside to meet Dale K and maybe visit with Wyocoyotehunter again.

Ain't in the cards though this year.

Side note, my wife's sister lives down in VA, and is dating a fellow who's family owns a bar in Dubois, I can't remember the name of the bar off the top of my head, but small world eh?

MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Billy, find out the name of the spot in Dubois.. This may be our last year to make a hunt in that country.. But who knows.. Maybe another year...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
PM inbound

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
BillyGoat, too bad you can't make it this year. The good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, I'll be in DuBois next year and the next and the next...

If you're so inclined, PM me the bar name too, I may know them.

Dale

This space for rent

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Have been reading this thread with interest since I hunted Clearfield county many years ago. Wanted to note that todays paper states that there has been an outbreak of CWD in that area. Hunters will not be allowed to transport intact deer from the restricted areas. Parts of Jefferson and Clearfield counties are affected. The article states that there will be more information forthcoming on the Game Commissions website.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The info has been on the Game Commission website for awhile, they had a meeting at the DuBois High School the week before Labor Day. It was a deer farm deer, NOT a wild one.

CWD page:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1253813&mode=2

My Dad said the deer farm where the infected deer was found is south of Reynoldsville (Jefferson County) on Prescottville Road according to the map they had at the meeting.

Gophergunner's camp is outside the Disease Management Area, unfortunately for me, my Dad's farm is in it.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dale-I know you mentioned this before. Does this affect the Boone Mtn. area?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No, the northern boundary of the disease management area is I-80 so you're outside of it. Not by much but you're outside. There's a map on the page I linked above, it's DMA 3

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dale, but way too close for comfort. That's just one deer jumping a couple fences away from being a real problem for us.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gopher...good luck, sir. Wish I was in the area...I'd love to stop in and say hello.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone passing through on the I-80 corridor is only about 15 minutes from our cabin and welcome to stop.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When they create a disease management area around a known CWD location, they plan for a 10 mile radius. It varies a bit as they use roads, rivers etc. so it is easy to determine the boundary.

Your camp is probably 15 miles from the known case. I believe the deer farm was depopulated.

Dale

This space for rent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.